No announcement yet.

System76 To Introduce New "Adder WS" Laptop With 4K OLED Display

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The NVIDIA GPU is simply unacceptable in such a laptop. People should not buy these laptops, as their configuration simply makes no sense for a computer that isn't intended to run Windows.

At the very least make sure you remove NVIDIA drivers and switch over to Intel graphics exclusively, as they seem to be the best GPU vendor for GNU/Linux.

Comment

I truly do not understand why they go through this enormous amount of effort to make a Linux laptop, and then choose the GPU vendor with very poor driver support. It's like covering a fancy pasta in ketchup.

Comment

Originally posted by Blahblah View Post
        I truly do not understand why they go through this enormous amount of effort to make a Linux laptop, and then choose the GPU vendor with very poor driver support. It's like covering a fancy pasta in ketchup.
        Easy, they don't go through a lot of effort.
        The hardware they offer is designed and manufactured by Clevo, not by them.

Comment

Originally posted by lowlands View Post

Have a look at the Lenovo X1 and X1 Yoga. I've had various X1 generations and really like their runs-with-latest-Fedora-out-of-the-box. They also have AMD Ryzen models with Vega GPU: T495 & T495S. Don't know if they have a water spill-resistant keyboard but the Dell XPS13 and XPS15 are also worth a look.
          Ultrabooks are great laptops. However, they come at very increased price, compared to regular business laptops, which are very durable and have good performance. And, I don't need such portability, therefore it's for me only waste of money to go for ultrabook class.

Laptop class like ProBook 6xx or EliteBook 7xx/8xx, is enough for me.

Comment

I've run various laptops with both intel and nvidia gpu's, currently an xps15, and never found one that would actually work properly between any sort of alternative distribution, kernel upgrade, or standard system security upgrade in general. Having two gpu's seems never a good solution under linux still in 2019.

Comment

Originally posted by DoMiNeLa10 View Post
              At the very least make sure you remove NVIDIA drivers and switch over to Intel graphics exclusively, as they seem to be the best GPU vendor for GNU/Linux.
              Yes, I'm going to spend good money to buy a laptop with a 2070 and then use Intel integrated graphics. All because nvidia is a meaniehead about open source but Intel is an honest, praiseworthy and completely trustworthy corporation. If there's one company that comes to mind when I think of openness, integrity, security, concern for the consumer and an all-around industry "nice guy", it's Intel.

What is it about GNU/Linux that causes people to completely lose their minds?

Otherwise, I agree that this looks like a good laptop to buy and then immediately reformat and install Windows.

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post

Yes, I'm going to spend good money to buy a laptop with a 2070 and then use Intel integrated graphics. All because nvidia is a meaniehead about open source but Intel is an honest, praiseworthy and completely trustworthy corporation. If there's one company that comes to mind when I think of openness, integrity, security, concern for the consumer and an all-around industry "nice guy", it's Intel.

What is it about GNU/Linux that causes people to completely lose their minds?

Otherwise, I agree that this looks like a good laptop to buy and then immediately reformat and install Windows.
                Have you ever used Nvidia on GNU/Linux? These shitheads have no regard for standards and conventions when it comes to drivers. They can't be even bothered to maintain their own proprietary drivers until they hit EoL.

System 76 should release versions of their laptops that lack the dedicated GPU, because the ones they put in are simply worthless.

The thing with Intel graphics is, that their drivers can be pretty much considered as the reference for others, and they're about to release dedicated GPUs. I'm holding back with building a desktop to get their GPU, as I don't want to drop $700 on the only decent GPU on the market that unfortunately lacks path tracing, and I don't even like the Radeon brand.

As much as I might consider Intel in general to be incompetent, they contribute to free software, and some of their hardware is decent, especially when it comes to graphics.

Comment

It will be interesting to see how bad the burn in is on that OLED with some time or if the screen is continuously blanked to to protect it.

Comment

Originally posted by DoMiNeLa10 View Post
                    Have you ever used Nvidia on GNU/Linux? These shitheads have no regard for standards and conventions when it comes to drivers. They can't be even bothered to maintain their own proprietary drivers until they hit EoL.
                    I use NVIDIA on Linux every day. Gaming performance is excellent, even on a laptop, and with the vast majority of games running through Proton. Up until recently, there were issues with GNOME's Mutter doing things which were suboptimal with the NVIDIA driver, but Canonical has been fixing these issues.

System 76 should release versions of their laptops that lack the dedicated GPU, because the ones they put in are simply worthless.
                    You mean like the Darter and Galago Pro? Both of which provide Intel integrated graphics, without a dedicated GPU.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                      Easy, they don't go through a lot of effort.
                      The hardware they offer is designed and manufactured by Clevo, not by them.
                      This, at least the laptops, and at least at the moment. Clevo does not provide AMD as a chassis option. The choices given are Intel and Intel + NVIDIA.

Taking a look at the Thelio options, you will find that AMD, Intel, and NVIDIA are equally supported.

Comment

Working...
                      X