Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PinePhone Remains On Track For Shipping In The Months Ahead

Phoronix: PinePhone Remains On Track For Shipping In The Months Ahead

The open-source minded PinePhone is sitll on track for shipping in the months ahead and its software side is coming along nicely with the ability to run UBports Ubuntu Touch, Sailfish OS, postmarketOS, KDE Plasma Mobile, and other options...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

UBPorts is surprisingly good, it's my daily driver and has been for years (even back to Canonical's Ubuntu Touch). Granted I don't use a lot of social media, but it's very usable for my purposes.

Perhaps the PinePhone can finally replace my old MX4.

I hope they gain more traction in the community - it's a very clean phone OS.

Comment

Originally posted by Kamikaze View Post
      UBPorts is surprisingly good, it's my daily driver and has been for years (even back to Canonical's Ubuntu Touch). Granted I don't use a lot of social media, but it's very usable for my purposes.

Yes, especially once they finish the transition to Mir 1.2, which uses Wayland by default.

Comment

Originally posted by Kamikaze View Post

I hope they update the core so that I can start using it on my new phone (I was told it supports only supports up to Android 7.1 devices currently while my new phone will ship with 9).

Comment

Id like to know how well is anbox running on ARM devices, especially around this level of performance(average CPU, 2GB ram). has anyone here had tried it and can share his experience? I've been using anbox on my desktop machine, and it's quiet good for whatsapp for example, but obviously a 16gb RAM, 8core x86 system is not a good reference.
          If this kind of devices could run anbox with reasonable performance, it would be THE reason to move away from android finally.

Comment

Typo:

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
            The open-source minded PinePhone is sitll on track

Comment

What an amazing display of openness...

Picture of a PinePhone prototype running Plasma Mobile Let’s start with a quick recap of last month’s events: the Pinebook Pro went into production, software development on the PineTab started, we announced the SOEdge AI module and introduced our initiative for giving back to PinePhone Linux developers during the community meetup in London.

Comment

Very excited for this phone. With how cheap it is, i might just pick up a first-run as my main phone, and upgrade to a production-run version later. I'm extremely interested in plasma mobile working on using ubuntu touch apps alongside kde kirigami apps (at least that's what i heard). Ubuntu touch running on this would be very cool too, with it's work on the new mir and unity 8.

Comment

Originally posted by danmcgrew View Post
                  What an amazing display of openness...

https://www.pine64.org/2019/09/05/se...shipping-soon/
                  Yup, just from that blog post alone, the phone seems ten times more real than the Librem 5...

Comment

Originally posted by euler271 View Post
                    Id like to know how well is anbox running on ARM devices, especially around this level of performance(average CPU, 2GB ram). has anyone here had tried it and can share his experience? I've been using anbox on my desktop machine, and it's quiet good for whatsapp for example, but obviously a 16gb RAM, 8core x86 system is not a good reference.
                    If this kind of devices could run anbox with reasonable performance, it would be THE reason to move away from android finally.
                    On the fairphone 2 with Ubuntu touch anbox runs well (not many bugs) but is pretty slow.

Comment

Working...
                    X