Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Purism Shows Off First Shots Of The Librem 5 Smartphone's PCB

Phoronix: Purism Shows Off First Shots Of The Librem 5 Smartphone's PCB

The Librem 5 smartphone is still advertised as shipping in Q3'2019 though it looks next to impossible with just one month left in the quarter. Purism CTO Nicole Faerber presented at CCC's Camp 2019 and the phone wasn't demoed but pictures of the Librem 5 PCB were on display...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Of course, they used DejaVu Sans for the slides.
    Guys, please DejaVu Sans isn't the only font!

Comment

By the way, that PCB is unusually big for a phone in my opinion (yeah, I know it's because it's an early version but still wanted to point out).

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
        Oh cool! Thanks for the tip! I just discovered this fun font to help me stand out and I'm going to use it everywhere! It's called
        COMIC SANS

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
          Oh cool! Thanks for the tip! I just discovered this fun font to help me stand out and I'm going to use it everywhere! It's called
          COMIC SANS
          I know you're being sarcastic, but the truth is, in my opinion DejaVu Sans looks bad. It represents the pinnacle of carelessness and poor quality.

Furthermore, it's so wide (and hence a slight waste of space, but is an issue for devices like the Librem 5):

Somebody claimed DejaVu Sans has slightly bigger characters (this fact also adds to the previous statement, which is carelessness), but even after compensating for the size, it doesn't help much.

Comment

Also, I forgot to mention, Michael phoronix Congratulations on the 50000th article! (or is it?)
            It is very impressive how one man can manage a whole news website by himself for over 15 years, and I appreciate it.
            Many other efforts existed, but they were not brave enough and could not endure. You, Phoronix, are one of those few survivors.

Comment

I know you're being sarcastic, but the truth is, in my opinion DejaVu Sans looks bad. It represents the pinnacle of carelessness and poor quality.
              Haha I know, I'm just giving you a hard time, and reminding you of how it could actually be worse.

Also, I forgot to mention, Michael phoronix Congratulations on the 50000th article! (or is it?)
              It is very impressive how one man can manage a whole news website by himself for over 15 years, and I appreciate it.
              Many other efforts existed, but they were not brave enough and could not endure. You, Phoronix, are one of those few survivors.
              Good point, observation, and sentiment.

Comment

DeJaWhat? I use Protomolecule ;-) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMswfcT0hRA (for the titles ;-)

Comment

Very interesting. The idea of a plug in modem board means (hopefully) that the Board could be made available for other uses where cellular connectivity isn’t needed. Makes me wonder how flexible the display circuitry is.

the thought here is ways to drive sales. As much as I’d like to be wrong, I don’t see success on cell phone sales alone.

Comment

If the phone is going to be that thick (15 mm) with the specs offered, then it is destined to fail as a cell phone. The amount of delays and teasing reminds me of Star Citizen, though it is of course not nearly as bad as that obvious cash grab. Fairphone 3 stands a much better chance.

Comment

Working...
                    X