Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Purism Provides Update On Librem 5 Shipping, Known Issues

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #21
    Originally posted by GraysonPeddie View Post
    I'm not in the rush to purchase Purism Librem 5, so I can wait until Spring 2020. I'm currently about 18 months left for my Google Pixel 3a, so that will be 6 months left for May of next year. I'm still hyped when it comes to Librem 5, though. Removable battery is one of my biggest factor when buying a smartphone running Linux.
    AFAIK Librem 5 still doesn't have a removable battery. This is the sole reason my interest switched to the PinePhone.

    Comment


    • #22
      Originally posted by pal666 View Post
      i don't remember seeing them doing mali(largest missing driver piece) development
      Isn't it using a Vivante GPU like all other Marvell SoCs?

      Comment


      • #23
        Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post

        Isn't it using a Vivante GPU like all other Marvell SoCs?
        Yes and they are using Etnaviv.
        Michael Larabel
        https://www.michaellarabel.com/

        Comment


        • #24
          Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
          Djhg2000 The battery can be replaced.
          Yes, with basic tools. That's not the same as simply popping off the rear cover with your fingers and pulling out the battery.

          Comment


          • #25
            Originally posted by Djhg2000 View Post

            Yes, with basic tools. That's not the same as simply popping off the rear cover with your fingers and pulling out the battery.
            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74dhBddET2E it is just that way no tools needed (I don't think it will change it in a later Batch)

            Comment


            • #26
              Originally posted by Toggleton View Post

              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74dhBddET2E it is just that way no tools needed (I don't think it will change it in a later Batch)
              That is very odd. I very clearly remember how this wasn't the plan, I asked them last spring and at that time they said it would be replaceable as in you can open up the phone, disconnect the battery cable and put in a new one. Seems like they changed their mind since then.

              I guess I stand corrected. Thanks for providing a good source as well.

              Comment


              • #27
                Originally posted by Djhg2000 View Post

                That is very odd. I very clearly remember how this wasn't the plan, I asked them last spring and at that time they said it would be replaceable as in you can open up the phone, disconnect the battery cable and put in a new one. Seems like they changed their mind since then.

                I guess I stand corrected. Thanks for providing a good source as well.
                I guess it was the plan to have at least "User replaceable with tools" so not glued into the case. AFAIK was it not clear until that video. Maybe they had different Case designs and if the Design with the back plate would not work that well they had switched to the fallback design with Battery replaceable only with tools

                Comment


                • #28
                  Originally posted by Raka555 View Post
                  The gnome stack is not exactly easy on the CPU either and keeping it busy with bloat == heat ...
                  You right..
                  When you start to notice GObject libraries and its dependencies..
                  And you will realise the amount of CPU/memory resources that will be needed to go GTK..

                  Enlightenment seems to be the right choice here( that no one picks.. also because it has no real applications for it.. ).
                  If Linux want to be the best in mobile space, I think Enlightenment, is the way to go..

                  Comment


                  • #29
                    Enlightenment has already been a base for Om2008 and SHR distributions.

                    As one of SHR developers back then, I can say that it was pretty light indeed, but a bit of PITA to work with, as it was a constantly moving target.

                    Comment


                    • #30
                      Well, here's to hoping they can pull through in one way or another. All the recent bad publicity (with CTO leaving and stuff) isn't exactly helping, too.

                      Note, I don't give a damn about Purism as a company, maybe they're actually as bad as they're being painted. The vanilla GNU/Linux phone is what I care for.

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X