Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Purism Provides Update On Librem 5 Shipping, Known Issues

Phoronix: Purism Provides Update On Librem 5 Shipping, Known Issues

Following the closure of Librem 5 initial "Aspen" batch shipping window and it coming out that the devices were just sent to employees/insiders, Purism has now provided more information on the shipping windows ahead and known issues...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I'm looking forward to batch number 20: "rotted driftwood".

Comment

FWIW: All the new 5G phones are having terrible thermal throttling issues. You only get a couple of minutes of high rate before it kicks you down to LTE so it can cool off.

Mobile 5G is still a WIP.

The fact Librem is having thermal issues is not surprising even if it is not a 5G phone (yet).

Comment

Originally posted by edwaleni View Post
        FWIW: All the new 5G phones are having terrible thermal throttling issues. You only get a couple of minutes of high rate before it kicks you down to LTE so it can cool off.

Mobile 5G is still a WIP.

The fact Librem is having thermal issues is not surprising even if it is not a 5G phone (yet).
        They can only make crap so thin with next-to-no heat syncs for so long....

Can I get an extra 8mm in thickness so my phone works as advertised for more than 62 seconds before it throttles itself? Is that asking for too much?

Comment

Originally posted by edwaleni View Post
          Exactly how it was with LTE back then, people complained about battery drain and overheating

Comment

'We put the CPU in the wrong place' seems like the kind of issue that should have been noticed before production.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

They can only make crap so thin with next-to-no heat syncs for so long....

Can I get an extra 8mm in thickness so my phone works as advertised for more than 62 seconds before it throttles itself? Is that asking for too much?
              Have you seen what a brick the Librem 5 is already? I hope, you are kidding about the additional 8mm...

Comment

The gnome stack is not exactly easy on the CPU either and keeping it busy with bloat == heat ...

Comment

Originally posted by GruenSein View Post

Have you seen what a brick the Librem 5 is already? I hope, you are kidding about the additional 8mm...
                  It's not that bad considering how old some of its hardware is combined with their hardware toggle switches.

I was just jabbing fun at the thin 5g phones more than anything there.

Comment

Originally posted by Teggs View Post
                    'We put the CPU in the wrong place' seems like the kind of issue that should have been noticed before production.
                    Yup, which is why it's noticed now. They haven't started production yet. They just have prototypes that seemed to work so they decided to ship it to some people. The real production seems to be in Q2 2020.

Comment

Working...
                    X