Google Plumbing The Linux Support For Privacy Screens On Intel Laptops

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Google Plumbing The Linux Support For Privacy Screens On Intel Laptops

Phoronix: Google Plumbing The Linux Support For Privacy Screens On Intel Laptops

A number of recent laptops have begun appearing that offer support for built-in privacy screens with the press of a button. These privacy screens reduce much of the visible light when viewed at angles to try to block out the screen contents from anyone that may be sitting besides the user. Linux has finally begun seeing this support prepared...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

How ironic!
    Guess the title was intended as clickbait, considering Google is the arch-enemy of privacy.

(don't worry. I know privacy filters and digital privacy are different things)

Comment

Google. Privacy. Now that's an oxymoron if there ever was one.

Comment

Wow, I had no idea this technology existed. What a time to be alive.

Comment

Originally posted by AndyChow View Post
          It's been around for years, it's called a TN panel

Comment

Also in the news the child catcher from Chitty Chitty Bang Bang has now been made child protection officer.

Comment

Originally posted by sandy8925 View Post
              It's been around for years, it's called a TN panel
              Can you please explain how to toggle on the "better viewing angles" on my TN panels please? I think they are stuck in "privacy mode".

Comment

Originally posted by AndyChow View Post
                This is a kind of lousy attempt at a switchable "hardware privacy screen" that has been available for a long while for both laptops and smartphones in a non-switchable form https://panzerglass.com/how-do-priva...otectors-work/
                that is just a layer of plastic or glass that limits viewing angles by using polarized light filters (similar to the "no glare" technology used in sunglasses).
                Last edited by starshipeleven; 24 October 2019, 07:35 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                  Can you please explain how to toggle on the "better viewing angles" on my TN panels please? I think they are stuck in "privacy mode".
                  The TN panels have closed source firmware blobs with the privacy setting turned on.
                  You'll have to obtain an IPS panel which you can then program to turn on the better viewing angles.

Comment

I knew of the physical filters you could put over your display but I never knew of ones that were controlled through software.

Either way, being able to trigger it through software is pretty cool. Imagine opening up incognito mode in your browser and it just automatically applies the filter. Or if there's a login prompt, it automatically applies the filter. I figure these filters would be good at LAN parties too.

Comment

Working...
                    X