No announcement yet.

KDE Plasma Mobile Is Beginning To Look Surprisingly Good

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So hows wayland support compared to gnome?
    I haven't used kde for over 3 or 4 years now.. but gnome-shell/mutter have got very complete and good performing wayland now.

Comment

> as K-something

It followed the older tradition of X programs having an x in front of their name, like xterm, xcalc, xbiff, xedit, xlogo, etc.

Besides, it's not like this sort of things didn't happen with other DEs.

GNOME: Gnote, gThumb, GDM, gedit, etc.
      Enlightenment: Elive, Entrance, ePhoto, etc.
      LXDE: LXAppearance, LXDM, etc.

Just to name a few examples.

Apple started doing the same with the prefix ā€œiā€.

Comment

Originally posted by GB_2 View Post

KDE directly doesn't really hire anyone, it's a community, but you can feel free to join the KDE Visual Design Group at any time, every help is appreciated and we already work as much as we can: https://community.kde.org/Get_Involved/design
        The word "hire" was metaphiric. I meant to find volunteers. Or maybe just re purpose existing volunteers. Basically, give these UI touches higher priority.

Comment

Originally posted by sverris View Post
          Looks is extremely overrated. How does it work?, performance?, devices?, easy to maintain?
          I'm sorry but looks / feel are important. This is the primary issue with a lot of Linux veterans, we're so used to the command line and code side that we forget the importance of the UI/UX side. It IS important.

Comment

Originally posted by sarmad View Post

The word "hire" was metaphiric. I meant to find volunteers. Or maybe just re purpose existing volunteers. Basically, give these UI touches higher priority.
            I think the message was "stop complaining and start contributing".

Comment

That said, am I the only one that finds the Breeze icons (the black and white flat icons in KDE and Libreoffice, and now in the Plasma Mobile) both ugly and unusable? Fortunately, they are easily changed to Oxygen.

Comment

Originally posted by Jimbrashear View Post
                Plasma has literally the best most modern UI of any Linux desktop. Y'all act like just because the default theme sucks everything does.

As for the last post, blur on the background was modern circa 2014. It's not modern now.
                Defaults do matter. They're what someone who's new to a desktop and isn't aware of if a setting exists or not is going to use.

Comment

Originally posted by Nth_man View Post
                  > as K-something

It followed the older tradition of X programs having an x in front of their name, like xterm, xcalc, xbiff, xedit, xlogo, etc.

Besides, it's not like this sort of things didn't happen with other DEs.

GNOME: Gnote, gThumb, GDM, gedit, etc.
                  Enlightenment: Elive, Entrance, ePhoto, etc.
                  LXDE: LXAppearance, LXDM, etc.

Just to name a few examples.

Apple started doing the same with the prefix ā€œiā€.
                  GNOME renamed their app names but just kept those as their project names. Gedit shows up as Text Editor.

Comment

Originally posted by Britoid View Post

GNOME renamed their app names but just kept those as their project names. Gedit shows up as Text Editor.
                    Oh yes, I remember trying to find the solution to a problem with a gnome application by searching online.
                    It's very user friendly to call your mail application mail but good luck finding a tutorial about advanced features online - oh now I understand why they remove those

Comment

Originally posted by milkylainen View Post

Second that. But mainly for their asinine behavior of naming more or less every application as K-something or some other useless name.
                      Branding that sticks really isn't their forte. They should hire somebody to spruce up the fascia.
                      They don't actually encourage that anymore. I don't know if you've noticed but alot of KDE applications are not named after KDE... Elsa, Clazy, Heaptrack, Cervisa, Umbrello, Blinken, GCompris, Marble, Rocs, Falkon, Minuet, Dolphin, Step, etc.

Comment

Working...
                      X