Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Purism Finally Announces The Firmed Up Specifications For The Librem 5 Smartphone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by xfcemint View Post
    There is almost no difference, unless you try to display a full A4 page on a single screen, which is incorrect usage. At such a zoom level, it won't display properly because the scaling algorithm was not intended for being misused. But it is essentially a software problem, not a resolution problem.
    lol, there is almost no sense in your words. i don't display full page on screen, but i do display full width

Comment

• Originally posted by NatTuck View Post
      [*]The ability to run a full Linux distro as your phone OS, with all the software flexibility that implies.[*]This is effectively unique at the moment.
      you are too new on phoronix
      https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...tem&px=MTM4NDY
      screen is the most used part of smartphone. studies repeatedly show that customers value bigger screen over anything else. such screen would be good for sub $100 device, for sub $1000 it's ridiculous

Comment

• Originally posted by pal666 View Post
        you are too new on phoronix
        https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...tem&px=MTM4NDY
        screen is the most used part of smartphone. studies repeatedly show that customers value bigger screen over anything else. such screen would be good for sub $100 device, for sub $1000 it's ridiculous
        Yes, there are a couple of old but still workable phones you can install a native Linux distro on. Your Fedora link is neat, but that won't get you a working phone. As far as I can tell, there's exactly one option for a functional phone with a full Linux distro on it: Plasma Mobile on the Nexus 5X. That uses Halium, which means you get the old Cyanogen kernel and services with your distro on top - so it mostly works, but you're not on the mainstream update train. The Plasma Mobile site doesn't even list what actually works - other projects like Postmarket OS are stuck with issues like no WiFi on any device.

That's all really cool - and getting a Nexus 5X to test out Plasma Mobile is on my list of things to do - but it's not a new phone with full support.

As for screen complaints, the screen is plenty big - just not crazy high resolution. As a couple people elsewhere have pointed out, the Nintendo Switch has a 720p resolution on a slightly larger screen, and nobody's complaining about that.

Comment

• Originally posted by NatTuck View Post
          the Nintendo Switch has a 720p resolution on a slightly larger screen, and nobody's complaining about that.
          it's a gaming device, larger resolution requires either larger gpu or smaller frame rate. and you can buy several nintendo switches for price of subj, for $200 phone such screen is much more palatable

Comment

Working...
          X