Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

WireGuard Restored In Android's Google Play Store After Brief But Controversial Removal

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by macemoneta View Post
    Why don't they just do what every other app in the Play Store does, and have a "Pro" version to pay for the app? I'd pay $10 for Wireguard, which means they get $7.
    WireGuard is open source and free.

Comment

Originally posted by zx2c4 View Post

If they leave the free version in the store and make it clear the paid version is the same things but for those who want to donate, I'm not sure what the difference is from what we have now.

Well, i do - Google gets a 30% cut if the donations go through their store, and nothing if they don't. That's the difference.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post

If they leave the free version in the store <...>
        zx2c4 is the author of WireGuard

Comment

As has been previously suggested:

"A simple workaround would be for the WireGuard developers to offer two versions on Google Play:
          (1) a full-featured free version, and
          (2) a reasonably-priced paid version for those who wish to pay [to support Wireguard development].

The paid version need not offer any features beyond those in the free version.

Problem solved." (Emphasis and formatting added.)

And as others have suggested, you can make clear on the Play Store page that the paid (Pro) version offers no additional features, and is only available for those who wish to help support Wireguard. Although the paid (Pro) version would offer no additional features, it could include some "Pro" branding, as a thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by Mangix View Post

Open source people have a weird attitude towards making money.

You probably mean free software people? So yes, it is called altruism, morality or ethics. You should try that, it will give you the greatest everlasting joy. But it is costly, something only the very rich can afford. You might also call it wisdom or pure selfishness for that matter. Long live the Stallman.

edit: Oh, the guard's coveted crypto-unit should be finally admitted
            Last edited by Bbox; 10-19-2019, 06:24 AM. Reason: for the sake of truth

Comment

That doesn't stop random, shady as hell people from forking open source projects, especially game console emulators, and releasing that in various app stores with free with ads and pro or ad free versions that sit right next to the actual open source and free app on the same stores.

Since you're the author, you might as well release the "Pro" version before some random, shady asshole releases your software and makes money on it. Like you said, it's open source and free so there is nothing legally stopping anyone from doing shady stuff like that as long as they keep just enough crap on GitHub to not violate the license.

Comment

Originally posted by Bbox View Post

You probably mean free software people? So yes, it is called altruism, morality or ethics. You should try that, it will give you the greatest everlasting joy. But it is costly, something only the very rich can afford. You might also call it wisdom or pure selfishness for that matter. Long live the Stallman.

edit: Oh, the guard's coveted crypto-unit should be finally admitted
                There is nothing wrong or immoral with selling free software.

I have no issues what-so-ever that I can just download a free version of Suse that I support myself using community forums and documentation or that I can pay for a version of Suse that provides tech support.

I have no issues what-so-ever that I can get on the Play Store and download a PSP emulator for free without ads as well as have the option to buy a "Pro" version that does nothing extra but support the author and provides me with a spiffy, golden icon, so I own PPSSPP Gold because I like to support open source developers in what little ways that I can.

Morality and ethics works both ways.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
                  I have no issues what-so-ever that I can get on the Play Store and download a PSP emulator for free without ads as well as have the option to buy a "Pro" version that does nothing extra but support the author and provides me with a spiffy, golden icon, so I own PPSSPP Gold because I like to support open source developers in what little ways that I can.
                  Yep. PPSSPP and PPSSP Gold are perfect examples.

Comment

Working...
                  X