Purism Provides Update On Librem 5 Shipping, Known Issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

Exactly! I tried to tell this to my teacher, and then he believed me and stopped using his phone when I talk to him.
    However, yesterday he was acting different... I told him to turn off the phone and he told me "nooo, don't worry, it's, it's... it's a simple thing. these phone do not do anything, it's simple, they, it, it, it's nothing. I have checked. it... it's nothing"...

It really drove me insane!
    Ask him if his phone has any sort of voice recognition (such as Ok Google).

Next ask him how a phone can know you're talking to it unless it is always listening.

Next ask him how Google would be able to collect enough voice data to even recognize human voice, let alone understand what the words mean.

Originally posted by Google
    “Android 4.0 introduces a powerful new voice input engine that offers a continuous “open microphone” experience and streaming voice recognition. The new voice input engine lets you dictate the text you want, for as long as you want, using the language you want. You can speak continuously for a prolonged time, even pausing for intervals if needed, and dictate punctuation to create correct sentences. ” – Google for Ice Cream Sandwich About
    You need to be listening to voice before you can understand voice.

If it cannot understand voice then no-one will use it because no apps will use it because it doesn't work.

Therefore it would have needed to be listening before any basic voice recognition software could be made.

Comment

Originally posted by profoundWHALE View Post

Ask him if his phone has any sort of voice recognition (such as Ok Google).
      It does. I don't need to ask.
      He bought the phone only a few months ago.

Next ask him how a phone can know you're talking to it unless it is always listening.
      He isn't aware that his phone is listening, and is not into the technical stuff.

Next ask him how Google would be able to collect enough voice data to even recognize human voice, let alone understand what the words mean.
      Ditto.

You need to be listening to voice before you can understand voice.

If it cannot understand voice then no-one will use it because no apps will use it because it doesn't work.

Therefore it would have needed to be listening before any basic voice recognition software could be made.
      That's for ICS... back when Google wasn't extremely invasive about privacy.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
        He isn't aware that his phone is listening, and is not into the technical stuff.
        That's probably the biggest hurdle for those of us who do know about it. It's like a mechanic telling you that something is wrong when you're like "but it's running fine!"

I've got about another year or two before getting a new phone. I just hope the next Librem will be out then.

Comment

Working...
        X