Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lenovo To Address Linux Laptop Thermal Throttling, Lower Performance Against Windows

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by intelfx View Post

Well, come back when they do something to non-functional (under Linux) LTE modems that cannot be ever replaced due to firmware-level whitelisting.

Also do you remember how much time did it take them to fix S3 (suspend to RAM) support on Skylake+ models? I'm not sure if Lenovo fixed S3 earlier than Linux learned S0i3.

Linux support in ThinkPads is a strictly second-class citizen. Selling stuff with preinstalled Ubuntu is nothing but a cheap PR move, prove me wrong.
    Nah, I have better things to do.

Comment

Originally posted by azdaha View Post

I wonder how much of it is truly due to Lenovo's support for Linux, rather than community projects (thinkwiki.org for some refs) or even hardware vendor support. Given that, as an example, the thinkpad workstations are intended for business users, the focus toward Linux should definitely have been greater than it has been.

I guess you're not taking into account the addition of nvidia optimus to thinkpads, or the laptop battery drain, or the thermal throttling (I'm guessing this is what they're finally trying to somehow resolve). A lot of issues have since been resolved. I'm just not sure that Lenovo deserves any more or less credit than most other PC makers.
      I believe is the community, but their acknowledge of the problem and a commitment to fix it is a far cry from other vendors (like Asus) that simply say: we don't support Linux.

Also, people tend to forget that Linux is not alone on the problems. Windows users simply flood support forums with all kind of weird shit. Heck, these days Dell was selling high end models with big problems (like input lag) with no fix in sight. Their wifi card is notorious (or at last was) on Windows, for dropping connections because a driver configuration. Lenovo is another vendor without a single model with absence of problems on the Notebookcheck website, always with trivial problems on high end models.

Even Apple with their all around control cannot keep their shit together, with overheat to faulty keyboards to other kind of weird problems, that are filtered on the media to keep the sheep thinking they are paying premium for a better product.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
        Apple user detected
        Apple laptop user here too

I have to use /sys/module/applesmc to set the fan speed myself because it hits 100+ °C otherwise (dangerous).

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post
          Is someone seeing this on other manufacturer's laptops with a year old Intel CPU? Since this is happening by the lack of a Intel software for Windows, maybe is affecting other machines too.
          its all to with Intel ultrabook marketing program and the fact the OEMs margins are so thin they are desperate for those, the weight and thinness restrictions mean you have no space for a proper engineered cooling heatsink.

Comment

Originally posted by dekkzz78 View Post
            the weight and thinness restrictions mean you have no space for a proper engineered cooling heatsink.
            And most users don't want their laptops sounding like hairdryers.

I know a guy who made a point of buying a laptop/convertible with no fan.

Comment

Originally posted by coder View Post
              And most users don't want their laptops sounding like hairdryers.
              For vanity purchases like macbook airs and X1 Carbons that sit on managers desks and look pretty that's fine but from a model sold as a workstation like the P series that throttles as soon as you push it?

Comment

Originally posted by dekkzz78 View Post
                For vanity purchases like macbook airs and X1 Carbons that sit on managers desks and look pretty that's fine but from a model sold as a workstation like the P series that throttles as soon as you push it?
                I take your point, but it's also true that people are noise-sensitive to varying degrees. The guy I referenced did not expect his Y-series i7 CPU to perform like a mobile workstation, but even if he needed a beefier machine, he wouldn't have wanted it to be terribly noisy.

Qualcomm is pitching their A76-based 8cx as offering a huge battery-life advantage over x86. But, if the A77 is near Intel, in terms of performance, then I think quiet compute could be another huge selling point for ARM-based laptops.

Comment

Working...
                X