Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dell XPS 7390 Developer Edition Announced - Intel Comet Lake With Ubuntu 18.04 LTS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lkraav
    replied
    Ice Lake XPS is now available, has a 32GB DDR4 soldered option https://www.anandtech.com/show/14727...re-cpus-inside

Leave a comment:

• stingray454
    replied
    I quite like the XPS line - they have everything I want in a linux laptop, so I wouldn't mind one at all. My main gripe is that you are locked in to specific configurations and can't pick and choose yourself. For example, I'd like to have one with either Rose gold or Alpine White shell (I think that's the name), 16GB, 1-2 TB SSD, FHD touchscreen and Ubuntu. They offer all these options in different configurations, but.. For now you can only get 4K screen with the new (good looking) colors. You can not even select touchscreen for FHD options even though Dell has explicitly said it's a $100 addon option. Ubuntu computers come with max 512 GB drive, if you want larger you have to order it with Windows, and so on. It's really annoying to not be able to order the computer you want.

Leave a comment:

• johanb
    replied
    Originally posted by nils_ View Post

I think the Wifi 6 ones are just rebranded Intel AX 200/201?
    Huh, didn't know. Seems like you are correct

https://www.anandtech.com/show/14194...built-on-intel

One of the core criticisms of the Killer networking hardware has been hardware reliability and drivers. On the last generation product, the company did away with those by working with Intel, using Intel hardware, and Intel’s driver stack. Intel’s part of the deal was to include the hardware and IP from the Killer team in order to enable Killer’s features: Advanced Stream Detection, the Killer Intelligence Engine, and prioritization. This launch is in collaboration with Intel again, for the Wi-Fi 6 enabled AX1650 chip, available for integration in devices or as an M.2 module.

Leave a comment:

• nils_
    replied
    Originally posted by johanb View Post
    "Killer AX1650" and "Developer focused"

Killers linux drivers are complete garbage, what are their reason for using that with their Linux laptops? Because they want it to have the same components as the windows laptop?
    I think the Wifi 6 ones are just rebranded Intel AX 200/201?

Leave a comment:

• johanb
    replied
    "Killer AX1650" and "Developer focused"

Killers linux drivers are complete garbage, what are their reason for using that with their Linux laptops? Because they want it to have the same components as the windows laptop?

Leave a comment:

• LxFx
    replied
    Originally posted by Saverios View Post
    What's the difference between a "developer-focused" laptop and a normal laptop with the same specs?
    The developer version is the one with Ubuntu instead of Windows, hardware is not different AFAIK.

Leave a comment:

• Saverios
    replied
    What's the difference between a "developer-focused" laptop and a normal laptop with the same specs?

Leave a comment:

• nh2_
    replied
    16 GB max RAM is limiting; as a programmer, I would like more.

My Thinkpad X220 from 2011 also has 16 GB RAM.

Leave a comment:

• vitalif
    replied
    ...and still with a shitty keyboard without adequately placed pgup/pgdown/home/end

Leave a comment:

• spykes
    replied
    I'll pass until Ice Lake models are ready.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X