Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fairphone 3 Pre-Orders Begin For Ethical Smartphone With Better Specs Than The Librem 5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Librem 5 have DP AltMode, so it can be used as desktop replacement with USB 3.1 hub with HDMI/DisplayPort output, like for example Dell Venue 8 Pro 5855 and HP Pro Tablet 608 G1.

What about Fairphone 3?

Comment

Originally posted by theriddick View Post
      Librem should have just offered mobile software rather then ripping people off with crap hardware at inflated costs.
      I would be totally fine paying them $50 for the mobile software that works on any phone.
      This whole concept that Librem is magic hardware that protects users.. lol
      Wow, you'd be totally fine with paying as much as $50? That's great man!

But.. uhm... you seem to be completely oblivious to the world you live in, not to mention also quite delusional at the same time.

Just because we'd like to have free software that can be installed on any phone (and indeed we do have!), does not mean that the phone manufacturers and service providers will let us install it.

If you can get over this minor obstacle, go right ahead, take the software that will run on Librem and install it on any phone you'd like. It's free, you don't even have to shell out your precious, an completely delusional, $50.

Why delusional? Because you seem to think that shelling out $50 will get Google, Amazon, Facebook, etc. to let you go. Well, news flash for you, they won't let you go and Librem doesn't have a magic wand to make them.

We live in a world of walled gardens, where phone manufacturers and service providers such as Google or Amazon control your data and can prevent you from installing software on the hardware you think you own (you certainly paid for it with cash and personal information...). And not only that, such manufacturers and providers can install or uninstall any software they choose to from your devices, without your... well... interference.

"No user meddling needed or required on your phone, no sir! Just go ahead and YouTube/Instagram/Facebook/purchase crap/waste time/pollute or whatever you do daily, dear user, leave all the rest to us! No, we won't be taking your $50, thank you! We already took your life and take most of the money we let you have, keep the 50. Yes, really, keep it! You know what, come to think of it, we'll double your 50! Yes, we'll double it! just visit Amazon and treat yourself with our select line of products! Aren't we amazing!"

So no, they won't let you go and if you think that simply shelling out $50 will change that, than you are indeed completely and utterly delusional.

The sad thing is, we let them put us in such a situation, by being passive, giving in to capitalist consumer society and letting our governments be run by corporate lobbies that enable monopolies.

RMS was and is completely right and we are, indeed, sheep / idiots / morons / cretins whatever anyone would like to call us.

Now, when someone stands up and fights against this in practically the only way they can, by issuing their own hardware and putting the plans, the software and the communication infrastructure into public reach, they get... laughed at?

O my, what an id...... err... sorry.

Anyway...

...people...

WAKE UP

Comment

Spot the chills.....

Comment

Originally posted by Serafean View Post
          These are all different beasts:
          I'd say the purism guys had it tougher to cobble it together. Both projects are pretty awesome though.
          That's mostly because this is Fairphone's third phone, so they have more experience than Purism.

Comment

Originally posted by tuxd3v View Post
            Seems a nice option,
            But it also seems to doesn't support FM Radio??

Another problem..android...
            The world is full of android devices...

I was expecting also a alternative OS 100% fully-supported..
            The Ideal, for me, would be a 100% SailfishOS, second option..
            Let's hope it can run some other Linux distro...
            ...otherwise I'm not sure whether it is that "ethical".

Comment

Originally posted by ZeroPointEnergy View Post
              Maybe I did not articulate myself clearly. My complain was exactly that Michael compares those phones only by performance, which isn't the point of any of those phones. They all have completely different goals.
              This is the same for benchmarks. He never compares latency, or some other factor that isn't speed/speed-related.

Comment

Originally posted by Serafean View Post
                These are all different beasts:
                - Random android handset: gimme your $$, at least once every 2 years. Device controlled by manufacturer + google. Privacy and repairability nowhere to be seen.
                - Librem 5: your device, your rules. Privacy 1st class citizen. Repairablility 2nd class citizen. Hardware limited by availability of GPL drivers.

- Fairphone: Device controlled by google, but materials are sourced ethically. Repairability 1st class citizen. Privacy not looked at. Hardware limited by manufacturing.

I'd say the purism guys had it tougher to cobble it together. Both projects are pretty awesome though.

What is unfortunate with both these projects it that AV1 will (hopefuly) become relevant in about a year's time, and they don't have hw acceleration... So a hw refresh will definitely be in order.
                - Apple: Device controlled entirely by Apple. User-friendliness 1st class citizen. Hacker-friendliness Nth class citizen. Privacy to a limited extent. No repairability at all.

Comment

Originally posted by theriddick View Post
                  Librem should have just offered mobile software rather then ripping people off with crap hardware at inflated costs.
                  They have not ripped us off. The extra cost isn't "inflated". It's the privacy bits which aren't present in other phones, plus the reduced size of the batch.

Comment

Originally posted by caligula View Post
                    Are you kidding me?

I don't want more pixels. That reduces the sensor cell size, which means they are more prone to noise.

What I want is a high-aperture large sensor, as these deliver the highest sensitivity to light and hence much less noise.

Yeah, I hate camera noise that much. My phone has the crappiest camera in the world. Not only ringing artifacts, but also lots of noise.

Comment

Originally posted by tuxd3v View Post
                      I was expecting also a alternative OS 100% fully-supported..
                      someone has to develop alternative os, port it to hardware of your phone and develop apps for it. i don't think they developed android, so they can't develop alternative os. but you can ask alternative os vendor to provide build for fairphone

Comment

Working...
                      X