Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Librem 5 Will Begin Shipping In The Weeks Ahead, But Varying Quality Over Months Ahead

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by danmcgrew View Post

You are absolutely wrong. HE cares!

And, for your information, 'Freedom' and 'Privacy' is also paid for with a $160.00 payment to the Pine Group, for the PinePhone.
    I'm really starting to suspect that you are a PINE64's shill.
    Last edited by intelfx; 09-05-2019, 03:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by msotirov
      . Oh wait, pureOS is based on Gnome, then 3 Gigs might not be enough
      It is based on Wlroots(Phoc&Phosh) with Gnome apps
      Last edited by Toggleton; 09-05-2019, 04:11 PM.

Comment

There is a very good chance they will not recover. Frankly this sort of behavior in business turns people off. Even for individuals this is rather pathetic behavior.

As others have have pointed out, at least Pine calls their product a developers model and that is apparently farther along than Purisms. Maybe they should change their name to Osborne 2!!!

Originally posted by brent View Post

I don't hate them, but they are quite frankly doing a bad job. They've been overpromising and underdelivering from the very start of the Librem 5 project. The marketing is dishonest ("shipping adjustments", this paper launch, etc.) and they have very little else to show. Apart from a few tinkerer nerds, most people that preordered actually expect a working phone. And they won't get it, at least not any time soon. This will unfortunately all get back to Purism and it will be hard for them to recover.

Comment

Originally posted by intelfx View Post

I'm really starting to suspect that you are a PINE64's shill.
          Nope; no such luck.

Now if they'd just send money...or a free PinePhone.

Comment

It's impossible to learn anything in life without making mistakes as you go.

Underestimating the required effort to produce such a device is forgivable by me.

Software & Production setbacks are forgivable.

Lack of communication & transparency are harder to give a pass -- if you have problems -- just say what challenges and setbacks you're encountering, no problem.

I haven't purchased a device yet but have been keenly interested.

I am planning on purchasing 1 at first this next year to test drive and then up to 3 - 4 more to replace Android devices depending on if it can serve all our needs. I really would be interested in the v2 device as my first device but I suspect it will take more time than they are anticipating based on their history of estimating.

Also I have to give them props for paving the road by their work on wlroots, and creation of apps like Calls, Messages, etc... this work will benefit Linux Phone efforts no doubt and should be respected and thanked.

Edit: As others have pointed out, the device is not comparable in scope to Android's or iPhone's or even Laptops for that matter. Its purpose is to deliver privacy in hardware and software via a Linux OS. IIUC this has not been done yet in any meaningful form to date.
            Last edited by ElectricPrism; 09-05-2019, 04:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
              brent Nobody cares about your 600 USD. Freedom and Privacy is paid with effort and principles.
              And low-quality hardware?

Comment

Originally posted by DMJC View Post
                The Pine phone and the Librem5 both have the same problem: Not enough RAM. {...} Just as 2-3gb is pathetic now. These open source phones really need to lift the amount of RAM to 4-6GB.
                ...but that is going to be hard.

The point of these phones is to be friendly to Linux hacking (and in case of Librem 5: guaranteed 100% pure open-source withiut any firmware. Though, thanks to Lima RE'd driver, PinePhone is also on good tracks to achieve that too)

Which means they need to target very specific chipset, which might not even have enough address pins exposed to access larger RAM chips (see BCM's limitation to 1 GiB on RasPi older than 4).

Especially if people want to use them as a laptop replacement. The killer app for a modern Linux phone should be to plug it into a screen/keyboard/mouse and be able to use it for programming/network engineering replacing a laptop.
                im addition, to be usable as laptops (like Samsung's DEX), phones might also require more grunt (CPU and GPU) than available on linux hacking-friendly chipsets.

So in short, both the features you desire (RAM, laptop) might require a chipset (e.g latest gen Qualcomm) that is not compatible with the various goals of these phones (hacker friendly, blob-free, no untrusted code has access to your data - the later two legally requiring a discrete modem chip).

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

And low-quality hardware?
                  Depending on the exact definition of low-quality, it wouldn't necessarily be a deal breaker for me, as this device wouldn't be my daily driver, but a development and testing device.

If you mean the electronics, the specs seem plenty good enough for me.

Comment

The Pine phone and the Librem5 both have the same problem: Not enough RAM. I had a Motorola Atrix phone back in 2011/2012. 1gb of ram was pathetic on a phone back then. Just as 2-3gb is pathetic now. These open source phones really need to lift the amount of RAM to 4-6GB. Especially if people want to use them as a laptop replacement...
                    Spoller Alert!! This is NOT trolling!!

I have a real problem here, and I would like, seriously, the advice of the tremendous amount of expertise available on this forum. It has absolutely nothing to do with Pinephones, Purism phones or any 'such-like', but only phones in general.
                    It really has to do with computing machines in general, and the need--or lack thereof--of the hardware power seemingly required of phones by people who are obviously much more 'in the know' than I am.
                    I've been in this game (computing machinery, that is) a long time. I run a pretty complete cycle of machines, from the original EeePC 701- 4G and HP2133 (both are 1G/4G) up through a fairly late--and powerful-- Acer, and Lenovos--all Linux machines.
                    I have never, and I do mean never had a problem running a reasonable Linux (latest Mint, e.g.) on a machine with 2 GB of RAM and as little as 32 GB of mass storage (my Acer, with a triple-core 1.8 GHz CPU, for example; and no, I don't store 10,000 photos or 200 videos).

So why, exactly, does a phone which runs the Linux operating system need to have 4 to 6 GB of RAM and 64 GB of SSD? I really do want to know as I am afraid that I am missing something very important; and that I may be in for a massive amount of disappointment if I expect this next generation of phones to be the "computer-in-my-pocket" which I have been waiting so long for.

Thanks in advance for your advice and help.
                    Last edited by danmcgrew; 09-05-2019, 08:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by danmcgrew View Post
                      So why, exactly, does a phone which runs the Linux operating system need to have 4 to 6 GB of RAM and 64 GB of SSD? I really do want to know as I am afraid that I am missing something very important; and that I may be in for a massive amount of disappointment if I expect this next generation of phones to be the "computer-in-my-pocket" which I have been waiting so long for.
                      Since you've asked nicely I'll answer this as well as I can. The reason the phone needs more ram, at least in the case of Android (on the Atrix), when docked the phone would continue to run Android as a windowed application within a Full Linux Desktop (a hacked up Gnome 2 iirc). However with only 1gb of RAM when you opened desktop Firefox on the Atrix (which was the killer app, desktop firefox + flash so Youtube worked) after 1-2 browser tabs were opened the browser would run out of memory and crash. The Librem5 might have a way around this because it is using Gnome as the Linux Desktop and Phone desktop. But I would prefer to err on the side of caution and load the phone up with more RAM for applications. Remember, the way most phones work is a lot of apps are running in the background. More ram = more background applications and more capability for operating as a PC.

Comment

Working...
                      X