No announcement yet.

Purism Shares More Photos Of Initial Librem 5 Phones, PureOS UI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The phone isn't really "shipping" yet unless you are using Purism's twisted definition of it. None of the phones have been sent out to buyers yet. I'd appreciate it if Phoronix wasn't just copying Purism's marketing claims.

Comment

Is this 1999? That thing is massive.

Comment

The notifications look nicer than how they appear in GNOME Shell.

Comment

Call me crazy but I can remember what killswitch is which by its order in relativity to the edge.

Yeah its thick its 1st gen. hope gen 2 will iron out some of the kinks

Comment

For those of you complaining about the size, what do you expect when you've got a phone with interchangeable parts? You can't have it all. The additional thickness is barely an issue. Most wallets are thicker than this.

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
            That flashlight is massive... and apparently the camera doesn't have any protective glass...
            I for one prefer a larger flashlight. Most are too small. And what makes you think the camera isn't protected? From what I can tell, it is. If you look at the photo with the back lid off, you can see the camera is on a ribbon cable and is bent at a weird angle, but with the lid on it appears to be parallel with the lid. I guess the glass is just very clean.
            Oh, of course, the default website font still is DejaVu Sans. Come on, what is wrong with just removing that horrible font from /usr/share/fonts??
            lol you really hate that font. I recall you bringing that font up before at least once a while back.
            That "OpenStreetMap" text takes more than half the screen... Using Roboto it only takes slightly less than half the screen...
            Well I guess the nice thing about a phone like this is you get the choice to replace such things.

Comment

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post
              Wow, this is THICK!
              Well, I thought the phone shape represents the manliness of the owner. Isn't that why Apple phones are so thin?

Comment

I was expecting for people to start cracking jokes about the thickness and I wasn't disappointed.

Seriously thou, I didn't expect them to go with a full size m.2 slot inside the device, but considering that's what they're using and that it's probably the only practical solution for this "Never trust binaries you can't compile from source yourself"-issue. Thus I can't blame them for making a device that looks so heavy and sturdy you can probably use it as a hammer.

The device they showed in the first images looked about as well put together as a British Leyland car from the 1970s, but the one in these shots looks fairly neatly put together. My guess would be that the device in the first shot was either the first one off the assembly line or very near that and with this device they've had the time to put some refinement and fix a few mistakes.

Comment

Originally posted by wizard69 View Post
                  Honestly it is a bit massive.
                  It might be, but you should consider this is:
                  - an early batch
                  - first of its kind

Comment

Originally posted by L_A_G View Post
                    I was expecting for people to start cracking jokes about the thickness and I wasn't disappointed.
                    The funniest part is, people seem to have forgotten how these were common 25 years ago: http://www.mobieltjes-museum.nl/vint...s/image126.htm

The Purism phone doesn't look that thick when comparing to Android phones from early 2010s. Those used to be pretty advanced tech just a while ago.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                      I for one prefer a larger flashlight. Most are too small.
                      While large flashlights are fine, the problem is that part of the PCB is visible, and the window is as huge as the camera.

And what makes you think the camera isn't protected? From what I can tell, it is. If you look at the photo with the back lid off, you can see the camera is on a ribbon cable and is bent at a weird angle, but with the lid on it appears to be parallel with the lid. I guess the glass is just very clean.
                      OK, I see the glass now. Thanks.

lol you really hate that font. I recall you bringing that font up before at least once a while back.
                      Yes, I do. It represents lack of dedication and passion.

Well I guess the nice thing about a phone like this is you get the choice to replace such things.
                      I could, but what about the rest?
                      It's not like I should tell 95% of users to replace it?

Comment

Working...
                      X