Purism Shares More Photos Of Initial Librem 5 Phones, PureOS UI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

My parents have phones with replaceable batteries, and they aren't that thick...?
    Well, there are batteries of different sizes. I don't know what battery they have. But sure, if not for the m.2s, the battery could've been made thinner and longer, making the phone slimmer. They can do things to slim it down somewhat in the future, but I really wouldn't care much about the thickness. That's not the goal.

Comment

I had big expectations for this phone..
      but then I read:
      FM Radio : NO
      I was expecting FM Radio..
      No way.. for that, we could stay with PinePhone phone, cheaper, and seems more operating systems support it..

Comment

My biggest thing with my phone is navigation. That is what got me to move to a smartphone, and what keeps me on Android. Google Maps has saved my but being stuck in traffic too many times to count.

Comment

Originally posted by tuxd3v View Post
          I I was expecting FM Radio..
          No way.. for that, we could stay with PinePhone phone, cheaper, and seems more operating systems support it..
          For what do you still need FM radio? What is the use case for that?

Well the librem 5 comes pre installed with PureOS(Debian based) and the gnome like Phone UI. I would guess that it will be not that hard to use a different Operation System cause they push as much as possible to Upstream.(not sure if mainline Kernel support is already that great but i think it will come over time)

here is a video of UBports running on the librem5 dev kit https://matrix.org/_matrix/media/r0/...kKXHbVJVlFuyGP

and a few month old one of Plasma mobile https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_rU1WbJq-M

I guess if the Community would like to have a different Distro or mobile UI the Community will try to get it working

Comment

The (official) photos were taken with Samsung NX300; nice to see someone is still using that system.

Comment

Originally posted by jpnc View Post

I am happy they are focusing their passion and dedication on much more important pieces of the software stack than "which font choices will tildearrow find disappointing?"

If you feel you represent the 5% of users that find this to be a showstopper, how about doing everyone a favor and submitting a patch instead of just whining in a forum thread?
              Because I know my patch will be rejected, since apparently nobody cares that DejaVu takes more horizontal space. So what is the freaking point?!

Furthermore I never cried like a kid about it and it was not meant to be a showstopper. It was a comment added when the show ended.
              Last edited by tildearrow; 17 October 2019, 08:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
                PureOS will see better performance and more features as they rebase to GNOME 3.34. Likely 2020.
                Plus one of their engineers told me that there is plenty of room for optimization for the hardware. They know what they need to do but didn't have time to do it because of all the foundational work that they had to accomplish to get the phone out the door.

Comment

Originally posted by Toggleton View Post
                  For what do you still need FM radio? What is the use case for that?
                  Because FM Radio, is one of the most interesting Features in a phone..

I pay for it in the Electricity/Water bills, and its free to use, long battery life, its a must have!

Comment

Working...
                  X