X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cape
    replied
    Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

wouldn't be too surprised if that's also a setting Gnome has (or available via plugin).
    I wouldn't be surprised at all if Gnome didn't have settings available.

Leave a comment:

• Cape
    replied
    Yes! This will pair very nicely with my Librem5 šŸ¤—ā™„ļø!

I still hate default theme though. That gray+blue look it's a retina killer šŸ¤¢
    Breeze need to be killed
    ā€‹ā€‹ā€‹ā€‹ā€‹ā€‹

Leave a comment:

• Jimbrashear
    replied
    Originally posted by Britoid View Post

Defaults do matter. They're what someone who's new to a desktop and isn't aware of if a setting exists or not is going to use.
    I don't disagree at all on that. I'm simply saying Plasma can be made to look better than any other DE. The default look could be better, but I find a certain disingenuous mentality when the same people saying XFCE is leaner, looks don't matter performance does, and all that then turn around and nitpick a default font.

Leave a comment:

• skeevy420
    replied

GNOME renamed their app names but just kept those as their project names. Gedit shows up as Text Editor.
    FWIW, That can be done in KDE Plasma too. It's an option in their menu settings to use the actual name or a descriptive name like "Audio Player" for, like, Amarok and "Text Editor" for Kate. I wouldn't be too surprised if that's also a setting Gnome has (or available via plugin).

Leave a comment:

• skeevy420
    replied
    Originally posted by andrei_me View Post
    I use KDE on my laptop, and looking through the mobile screenshot I found them ugly and pretty at the same time.

Ugly when looking to it using a Android mindset
    Pretty when looking to it as KDE user
    That's what I was thinking.

It reminds me of modern Android with a Froyo/Gingerbread skin. The 2.2/3.0 era of Android was not winning any beauty contests and was the dawn of that horrid theme engine era where every couple of rom updates the themes would all break or there would just be a whole new theme method.

If Android can do this:

So can KDE Plasma Mobile.
    (especially since one of Plasma's main things is customizing the appearance)

Leave a comment:

• Baguy
    replied
    Originally posted by milkylainen View Post

Second that. But mainly for their asinine behavior of naming more or less every application as K-something or some other useless name.
    Branding that sticks really isn't their forte. They should hire somebody to spruce up the fascia.
    They don't actually encourage that anymore. I don't know if you've noticed but alot of KDE applications are not named after KDE... Elsa, Clazy, Heaptrack, Cervisa, Umbrello, Blinken, GCompris, Marble, Rocs, Falkon, Minuet, Dolphin, Step, etc.

Leave a comment:

• slalomsk8er
    replied

GNOME renamed their app names but just kept those as their project names. Gedit shows up as Text Editor.
    Oh yes, I remember trying to find the solution to a problem with a gnome application by searching online.
    It's very user friendly to call your mail application mail but good luck finding a tutorial about advanced features online - oh now I understand why they remove those

Leave a comment:

• Britoid
    replied
    Originally posted by Nth_man View Post
    > as K-something

It followed the older tradition of X programs having an x in front of their name, like xterm, xcalc, xbiff, xedit, xlogo, etc.

Besides, it's not like this sort of things didn't happen with other DEs.

GNOME: Gnote, gThumb, GDM, gedit, etc.
    Enlightenment: Elive, Entrance, ePhoto, etc.
    LXDE: LXAppearance, LXDM, etc.

Just to name a few examples.

Apple started doing the same with the prefix ā€œiā€.

Leave a comment:

• Britoid
    replied
    Originally posted by Jimbrashear View Post
    Plasma has literally the best most modern UI of any Linux desktop. Y'all act like just because the default theme sucks everything does.

As for the last post, blur on the background was modern circa 2014. It's not modern now.
    Defaults do matter. They're what someone who's new to a desktop and isn't aware of if a setting exists or not is going to use.

Leave a comment:

• ferry
    replied
    That said, am I the only one that finds the Breeze icons (the black and white flat icons in KDE and Libreoffice, and now in the Plasma Mobile) both ugly and unusable? Fortunately, they are easily changed to Oxygen.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X