Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Purism Finally Announces The Firmed Up Specifications For The Librem 5 Smartphone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by cynical View Post
    Did you even read it? He said it had a good UI design lol. And we know that's a fact now because Android/Apple both copied the gestures idea for their interfaces.
    This article just confirms what I said about the slowness of UI and apps.
    The fact that the interface was designed rather for tablets than for smartphones is my friend's opinion, confirmed by some reviews.

Comment

• Originally posted by the_scx View Post
      This article just confirms what I said about the slowness of UI and apps.
      The fact that the interface was designed rather for tablets than for smartphones is my friend's opinion, confirmed by some reviews.
      It's true that the loading of apps was slow at the time, but that was at the very beginning. It's nothing that wouldn't have been fixed by now had they continued to improve it.

Comment

• Originally posted by cynical View Post
        It's true that the loading of apps was slow at the time, but that was at the very beginning. It's nothing that wouldn't have been fixed by now had they continued to improve it.
        The point is that Canonical is a huge company, and yet they have not been able to refine the product for a planned release. I am not gonna say that Purism is just a random group of hobbyists, but Librem 5 with PureOS is basically a crowdfunding start-up, largely relying on the community. It is very likely that their platform will be in a barely usable condition for a long time after the release. Damn, they are going to use GNOME 3 UI (I know, without GNOME Shell, but still based on GNOME Libs, while Ubuntu Touch used a Qt-based interface) on a low-performance device, with an open source GPU driver that just supports OpenGL 2, so it will be probably slow as fuck. I will not even mention the quality of bundled apps, which might be very questionable, as it used to be in similar projects with low financial funds.

Comment

• Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
          They never offered anything different from Android, down to short support and outdated kernels. It just looked different and had a whole different (non-existent) ecosystem. But different isn't enough.
          The full desktop convergence is nothing?! The ability to turn your smartphone into a full-fledged desktop is nothing?! Not even mention Qt-based C++ apps, while Android was mainly focused around Java (I know, Android NDK has been available for a long time, but at the beginning it was not very commonly used).

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
          Sorry what phones with Tizien and Sailfish OS even exist(ed)?
          Last I checked, only hardware running Tizien were some smartwatches and embedded devices (smart fridges and the like).
          Check out Samsung Z-series. At that time, Tizen was seen as a potential successor of MeeGo, or rather a mix of Bada and MeeGo.
          The Verge is about technology and how it makes us feel. Founded in 2011, we offer our audience everything from breaking news to reviews to award-winning features and investigations, on our site, in video, and in podcasts.

The Verge is about technology and how it makes us feel. Founded in 2011, we offer our audience everything from breaking news to reviews to award-winning features and investigations, on our site, in video, and in podcasts.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
          That's more Ubuntu Core's turf. And it's not that bad for such a usecase, but it's far from the first or the most used there (again Android is roflstomping anything in many embedded designs too)
          Ubuntu Phone was for phones and mobile devices.
          Sorry, but Maemo an MeeGo were mainly known from smartphones, especially Nokia N900 and Nokia N9. Actually, Maemo was a mobile OS for smartphones and tablets. MeeGo has wider applications, but it was still associated mainly with Nokia smartphones.
          In my opinion, Ubuntu Edge with Ubuntu Touch appeared as the spiritual successor of the Nokia N900 with Maemo or Nokia N9 with MeeGo - a polished smartphone for Linux geeks, but not quite for total nerds.
          I mean, Tizen, Sailfish OS and Ubuntu Touch followed the path of Maemo/MeeGo (mobile platforms for Linux geeks), while Bada and webOS tried to be more like Android (mobile platforms for normal users).

Comment

• @ # 83 --

"...The Pinephone is a wite box OEM phone with a opensource firmware. It is massively mass-produced smartphone designed by a third party and sold under many different brands that can't afford their own hardware design..."

