Google Releases Android 10 With "Vulkan Everywhere", Privacy Improvements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
    Huh? Wtf does that even mean. If an app is disabled it is not started and won't be available even if called by others.

Try to run stuff that relies on Google Play services (mostly games I guess) and they will crash or throw errors, not start the disabled application.

As long as you select "show system applications" or similar you will see their contacts sync, calendar sync, location sync and package installer service, and a setup wizard (the application that runs when you first power up the phone), usually obvious enough as Google's.
    They are "system apps" as most of other Google services, but they are all just apps and can be disabled.

Their full name (the apk name) can be found in the list here, you can get the "user-friendly name" by searching the apk name on the internet.
    https://github.com/opengapps/opengap...shelper.sh#L65
    It's a script of the OpenGapps project, which is a (opensource) system that generates a installer to install Google's binary applications and services on AOSP/LineageOS/whatever.

It is technically legal but almost always used to install Google stuff on devices running firmware that is not certified by Google, which is a breach of the Google services license.
    It's a long while that this exists, and Google is mysteriously 100% ignoring it. How could it be I wonder.

You really need to understand that Google is not Microsoft (which is not changed significantly, regardless of all the PR it's throwing around), Google has a completely reversed approach. They want to lure you in, not lock you down.

The whole point of Android is to create a big fat bait for people to *WANT* to install Google services (as that's where most of the apps and Android ecosystem is, and 100% of Google's ) even on firmware that isn't certified. More on this below.

They fully know power users can just reflash the whole goddamn firmware with AOSP (that is provided by themselves), why would they even feel the need to be stealthy.
    They are applying the same concept that makes software piracy more beneficial than harmful for a lot of common software (say Adobe stuff).
    Keeping people on Android is still a good thing even if they don't use Google services, because this defuses a lot of the need for another "more free" platform.
    Android is free enough for most power users to not need to find an alternative. Boom, job done. Google has killed most of the competition, at a very affordable price (the amount of $$ they make for each individual user is not terribly large).

That's one of the reasons I prefer Google as a benevolent overlord over Apple or Microsoft. They don't go power-tripping and leave power users remarkably free.
    Wow, so you just wrote a wall of text and finished it with Google is your "benevolent overlord"!!! Damn, what a shame....

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
      starshipeleven Good luck arguing imaginary scenarios (e.g. "I am pretty sure" or "possible hidden services")
      I'm not arguing, I'm just telling the truth and trolling duby to assert dominance.
      Last edited by starshipeleven; 05 September 2019, 11:40 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
        Wow, so you just wrote a wall of text and finished it with Google is your "benevolent overlord"!!! Damn, what a shame....
        My benevolent overlord is better than yours, just admit it

Comment

starshipeleven, I suppose if I had a "benevolent overlord" it would be Gentoo, in which case, hellz to tha naw bruh... Nope....

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
            starshipeleven, I suppose if I had a "benevolent overlord" it would be Gentoo, in which case, hellz to tha naw bruh... Nope....
            still not admitting it. Man, you're so envious.. I can feel it.

Comment

Oi the amount of people drinking the Google Kool-Aid here is staggering. If you don't believe Android can be used without GAPPS I suggest you look at every Android user in China because there GAPPS is BANNED and the cell phone makers are forced to provide alternative apps. Obvious China Gov abuse aside that people will retort with the fact remains they don't have GAPPS. Now AOSP offers alternatives out of the box for a lot of apps that GAPPS normally replaces (comes with apps for Dialer, Contacts, SMS/MMS, Email, Camera, Web Browser, Gallery, and Music Player) and there's obviously some alternatives out there both FOSS and FAB for the stuff both supplied and not. What are you really losing by not installing GAPPS? Some premium and freemium apps for sure, but mostly "games" that exploit "gamers" with highly predatory in-app transactions (nothing of value lost there imo). What do you gain? Aside from a little more privacy for those that are concerned for it you'll see a performance boost and better battery life. Like seriously I dropped GAPPS on my old Nexus 6P now it no longer lags and my battery life tripled.

Comment

Originally posted by ronoverdrive View Post
                What are you really losing by not installing GAPPS? ... What do you gain? Aside from a little more privacy for those that are concerned for it you'll see a performance boost and better battery life. Like seriously I dropped GAPPS on my old Nexus 6P now it no longer lags and my battery life tripled.
                Can also confirm this. Google Play Services is a pig on resources and battery causing A LOT of pointless wakeups of the main CPU from deep sleep states, and there isn't a lot you can do about that even with applications like Greenify with root access.

Disabling or not installing it (if you can install LineageOS or other third party firmware) is the best action.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                  Can also confirm this. Google Play Services is a pig on resources and battery causing A LOT of pointless wakeups of the main CPU from deep sleep states, and there isn't a lot you can do about that even with applications like Greenify with root access.

Disabling or not installing it (if you can install LineageOS or other third party firmware) is the best action.
                  You made me look. Phone charged 12h ago, GPS used for 22min, drained 2% battery life. Quite high considering I don't play games on my phone, but nothing to make it stand out from other apps otherwise.

Comment

Quizical Quiche Quidditch

Comment

When I read "Google" and "privacy" in same paragraph I can't resist laughing on that.

As for AV1... hmm, look, things like youtube don't use huge bit rates - so it doesn't needs super-powerful CPU to decode. As simple as that.

Comment

Working...
                      X