Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dell Now Offering More Ubuntu Developer Edition Options For Their Comet Lake XPS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dell Now Offering More Ubuntu Developer Edition Options For Their Comet Lake XPS

Phoronix: Dell Now Offering More Ubuntu Developer Edition Options For Their Comet Lake XPS

Dell has been offering the Dell XPS 7390 in "Developer Edition" form with Ubuntu 18.04 LTS for this newest XPS generation using 10th Gen Comet Lake CPUs while now they have added more hardware configuration options...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

There are no Dell XPS 13 7390 configurations with Ice Lake, so it's not surprising that there are no Developer Editions with those CPUs either.

Only 2-in-1 7390 is Ice Lake based - and there are no Comet Lake configurations there.

Comment

Typo:

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
      These 18 different options is the most they have ever offered for their "Developer Edition" Ubuntu-loadd laptop options.

Comment

Why has laptop memory capacity not increased for the past four years? 16GiB is not enough for me to do my job with any kind of efficiency. They complain of power use, but it can't be that crazy.
        Last edited by microcode; 31 October 2019, 07:16 PM.

Comment

The Windows XPS lineup ends up being cheaper anyways. It's not like many people actually are paying the normal sticker price. I've bought some XPS products and it's always been better to grab the Windows model and install Linux on it.

Comment

Originally posted by microcode View Post
            Why has laptop memory capacity not increased for the past four years? 16GiB is not enough for me to do my job with any kind of efficiency. They complain of power use, but it can't be that crazy.
            Some Dell laptops support 64GB but they won't ship it to you that way, so you have to throw out what they sell you and buy some more.... or just buy your laptop from system76.

Comment

I want oled, 16GB RAM and <=12nm but no one has that available.

AMD only has GX-224IJ, and A4-5100 at 28nm

ARM only offers 8GB RAM more commonly 4.

If only Samsung would make a 7nm 16GB RAM oled linux laptop.
              Last edited by elatllat; 31 October 2019, 10:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by microcode View Post
                Well, there are dex solutions for smartphones. You're phone will soon have more RAM than notebooks and the pace of hardware upgrades is just insane. 128MB 10 years ago, now 12GB. That's a 96x improvement. Meanwhile, laptops from 2009 had 4 to 8 GB, which translates to only 2..4x improvement.

Comment

Dear Dell, now try to guess what a developer really uses:
                  • a big display? (average of 42 open windows while developing)
                  • a good and handy keyboard? (developers actually use the keyboard, did you know?)
                  • a handy pointing device that doesn't get in your way? (those trackpoints really cut it, ever heard about?)
                  • lots of RAM? (IDE, emuiators, you name it)
                  Now let's look at what your "developer edition" laptops offer:
                  • a small display (with 4K option on a 13.3" display... like developers didn't know that's perfectly useless for software development at least)
                  • a small, no backlit keyboard. Backlight is not even an option. Let alone keys quality.
                  • a big touchpad that gets in your way and steals space from the keyboard.
                  • max 16GB of RAM
                  All those choices might be good for a certain category of users, but not for developers.

Now let's look at other "selling points" of those laptops that unfortunately most developers won't care about, ever:
                  • Ubuntu 18.04. Please. Any developer out there will replace that. IF a developer needs ANYTHING AT ALL operating system wise, that's a valid Windows license and a penguin on the box, just to be sure the laptop can run linux. The words "Ubuntu" and "Developer" usually do not play well together. The words "Outdated" and "Developer" are not even both included in the same vocabulary of any language.
                  • Elegance in three different styles. Yes, because you know, developers devote a whole life to elegance, design and style. That's exactly why they're being called nerds.
                  • Integrated (e.g. non-swappable) battery to save space and weight. Because you know, devs are very light in battery drain, they just browse the net... just in case any of them happen to use IDEs, compilers, emulators and the like, they can always resort to handy external powerbanks. They only had to sell a kidney to buy that ultrabook after all.
                  No, dear Dell. I'm afraid I won't buy one.
                  Last edited by lucrus; 01 November 2019, 01:42 PM.

Comment

16GB LPDDR3 2133MHz On-board
                    Is no-one else going to call Dell out on the fact this is still using DDR3 clocked at only 2133MHz?

These brand new chips support LP-DDR4 @2933MHz, yet we're only getting offered RAM that's based 6+ years old.

Shame on you Dell. I've always been a proud supporter of you, because of your strong Linux support, but these new laptops are weak and definitely no longer deserve the moniker of "Developer Edition". Come back to us when you can offer a "Developer Edition" with 32GB of the fastest RAM the chip support. We're willing to pay the premium, but you've got to offer the product first.

Comment

Working...
                    X