Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Purism Starts Shipping The First Librem 5 Smartphones

Phoronix: Purism Starts Shipping The First Librem 5 Smartphones

In squeezing to shipping in Q3, Purism announced today their first batch of Librem 5 Linux smartphones are beginning to ship. In the process, we see the first actual photos of the Librem 5...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

You know I could be happy about this, but they should have delayed this batch a little more. We'd prefer to wait than to receive faulty products.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
      You know I could be happy about this, but they should have delayed this batch a little more. We'd prefer to wait than to receive faulty products.
      I wouldn't call their phones faulty, just incomplete and beta quality. It is the hardware equivalent of shipping open source software before it's polished and debugged. Early adopters will take the brunt of the cost finding problems, but the openness and transparency (warts and all) is intended to payback in the long run.

Wither Purism can reap the payback or someone else does if they fail remains to be seen. We all saw the data point on how Canonical's Ubuntu phone went over, live and learn.
      Last edited by tweak42; 24 September 2019, 06:06 PM.

Comment

I could have chosen to be in the first batches, but I went with the last since I paid for a finished phone. There was no mention when I backed the phone 2 years ago that they would send out an unfinished product. I assumed there would be delays due to the size of this undertaking, but they should have just delayed another six months.

Comment

Also very curious how the software stack and battery life are....
          Michael Larabel
          https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

Also typo:

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
            of components, varying aligntment, and unfinished switch caps. Or basically,

Comment

Pardon me? Why should they be faulty?
              You have a 30 day money back guarantee. And warranty of course.

Purism has long ago clarified that "lose fit" means "not 100% airtight yet", but doesn't mean shabby.
              (sources: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=So_rCYArL3s&t=515 and https://social.librem.one/@lunduke/102742368716724323)
              I assume they wanted to be on the safe side and don't want to have especially picky people in the first batch.

Originally posted by Michael View Post
              See the recent video of HackersGame: Ready for Launch?
              Let's take a look at the progress over the last few weeks. Support me on Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/hackersgame

Comment

Delayed no! Because my honest about developer quality hardware yes. I see nothing wrong with the roughness of this release as long as customers understand what they are getting. At 15 mm thick I do have to laugh a bit.

Originally posted by davykrocket View Post
                I could have chosen to be in the first batches, but I went with the last since I paid for a finished phone. There was no mention when I backed the phone 2 years ago that they would send out an unfinished product. I assumed there would be delays due to the size of this undertaking, but they should have just delayed another six months.

Comment

Who is we? Did you buy one? If so why not simply email them and ask that your order by fulfilled in a different batch, I'm sure they have plenty of other people who would like to go first. Problem solved.

Originally posted by tweak42 View Post
                  Early adopters will take the brunt of the cost finding problems, but the openness and transparency (warts and all) is intended to payback in the long run.
                  Agreed, when you buy the 1st generation of a technology, the reality is there are kinks that need time and love to work out that usually get fixed in gen 2.

Comment

YOU ARE NOT AUTHORIZED TO UPDATE THIS POST (-___-*)

(Edit: Hey Michael, editing my comment to include another reply triggered the spam filter. Can people with above X posts just be whitelisted or something be done -- I absolute abhore vBulletin but everyone has to pick their poison system wise)

Comment

Working...
                    X