ARM-Powered Lenovo Yoga C630 Laptop To See Better Support With Linux 5.4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ARM-Powered Lenovo Yoga C630 Laptop To See Better Support With Linux 5.4

Phoronix: ARM-Powered Lenovo Yoga C630 Laptop To See Better Support With Linux 5.4

For those excited by the prospects of running Linux on Arm-based laptops, with the upcoming Linux 5.4 kernel will be better mainline support for the Lenovo Yoga C630 laptop...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    lacking ... accelerated graphics
    Accelerated graphics works with experimental kernel from gpu branch.

Comment

Pretty exciting stuff. I'm still very interested in getting one of these (not specifically the C630 but any of these Snapdragon laptops), but I'm not going to bother until Wifi and audio work. I personally don't care about LTE and the freedreno drivers are making decent progress so I'm not especially concerned about the GPU functioning at this point.

Comment

Interesting market is developing in Linux. Dell has been updating their Linux product portal and these niche hardware makers are spooling up. Now Lenovo.

Comment

Does this laptop use UEFI for the boot process? Or is it some obscure bootloader?

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
            Does this laptop use UEFI for the boot process? Or is it some obscure bootloader?
            UEFI, as you can see in installation manual on GitHub.

Comment

Originally posted by RussianNeuroMancer View Post

UEFI, as you can see in installation manual on GitHub.
              Awesome! Wish more ARM devices (including phones) would adopt UEFI.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
                Wish more ARM devices (including phones) would adopt UEFI.
                All Windows Phone devices use UEFI btw. I wish someone port GNU/Linux to HP Elite x3, it's just too brilliant to be buried by Microsoft (they discontinue Windows Mobile, as you know, so HP Elite x3 won't get OS updates).

Comment

This is is a most interesting laptop and likewise I’d wait until Linux support is firmed up. Having purchased an early AMD Ryzen based laptop I can honestly say that waiting for solid performance isn’t worth it. Even now I have to wonder if the machine will work after the next applied software update.

On the otherhand if the little issues get resolved and this includes power management, a laptop that runs all day on battery would be ideal.

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                  Pretty exciting stuff. I'm still very interested in getting one of these (not specifically the C630 but any of these Snapdragon laptops), but I'm not going to bother until Wifi and audio work. I personally don't care about LTE and the freedreno drivers are making decent progress so I'm not especially concerned about the GPU functioning at this point.

Comment

The PineBookPro is much better value, and with excellent community support I think would be a much better choice of an arm-based laptop.
                    I pre-ordered one so am eagerly waiting

Comment

Working...
                    X