Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Librem 5 Will Begin Shipping In The Weeks Ahead, But Varying Quality Over Months Ahead

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• blackiwid
    replied
    Maybe I was in the wrong forums and I am sure for active backers were pretty angry about Jolla back then, but I seen not as much hate against Jolla that canceled their tablet project and gave the backers not their money back and no product. They also never delivered in opensourcing their software fully like they promised.

Yet even when they today make some offerings for sony phones people seem to be very positive, I never saw a message "this company can't be trusted" or something like that, their transparency was clearly 1mio times worse than what librem does.

So please don't pretend that this are the reasons you hate them so much, it's ideological reasons, you disagree with their believe in freedom and or hate gnome or are in some ubuntu (touch) camp one user even calls himself "xfceretard" there the name is apparently program.

Some of you are probably even jellous like how do they dare to not compromise on a unfree device that just looks a bit more like linux but is exactly as unfree as Android. If you or your companies that you like can't do it they are not supposed to be successful. And not to forget you could not afford to pay 600 dollar, so if you can't have it, nobody should have it.

Again I can't remember so much hate against Jolla, even they came close to fraud. Maybe I missed it and in the news about their sony software upgrade there were 5 sites of hate against them and that nobody should give them any money and their users are all stupid and retarded....

Leave a comment:

• hawkinsw
    replied
    I don't think that I have anything valuable to add to what others have already said. I backed this in the crowdfunding stage and have waited very patiently for the release! I am a person who chooses to pay a premium and "suffer" for privacy and security. I almost fell out of my chair when I saw the email from Purism in my inbox and its subject line. Once I read the details, I felt misled and a little disgusted.

That said, I am still really, really excited about the final product. Yes, I paid for a real product and this initial release does not come anywhere near a real product and I am pretty disappointed with their continued inability to deliver on their promises. No, I am not going to give up.

I am still really, really excited about the product and I am not 100% sure which shipping date I will choose when I am offered a choice. Freedom and privacy!

Leave a comment:

• sverris
    replied
    And still ... is it one of the most interesting projects in the field in recent years. I am so sick and tired of Google and Apple and Samsung et al. The hardest part is getting started... I can wait.

Leave a comment:

• Toggleton
    replied
    Originally posted by msotirov
    Hmm, that's interesting then. I'd be curious to see some benchmarks comparing it to Gnome. I always wondered if Gtk itself is a pile of **** or it's just Gnome's setup of Gtk.
    In SwayWm is wlroots really lightweight and fast

If you are really interested you can try the qemu image

Or look this few Days old video of software on the Dev kit

Leave a comment:

• LoveRPi
    replied
    Hardware is easy and marginal cost. Software is upfront and difficult. Upstream software is even more difficult and doesn't have a linear schedule. Ask any company or groups investing in upstream open source software.

Leave a comment:

• oiaohm
    replied
    Originally posted by theriddick View Post
    Maybe they should charge $1200USD to make sure they have enough, since it seems the people already paying 600USD don't seem to care about what they get at the end nor hardware specs and actual hardware costs.
    Really $1200 dollar target most phones there are about the same specifications as a 700 dollar phone. 1200 dollar would have given the space to hide the cost of being modular.

Some ways I agree Librem5 targeted the wrong price bracket. Instead of targeting 700 dollar price bracket targeted the 1000 dollar instead they would have had the space in budget to cover the extra costs of modular while being feature competitive with the phones in that price bracket. Target too low does mean you do have to compromise different specifications to get device out door and cover production costs.

But for their first phone not going all out still could turn out good in the end.

Like it will be possible for a librem5 to have a main-board upgradewe did see this with the Neo 1973 and the Neo Freerunner. The librem5 avoids the Neo patent wall problem to use 3g/4g with the modular design.

Leave a comment:

• theriddick
    replied
    Maybe they should charge $1200USD to make sure they have enough, since it seems the people already paying 600USD don't seem to care about what they get at the end nor hardware specs and actual hardware costs.

Leave a comment:

• oiaohm
    replied
    Originally posted by Danielsan View Post
    I heard that from an interview to one of the main developer. The question was: "what did Ubuntu Touch need in order to make it more responsive?" And the dev replied than rather to have a better CPU it needed 4GB of ram to be fully responsiveness.

Would pay to read the hardware specs of that time frame. The A53 quad core chip in the pinephone and Librem 5 is in fact a better CPU than the Ubuntu Touch phones attempted. So both of these phones in fact have better cpu than the Ubuntu touch items did.

Libhybris used back then with Ubuntu touch to allow usage of android graphics drivers turned out to have a ram and cpu time cost. Cost of libhybris could be subtract 0.5 to 1.5 G of ram to libhybris.

So 3G ram Librem5 could possible match the 4G of ram ubuntu touch all due difference of native Linux graphics drivers(librem5) vs libhyrbis(android drivers wrapped ubuntu touch) for amount of ram usable by your applications and the Librem5 having lower cpu usage over head from the graphics stack as well so helping performance even more.

There are existing devices with quad core A53 with 2GB of ram. We know that its not going to be a nice if you attempt to run something way too heavy for them but they are able to be decently responsive with the right operating system. Its in fact likely you will run out of cpu before you run out of ram. Also these existing devices are more responsive than the historic Ubuntu touch devices were.

For a general phone doing calls and some sms and light emails quad core A53 with 2-3 G of ram should be quite suitable.

Danielsan the big thing here you don't have to really guess how bad a pinephone or librem5 will be. Items like the pinebook show us how bad/good they will be at least approximately. If you are expecting either to out run a high end device you are expecting way too much. If you are expecting a usable light usage phone both will be more than suitable. Both have enough processing power and ram to do basic things without major latency issues.

Basically if you look at both as like the performance of entry level smartphone and that is what you expect you will not be disappointed as both will perform at that level or better.

Leave a comment:

• retardxfce
    replied
    Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
    brent You see dishonesty. I see transparency.

The phone or software is not even the product. They try to distribute Freedom and Privacy.
    Disclaimer: this post and user is sponsored by purism.
    i am sure you have a security audit to verify pureautisms freedom and privacy claims.

Leave a comment:

• Danielsan
    replied
    Originally posted by cynical View Post
    Nah that is nonsense. I used Ubuntu Touch back when it was available for the Nexus 4; it worked great, and that device only had 2GB of memory.
    I heard that from an interview to one of the main developer. The question was: "what did Ubuntu Touch need in order to make it more responsive?" And the dev replied than rather to have a better CPU it needed 4GB of ram to be fully responsiveness.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X