• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tildearrow
    replied
    Originally posted by Baguy View Post

Good thing we have you and roman working on kwin :P
    I have somewhat stagnated due to being very busy with other things but I have to come back to that project now before 5.17.

Leave a comment:

• Baguy
    replied
    Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

Wow. I thought GTK+3 already brought some sort of GPU acceleration but after seeing this I pretty much can say it's similar to Qt 5 in this regard...

I would like to see a video of its performance after the patch.

You must be kidding, right? Why can't open-source get fluid video right?
    - KWin uses a freaking timer
    - RetroArch devs set the default rate to 59.95Hz, 0.01Hz higher than the NTSC standard 59.94Hz
    - Compiz also uses a timer
    - mplayer only uses a single thread for playback which pretty much means you'll have to go through constant audio desync/extreme catch-up
    - KDE still draws some of its animations in 30Hz! And I have not figured out how to change that rate.

I see.

They need to raise the priority of performance improvements as doing these may improve battery life.

I know.
    Good thing we have you and roman working on kwin :P

Leave a comment:

• tildearrow
    replied
    Originally posted by dos1 View Post

1. Indeed, GTK3 draws its widgets with CPU. GPU acceleration comes with GTK4, which isn't released yet.
    Wow. I thought GTK+3 already brought some sort of GPU acceleration but after seeing this I pretty much can say it's similar to Qt 5 in this regard...

2. Currently Pixman doesn't even have accelerated codepaths for aarch64. There's already a patch for that being incorporated to PureOS, but the videos were made before that happened.
    I would like to see a video of its performance after the patch.

3. There's some small glitch somewhere in the kernel which makes everything incorrectly vsynced to 55Hz (the display is 60Hz), leading to tearing even though otherwise it would be perfectly smooth. It will be fixed.
    You must be kidding, right? Why can't open-source get fluid video right?
    - KWin uses a freaking timer
    - RetroArch devs set the default rate to 59.95Hz, 0.01Hz higher than the NTSC standard 59.94Hz
    - Compiz also uses a timer
    - mplayer only uses a single thread for playback which pretty much means you'll have to go through constant audio desync/extreme catch-up
    - KDE still draws some of its animations in 30Hz! And I have not figured out how to change that rate.

4. WebKitGTK so far has seen only moderate amount of attention when it comes to tuning it for good performance on mobile. There's still a lot that can be done there.
    I see.

5. There's also a lot of low-hanging fruits in compositor (phoc) when it comes to rendering optimization and input latency minimization. It just hasn't been done yet due to other things being higher priority for now
    They need to raise the priority of performance improvements as doing these may improve battery life.

This phone will become faster over time.
    I know.

Leave a comment:

• dos1
    replied
    Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
    OK, so I watched the video... and I have one big complaint.

Where is my 60FPS scrolling?
    Are widgets being drawn on the CPU, or is the GPU this weak?
    It doesn't look smooth as a 2019 smartphone. It looks like an early smartphone from the 2000's.
    1. Indeed, GTK3 draws its widgets with CPU. GPU acceleration comes with GTK4, which isn't released yet.
    2. Currently Pixman doesn't even have accelerated codepaths for aarch64. There's already a patch for that being incorporated to PureOS, but the videos were made before that happened.
    3. There's some small glitch somewhere in the kernel which makes everything incorrectly vsynced to 55Hz (the display is 60Hz), leading to tearing even though otherwise it would be perfectly smooth. It will be fixed.
    4. WebKitGTK so far has seen only moderate amount of attention when it comes to tuning it for good performance on mobile. There's still a lot that can be done there.
    5. There's also a lot of low-hanging fruits in compositor (phoc) when it comes to rendering optimization and input latency minimization. It just hasn't been done yet due to other things being higher priority for now

This phone will become faster over time.
    Last edited by dos1; 29 September 2019, 02:10 PM.

Leave a comment:

• RussianNeuroMancer
    replied
    Originally posted by QwertyChouskie View Post
    Oh cool, didn't realize this was a thing! What OS runs on it?
    Just Ubuntu 19.10, no special kernels or drivers.

Leave a comment:

• QwertyChouskie
    replied
    Originally posted by RussianNeuroMancer View Post

I do this with Dell Venue 8 Pro 5855 for a couple of years.
    Oh cool, didn't realize this was a thing! What OS runs on it?

Leave a comment:

• RussianNeuroMancer
    replied
    Originally posted by QwertyChouskie View Post
    Imagine the possibilities here once the hardware gets more powerful in a few years...
    I do this with Dell Venue 8 Pro 5855 for a couple of years.

Leave a comment:

• curaga
    replied
    Well they are funding RISC-V, I think the strategy of doing a reasonable product now and improving for later ones is ok.

Leave a comment:

• blackiwid
    replied
    Originally posted by Wijis View Post
    Anyone can download and flash UBPorts, Sailfish, or Plasma Mobile and see that they are much more advanced than the rudimentary stuff you see in the Librem stack.
    Yes of course you could create a phone that is hardware vs hardware much more expensive than any android phone, and then use a proprietary OS like Sailfish, because that people would pay they pay extra to get a proprietary Phone with a "libre" name.

Also like the kernel, Gnome is a nice upstream (both have problems with SJWs but that aside), so when you get this things included and integrated in upstream gnome, then at some point they will maintain it for you. If you do your "own thing" by forking ubports or sailfish then you have to do all maintaining on it the next at least 10-20 years... it's a good EXISTING ecosystem, Ubuntu tried to create a new ecosystem. Which had some partial success but not good enough.

Gnome is more or less backed by IBM who backs UBports? Who sailfish os? A fraudulent nearly bankrupt company? Who backs Plasma Mobile? I can't even find a public source is it proprietary or something? You seem to need some sort of account to even see the source... absurd. 15 "members seem to make it" probable everybody that send a 1 line patch or a icon picture is one of this members. I can't even shit on it properly because it's so intransparent.

The first release was expected at 2011 except till this day we have no stable release, so they are 8 years late but somehow librem should do in 1 or 2 years what they fucked up for 8 years? They have not delivered on a coherent and stable release of their desktop the last 10 years so what does make you think they would do any better with mobile when it's much more difficult?

If their desktop is so great they will be releasing soon a image for the free hardware nobody hinders them to do so and it will be then magically 1000 times better and everybody will switch away from the pre-installed gnome. So if you are right and they are so much better you have nothing to worry...

Or did you expect librem to get things working for the kde team they fucked up for 10 years?

Leave a comment:

• QwertyChouskie
    replied
    I personally love the way they've implemented their stack using Libhandy, for this reason:

The same apps seamlessly changing between desktop and phone mode, no re-launching apps or separate apps between desktop mode and phone mode, finally one device to rule (and replace) them all! Imagine the possibilities here once the hardware gets more powerful in a few years...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X