Google Plumbing The Linux Support For Privacy Screens On Intel Laptops

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
    This is a kind of lousy attempt at a switchable "hardware privacy screen" that has been available for a long while for both laptops and smartphones in a non-switchable form https://panzerglass.com/how-do-priva...otectors-work/
    that is just a layer of plastic or glass that limits viewing angles by using polarized light filters (similar to the "no glare" technology used in sunglasses).
    Sure. That's been around since the 90's at least. But I don't think it works with polarized filters. I think it works with micro louver.

How they do that dynamically, and not as a material property, impresses me.

Comment

Just wait for Netflix/Hulu/Disney+/etc to enable this feature when present to prevent multiple viewers! Everyone should have their own subscription after all! But (hopefully) more seriously, I can imagine Adobe implementing this in Acrobat for protected documents.

Comment

that is just a layer of plastic or glass that limits viewing angles by using polarized light filters (similar to the "no glare" technology used in sunglasses).
        Yeah and that shit is seriously tiring to the eyes,,

Comment

Originally posted by AndyChow View Post
          Sure. That's been around since the 90's at least. But I don't think it works with polarized filters. I think it works with micro louver.
          Ah shoot, I got confused with the hack that allows you to see the screen only through goggles with polarized filters (which is not an actual product but a hack you can execute on your device.

Comment

Originally posted by aht0 View Post

Yeah and that shit is seriously tiring to the eyes,,
            Are you talking of the ones from 3M or the shit-grade ones from random brands (i.e. china)?

Because there is a marked difference and as all things screen-related it kinda pays off to not totally cheap out.

Comment

Are you talking of the ones from 3M or the shit-grade ones from random brands (i.e. china)?

Because there is a marked difference and as all things screen-related it kinda pays off to not totally cheap out.
              3M most likely. Half of the problem is probably the fact that these screens are taped 'over the edges' - edges, which are slightly offset from the actual surface of the panel, so that there's 2-3mm gap between panel and privacy screen..

Comment

Originally posted by aht0 View Post
                3M most likely. Half of the problem is probably the fact that these screens are taped 'over the edges' - edges, which are slightly offset from the actual surface of the panel, so that there's 2-3mm gap between panel and privacy screen..
                2-3 mm gap is kind of huge, that's very not mounted properly. It should be flat against it and the thing should be rigid enough to hold itself steady without moving if taped at the edges.

Don't quote me on this being anywhere near standard as I'm not installing privacy screens very often if at all, but I remember that a long time ago (laptops were still using 4:3 screens), when I installed some of these things and the plastic was not strong, I added some clear mineral oil of some kind between the screen and the plastic to hold it close to the screen with surface tension, in addition to the tape at the edges. Was part of the screen kit, not my own invention. Not glue, just a few drops of oil. It was a bitch to assemble without creating bubbles, but apart from that the end result was pretty good imho.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                  Imagine opening up incognito mode in your browser and it just automatically applies the filter.
                  ....then it'd be on all day because I use incognito windows ~95% of the time!

Comment

Working...
                  X