X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• profoundWHALE
    replied
    Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
    He isn't aware that his phone is listening, and is not into the technical stuff.
    That's probably the biggest hurdle for those of us who do know about it. It's like a mechanic telling you that something is wrong when you're like "but it's running fine!"

I've got about another year or two before getting a new phone. I just hope the next Librem will be out then.

Leave a comment:

• tildearrow
    replied
    Originally posted by profoundWHALE View Post

Ask him if his phone has any sort of voice recognition (such as Ok Google).
    It does. I don't need to ask.
    He bought the phone only a few months ago.

Next ask him how a phone can know you're talking to it unless it is always listening.
    He isn't aware that his phone is listening, and is not into the technical stuff.

Next ask him how Google would be able to collect enough voice data to even recognize human voice, let alone understand what the words mean.
    Ditto.

You need to be listening to voice before you can understand voice.

If it cannot understand voice then no-one will use it because no apps will use it because it doesn't work.

Therefore it would have needed to be listening before any basic voice recognition software could be made.
    That's for ICS... back when Google wasn't extremely invasive about privacy.

Leave a comment:

• profoundWHALE
    replied

Exactly! I tried to tell this to my teacher, and then he believed me and stopped using his phone when I talk to him.
    However, yesterday he was acting different... I told him to turn off the phone and he told me "nooo, don't worry, it's, it's... it's a simple thing. these phone do not do anything, it's simple, they, it, it, it's nothing. I have checked. it... it's nothing"...

It really drove me insane!
    Ask him if his phone has any sort of voice recognition (such as Ok Google).

Next ask him how a phone can know you're talking to it unless it is always listening.

Next ask him how Google would be able to collect enough voice data to even recognize human voice, let alone understand what the words mean.

Originally posted by Google
    “Android 4.0 introduces a powerful new voice input engine that offers a continuous “open microphone” experience and streaming voice recognition. The new voice input engine lets you dictate the text you want, for as long as you want, using the language you want. You can speak continuously for a prolonged time, even pausing for intervals if needed, and dictate punctuation to create correct sentences. ” – Google for Ice Cream Sandwich About
    You need to be listening to voice before you can understand voice.

If it cannot understand voice then no-one will use it because no apps will use it because it doesn't work.

Therefore it would have needed to be listening before any basic voice recognition software could be made.

Leave a comment:

• pal666
    replied
    Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
    Isn't it using a Vivante GPU like all other Marvell SoCs?
    for some reason i thought it uses mali. point still stands, etnaviv is even more manpower starved

Leave a comment:

• tildearrow
    replied
    Originally posted by cynical View Post

It's funny to me. How do people think phones can respond to your voice?
    OK Google

*suddenly, a few phones activate*

Leave a comment:

• cynical
    replied

Exactly! I tried to tell this to my teacher, and then he believed me and stopped using his phone when I talk to him.
    However, yesterday he was acting different... I told him to turn off the phone and he told me "nooo, don't worry, it's, it's... it's a simple thing. these phone do not do anything, it's simple, they, it, it, it's nothing. I have checked. it... it's nothing"...

It's funny to me. How do people think phones can respond to your voice? We humans have to be able to hear things before we can respond too...

Leave a comment:

• tildearrow
    replied
    Originally posted by Black_Fox View Post

Wow... except for the direct quotes from the Pine guys, that was a harsh post.
    Don't worry. danmcgrew tends to severely demean its surroundings to no end, only because he is a poet.

Leave a comment:

• tildearrow
    replied
    Originally posted by danmcgrew View Post

You absolutely can NOT have have failed to noticed that your request for elaboration from this self-serving rocket scientist has gone unanswered. It will remain so, because the only valid answer this clown can provide is that he is regaling us purely with his personal opinion, and expecting us to believe him.
    Perhaps the answer to this room-temperature-IQ "expert" is to be found in the last paragraph of the following:

From Pine64‘s "October Update: PineTime, Delays and Shipping News" ( https://www.pine64.com )

"[EDIT 18/10/2019] Since writing this blog entry I provided an update on the situation (Pinebook Pro, PinePhone and PineTime [the 'PineTime' is Pine's $20.00 'SmartWatch'] dev kits shipping) on the forum. Click here."

["Clicking here" gets you to...]

...and here is ONE of Pine64's answer to a commenter, regarding 'open-ness', and the Librem device--

"Hey,
    About being open: I see no other way for PINE64. In a sense this is more of a typical open-source project than a 'company', and most of it is community ran. To this end, there is no traditional divide between the device vendor and the community. You want to write for the blog or even edit the front page? - ping me. Want to edit the wiki - you can do so already ... any part or it too, just use the forum creds. Want to see something in the next products we announce? - you can talk to me and TL [the founder of Pine] any day of the week (pretty much) in the chats. Doesn't take much to convince us to do X or Y if its sound. The PinePhone is a prime example of this - it was built from the ground up with devs and community input. "

"As for the Librem5: Looks like they have a very interesting device on their hands. I wholeheartedly hope they'll succeed in achieving their goals with - the more Linux phones on the market the better for everyone. There is place for both devices ... and many more to come I hope."

Welcome to true open-ness, honesty, and lack of any rancor regarding the competition, folks.

Based on some of the self-serving comments here, it'll probably be too much for some of you to handle. I suggest you types don't read anything from Pine, or anything positive about Pine; simply keep wallowing in your well-cultivated and hard-won stupidity and pre-conceived notions.

************************************************** **************************
    "Do not share the truth with those who don't deserve it."--Mark Twain

"Most people will believe facts to be true, but only if those facts agree with what they already believe."--anon

************************************************** **************************

Si tacuisses, philosophus mansisses.

Leave a comment:

• tildearrow
    replied
    I'm really looking forward to this phone releasing. The thing that my phones have the most trouble with is calling and I know for a fact that the microphone is recording things regardless of my settings.

Leave a comment:

• Ray_o
    replied
    Originally posted by Toggleton View Post

What would be the point of that? The Unique selling point is that is build for the Linux ecosystem. The android market is already saturated so if you would throw that Device on that Market it will compete with cheap Android devices from China.

Or the user will buy a Pixel and flash GrapheneOS or so on it. Or look at the Fairphone that has an interesting concept
    you still benefit from what they have done with their phone like separating baseband from the cpu, kill switches and open drivers. add to that the lower price, software availability and shipping the device earlier.
    when it comes to linux, they could give people who are interested in this phone a timeline, when they are going to work on it and when it's going to be ready.
    Last edited by Ray_o; 25 October 2019, 05:45 AM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X