Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dell Now Offering More Ubuntu Developer Edition Options For Their Comet Lake XPS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lucrus View Post
    Dear Dell, now try to guess what a developer really uses:
    • a big display? (average of 42 windows open while developing)
    • a good and handy keyboard? (developers actually use the keyboard, did you know?)
    • a handy pointing device that doesn't get in your way? (those trackpoints really cut it, ever heard about?)
    • lots of RAM? (IDE, emuiators, you name it)
    Now let's look at what your "developer edition" laptops offer:
    • a small display (with 4K option on a 13.3" display... like developers didn't know that's perfectly useless for software development at least)
    • a small, no backlit keyboard. Backlight is not even an option. Let alone keys quality.
    • a big touchpad that gets in your way and steals space from the keyboard.
    • max 16GB of RAM
    All those choices might be good for a certain category of users, but not for developers.

Now let's look at other "selling points" of those laptops that unfortunately most developers won't care about, ever:
    • Ubuntu 18.04. Please. Any developer out there will replace that. IF a developer needs ANYTHING AT ALL operating system wise, that's a valid Windows license and a penguin on the box, just to be sure the laptop can run linux. The words "Ubuntu" and "Developer" usually do not play well together. The words "Outdated" and "Developer" are not even both included in the same vocabulary of any language.
    • Elegance in three different styles. Yes, because you know, developers devote a whole life to elegance, design and style. That's exactly why they're being called nerds.
    • Integrated (e.g. non-swappable) battery to save space and weight. Because you know, devs are very light in battery drain, they just browse the net... just in case any of them happen to use IDEs, compilers, emulators and the like, they can always resort to handy external powerbanks. They only had to sell a kidney to buy that ultrabook after all.
    No, dear Dell. I'm afraid I won't buy one.
    I agree with most of what you said. But most people buy not looking for functionality, but to look as cool as the kid with a Apple product, as moronic as that may be.

And of the OS of choice, funny thing is, most of the people I see are doing work using Ubuntu LTS. That is why companies like Dell and Lenovo offer it. You might not like it one bit, but other people do. In the end, whatever better option you mention, there always be someone like you saying the same things and preaching for another distro using sarcasm and disdain.

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post
      And of the OS of choice, funny thing is, most of the people I see are doing work using Ubuntu LTS. That is why companies like Dell and Lenovo offer it. You might not like it one bit, but other people do. In the end, whatever better option you mention, there always be someone like you saying the same things and preaching for another distro using sarcasm and disdain.
      Even Steam shows Ubuntu LTS as their most used Linux distribution.

For old-school, hardcore Linux folks, Ubuntu LTS is one of the last ones we'd pick.

For people who just want to sit down and use their computer, Ubuntu LTS makes a lot of sense.

Comment

Originally posted by microcode View Post
        Why has laptop memory capacity not increased for the past four years? 16GiB is not enough for me to do my job with any kind of efficiency. They complain of power use, but it can't be that crazy.
        because cloud. It's very irritating I agree.

Comment

Originally posted by vegabook View Post

because cloud. It's very irritating I agree.
          Yeah, fuck Cloud.

Sephiroth FTW.

Comment

• a big display? (average of 42 windows open while developing)
            • a good and handy keyboard? (developers actually use the keyboard, did you know?)
            • a handy pointing device that doesn't get in your way? (those trackpoints really cut it, ever heard about?)
            • lots of RAM? (IDE, emuiators, you name it)
            Now let's look at what your "developer edition" laptops offer:
            • a small display (with 4K option on a 13.3" display... like developers didn't know that's perfectly useless for software development at least)
            • a small, no backlit keyboard. Backlight is not even an option. Let alone keys quality.
            • a big touchpad that gets in your way and steals space from the keyboard.
            • max 16GB of RAM
            All those choices might be good for a certain category of users, but not for developers.

Now let's look at other "selling points" of those laptops that unfortunately most developers won't care about, ever:
            • Ubuntu 18.04. Please. Any developer out there will replace that. IF a developer needs ANYTHING AT ALL operating system wise, that's a valid Windows license and a penguin on the box, just to be sure the laptop can run linux. The words "Ubuntu" and "Developer" usually do not play well together. The words "Outdated" and "Developer" are not even both included in the same vocabulary of any language.
            • Elegance in three different styles. Yes, because you know, developers devote a whole life to elegance, design and style. That's exactly why they're being called nerds.
            • Integrated (e.g. non-swappable) battery to save space and weight. Because you know, devs are very light in battery drain, they just browse the net... just in case any of them happen to use IDEs, compilers, emulators and the like, they can always resort to handy external powerbanks. They only had to sell a kidney to buy that ultrabook after all.
            No, dear Dell. I'm afraid I won't buy one.
            For the most part you are right on here but I have to disagree a bit.

track pads, well implemented ones are wonderful. I find a large track pad to be a key feature.
            As for the display 4K isn’t required though it is nice but a 13” machines is most certainly a problem.

I have to agree with respect to batteries. I don’t know if any laptop that lasts if it is engaged in demanding work. You are lucky to get two hours out of machines advertised with 8 hours of battery life.

Comment

Originally posted by annunaki2k2 View Post
              Is no-one else going to call Dell out on the fact this is still using DDR3 clocked at only 2133MHz?

These brand new chips support LP-DDR4 @2933MHz, yet we're only getting offered RAM that's based 6+ years old.

Shame on you Dell. I've always been a proud supporter of you, because of your strong Linux support, but these new laptops are weak and definitely no longer deserve the moniker of "Developer Edition". Come back to us when you can offer a "Developer Edition" with 32GB of the fastest RAM the chip support. We're willing to pay the premium, but you've got to offer the product first.
              The bigger question is where can you buy better hardware configurations? At one time Apple offered real high performance laptops but they screwed that up royally. HP has left me with a very negative impression so even if they did I’m not sure I’d do business with them again. Seriously it is like the industry has lost interest in performance.

Comment

Ubuntu 18.04. Please. Any developer out there will replace that.
                I started using Linux in 1996 and fully switched to Linux a year later. I used to recompile every new version of the kernel as soon as available alongside gimp (at the time it was alpha software) and a few others. I used to recompile X11 as soon as something new was available (which did not happen that often). But for the last several years, I've mostly sticked to LTS releases. Why? Did I lost the spirit of adventure? I just have way too many other things to do than spend my life upgrading or recompiling mature software. Moreover, if the things I develop target the newest of the newest, most of my users (including myself when I use my own stuff) will get in trouble because their systems are not enough up-to-date. You would be amazed by how many obsolete software are still deployed in the real life. So either we target relatively "old" systems, so our stuff works everywhere or people just walk away and use something else (or nothing at all). And don't forget that keeping one system up to date is much easier than many systems with some legacy applications or even just complex configurations that have to be manually migrated...

Comment

Originally posted by wizard69 View Post
                  The bigger question is where can you buy better hardware configurations?
                  Mobile workstations are what most people would consider true work-grade laptops.
                  https://www.dell.com/en-us/work/shop...17-7730-laptop

Also HP and Lenovo call that class of laptops "mobile workstation"

Seriously it is like the industry has lost interest in performance.
                  It's more like laptops that cost less than 1k are midrange at best. Seriously why are you always wrong on anything you post.
                  Last edited by starshipeleven; 01 November 2019, 10:14 AM.

Comment

You need to understand that this device is targeting all "developers" that are using Apple laptops and those that would like to but can't afford one.
                    I'm sure you did notice the similarities to Apple products.

Comment

Originally posted by caligula View Post

Well, there are dex solutions for smartphones.
                      DeX has been discontinued.

Comment

Working...
                      X