No announcement yet.

Purism Provides Update On Librem 5 Shipping, Known Issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm not in the rush to purchase Purism Librem 5, so I can wait until Spring 2020. I'm currently about 18 months left for my Google Pixel 3a, so that will be 6 months left for May of next year. I'm still hyped when it comes to Librem 5, though. Removable battery is one of my biggest factor when buying a smartphone running Linux.

Comment

I'm really looking forward to this phone releasing. The thing that my phones have the most trouble with is calling and I know for a fact that the microphone is recording things regardless of my settings.

Comment

Originally posted by Teggs View Post
        'We put the CPU in the wrong place' seems like the kind of issue that should have been noticed before production.
        Not as spooky as what the PinePhone is going through. Those guys sound like hobbyists trying to create a phone from a Pi clone.

Comment

Originally posted by Teggs View Post
          'We put the CPU in the wrong place' seems like the kind of issue that should have been noticed before production.
          You're right. I guess they didn't test with actual phone cases in real world use cases until now. Probably just tested thermal performance with developer kits, in air conditioned environments where of course there was no thermal throttling or overheating.

This is why you need to first gain experience in these things, before making actual devices.

Comment

just curious what people think about this. Don't you think it would be much better if they went with android(without google services though don't know how the experience is going to be) as it's going to be time and cost effective. They would have more time to work on the hardware and the device would cost less and after they ship the phone they could start working on their distribution and offer it later for people who want it.

Comment

Thermal throttling issues on a device with an all aluminium frame, i.e one structural heatsink?

Only way that makes any kind of sense is if they placed the SoC on the side of the main board that facing the display. In which case that's going to cause a pretty big re-working of the whole board to fix. For their sake I hope they're using the autorouter in Eagle CAD or Toporouter in KiCad because otherwise that's going to be a huge amount of work re-working everything down to the gerber files (the final result you send the PCB fabricators).

Comment

Originally posted by edwaleni View Post

Not as spooky as what the PinePhone is going through. Those guys sound like hobbyists trying to create a phone from a Pi clone.
                Can you elaborate why PinePhone guys sound like hobbyists? I don't follow either of the projects too deeply, but they seemed to be simply more open and detailed with their issues, which to me actually makes a more professional impression.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray_o View Post
                  just curious what people think about this. Don't you think it would be much better if they went with android(without google services though don't know how the experience is going to be) as it's going to be time and cost effective. They would have more time to work on the hardware and the device would cost less and after they ship the phone they could start working on their distribution and offer it later for people who want it.
                  What would be the point of that? The Unique selling point is that is build for the Linux ecosystem. The android market is already saturated so if you would throw that Device on that Market it will compete with cheap Android devices from China.

Or the user will buy a Pixel and flash GrapheneOS or so on it. Or look at the Fairphone that has an interesting concept

Comment

Originally posted by edwaleni View Post
                    FWIW: All the new 5G phones are having terrible thermal throttling issues. You only get a couple of minutes of high rate before it kicks you down to LTE so it can cool off.

Mobile 5G is still a WIP.

The fact Librem is having thermal issues is not surprising even if it is not a 5G phone (yet).
                    well, 5g stuff is completely unrelated. it's in different chip(and those chips of current generation are quite hungry), librem has thermal issues on its weak cpu, that is ridiculous

Comment

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
                      Social purpose corporation doing Free software and Freeing hardware drivers. Lovely.
                      i don't remember seeing them doing mali(largest missing driver piece) development

Comment

Working...
                      X