No announcement yet.

Google Releases Android 10 With "Vulkan Everywhere", Privacy Improvements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Now if only Trump would cease so everyone could have this.

Comment

Originally posted by Templar82 View Post
      The new privacy controls will still be great for things like LineageOS that can be ran without google apps.
      I hate how I had to compile the whole Android OS just to remove the pre-installed Google apps from Android-x86.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
        (also you should remove "Privacy" from the title because Google is anything but privacy. True privacy means only you, and nobody else. But to Google it means "you, and Google (technically everyone)".)
        This is an OS, and the OS has updated privacy features.

Google apps run on top of that, and you can disable their access to your data if you want, using the OS features.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
          The way I understand it, not even AOSP is private, which I think is just terrible.
          You don't understand it.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
            I hate how I had to compile the whole Android OS just to remove the pre-installed Google apps from Android-x86.
            Couldn't you just go and disable the applications and services from the app settings menu?

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post

I could be wrong, but Android supporting AV1 likely doesn't mean it will actually always provide a way to decode AV1, just that it provides the ability for future hardware to potentially expose AV1 decode abilities.

In practice, even if phones could software decode AV1 now it would be a horrible user experience because it would burn through your battery too fast.
              Looks to me like they did ad libaom to Androidhttps://android.googlesource.com/pla...roid10-release
              not sure why they did not use dav1d, maybe they do but i did not find it... Maybe vlc on android will give better performance if dav1d is enabled

https://medium.com/@ewoutterhoeven/h...e-5fcb3a4f6e7f It should be possible to watch 1080p <=30fps videos on Flagship smartphones(since 0.3.1 there was a ~20-25% Speedup)

i would say it is that you can open AV1 encoded files.
              For Hardware decoders to come to market the plan is 2020https://youtu.be/K1Fzm7nINjM?t=1069 @17.37 , but not every one does buy a new smartphone every year so we will have a lot of devices that will need software decoding of AV1 for a while.

I think AV1 decoding should be fine on most of the Smartphones in <= 480p without sucking the Battery empty
              Last edited by Toggleton; 04 September 2019, 09:15 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                You don't understand it.
                Better than you apparently...

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                  Couldn't you just go and disable the applications and services from the app settings menu?
                  No you can't. They can be made so that won't be resident in memory and that's the best you can hope for. That's what the "disable" button in android means and not more than that.

Unless, of course, if you root your phone, but then deleting many android apps breaks the OS. And that's why it needs rebuilt.
                  Last edited by duby229; 04 September 2019, 11:59 AM.

Comment

Better than you apparently...
                    Another one that doesn't

Comment

No you can't. They can be made so that won't be resident in memory and that's the best you can hope for. That's what the "disable" button in android means and not more than that.
                      The disable in the app setting menu will disable the application and delete any update to it (freeing up space in the user partition).

It can't delete the app from the (read-only) system partition, of course, but you don't need that.

Comment

Working...
                      X