KDE Plasma Mobile Is Beginning To Look Surprisingly Good

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by andrei_me View Post
    I use KDE on my laptop, and looking through the mobile screenshot I found them ugly and pretty at the same time.

Ugly when looking to it using a Android mindset
    Pretty when looking to it as KDE user
    That's what I was thinking.

It reminds me of modern Android with a Froyo/Gingerbread skin. The 2.2/3.0 era of Android was not winning any beauty contests and was the dawn of that horrid theme engine era where every couple of rom updates the themes would all break or there would just be a whole new theme method.

If Android can do this:

So can KDE Plasma Mobile.
    (especially since one of Plasma's main things is customizing the appearance)

Comment

Originally posted by Britoid View Post

GNOME renamed their app names but just kept those as their project names. Gedit shows up as Text Editor.
      FWIW, That can be done in KDE Plasma too. It's an option in their menu settings to use the actual name or a descriptive name like "Audio Player" for, like, Amarok and "Text Editor" for Kate. I wouldn't be too surprised if that's also a setting Gnome has (or available via plugin).

Comment

Originally posted by Britoid View Post

Defaults do matter. They're what someone who's new to a desktop and isn't aware of if a setting exists or not is going to use.
        I don't disagree at all on that. I'm simply saying Plasma can be made to look better than any other DE. The default look could be better, but I find a certain disingenuous mentality when the same people saying XFCE is leaner, looks don't matter performance does, and all that then turn around and nitpick a default font.

Comment

Yes! This will pair very nicely with my Librem5 🤗♥️!

I still hate default theme though. That gray+blue look it's a retina killer 🤢
          Breeze need to be killed
          ​​​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

wouldn't be too surprised if that's also a setting Gnome has (or available via plugin).
            I wouldn't be surprised at all if Gnome didn't have settings available.

Comment

To those complainimg about the KDE UI, it can be changed to look the way you want. KDE 4 was certainly a dog, but KDE 5 is far better than any other desktop environments.

Comment

Phoronix - a place where it's "surprising" that software begins to look good after some time of putting effort in it

Originally posted by Cape View Post
                Yes! This will pair very nicely with my Librem5 🤗♥️!

I still hate default theme though. That gray+blue look it's a retina killer 🤢
                Breeze need to be killed
                ​​​​​​
                Use Breeze Dark. It looks awesome.

Comment

Originally posted by sarmad View Post

The word "hire" was metaphiric. I meant to find volunteers. Or maybe just re purpose existing volunteers. Basically, give these UI touches higher priority.
                  Well, we can't force anyone to join us or work on a specific thing, the people just work on what they think is important or want to change. Of course, we welcome every contribution or volunteer and if somebody wants to work only on UI consistency, then sure. With that said, we work on making the UI consistent and look good all the time and consistency is even a KDE goal now :-)

Comment

I love KDE but they really have mixed tastes. I like a lot breeze dark and most of the desktop apps, but the whole of kirigami looks like a badly dated implementation of material design concepts (without the style) with unnecessary changes (like their hamburger menu being on the bottom left instead of top, just because). and I really dislike the way Discover shows installation progress when you click on it from the drawer. totally inconsistent. also looking at that weekly update I don't understand how they don't see that it is ugly mixing action icons and navigation (tab) icons in the same header, and to top it off have a header right below the header (as in, with those seams - not just a taller header), irrelevant of the graphic style.
                    I really wish they'd just follow google's guidelines but with breeze styling

Comment

Originally posted by sarmad View Post

The word "hire" was metaphiric. I meant to find volunteers. Or maybe just re purpose existing volunteers. Basically, give these UI touches higher priority.
                      It is a high priority. Have you been following the plasma usability iniative? Plasma 5.17 has almost fully been redesigned. And even though the productivity and usability iniative has ended people are still submitting mainly UI improvements. Plasma mobile isn't as popular as the desktop, and it's not as widely used, so it's kind of a lower priority. But with a few months time I think it's development will have gone places.

Comment

Working...
                      X