I do NOT know what a "...wite box..." is, but I do know enough about the law--and precedent--to know that far less than this idiotic, pretentious, smug--oh, and patently false--statement has been considered legally 'actionable'.

Perhaps all the revenue generated by this arrogant, pompous Premium Member's 11140 'click-baits', and his Premium Membership fee, will be enough to render the raising of enough money to cover any potential legal-defence fees a moot point...for all parties involved.

Comment

• Originally posted by danmcgrew View Post
              @ # 83 --

"...The Pinephone is a wite box OEM phone with a opensource firmware. It is massively mass-produced smartphone designed by a third party and sold under many different brands that can't afford their own hardware design..."

I do NOT know what a "...wite box..." is, but I do know enough about the law--and precedent--to know that far less than this idiotic, pretentious, smug--oh, and patently false--statement has been considered legally 'actionable'.

Perhaps all the revenue generated by this arrogant, pompous Premium Member's 11140 'click-baits', and his Premium Membership fee, will be enough to render the raising of enough money to cover any potential legal-defence fees a moot point...for all parties involved.
              "white box". It's what is described. In the laptop space, Clevo does white box, with sellers like System76 rebranding them. Can you link to evidence that the PinePhone isn't rebranded hardware from a mass producer?

Comment

• Originally posted by the_scx View Post
                The point is that Canonical is a huge company, and yet they have not been able to refine the product for a planned release. I am not gonna say that Purism is just a random group of hobbyists, but Librem 5 with PureOS is basically a crowdfunding start-up, largely relying on the community. It is very likely that their platform will be in a barely usable condition for a long time after the release. Damn, they are going to use GNOME 3 UI (I know, without GNOME Shell, but still based on GNOME Libs, while Ubuntu Touch used a Qt-based interface) on a low-performance device, with an open source GPU driver that just supports OpenGL 2, so it will be probably slow as fuck. I will not even mention the quality of bundled apps, which might be very questionable, as it used to be in similar projects with low financial funds.
                Oh yes, I mean, what can I say? I completely agree. Canonical made very good choices in terms of technologies (QML/Qt Quick) but simply had a very immature implementation. Quite frankly, they were rushing things. And they had no choice because they hyped it up so much. I think Purism's only hope is that they get tons of community support from Gnome and others.

The bundled apps might actually be good, because mostly they are taking Gnome applications like Epiphany and changing their widgets to adapt to a mobile form factor. The question is whether their mobile UI performance will be any good, and whether GTK itself will be performant enough given their weak hardware. It's hard to say, but I think your guess is more likely to be correct than not.

Comment

• @ #126 --

You, and the referenced idiot, suffer from many of the same problems, to wit:

"white box". It's what is described. In the..."

So, like the mouth-breather, you have to display your sterling erudition by training me and instructing me.
                  I never said, nor implied, that I didn't know what a 'white box' is. What I said was--now pay very close attention--is that I do not know what a "wite box" (bolded and italicised for your benefit) is; the device or contraption mentioned in the block-head's post.

"...Can you link to evidence that the PinePhone isn't rebranded hardware from a mass producer?"

Give it a rest. This tactic is so absolutely standard fare and so old amongst you cretin click-bait generators that it is beneath contempt. You, and the room-temperature-IQ moron you are obviously trying to emulate ALWAYS try to keep your artificial argument alive by generating 'red herrings' ["red herring"--have someone--other than the egoistic sh*thead, of course, explain it to you] such as (now pay close attention, again), making ridiculous, specious, false statements and then--when challenged--saying, in a haughty, offended, self-righteous tone, "Well, can you provide any link which states otherwise (or something similar)...".
                  [In case you missed it in your A**hole-In-Training training sessions, another standard, old, OLD chestnut is "...but you didn't answer my question...". Check with the ratbag; I'm certain he can give you a lot of pointers.]

You and the git buffoon suffer from the same malady: you can't read, you can't write, and you can't comprehend; it's obvious that "thinking" is way up there in the list of what you two canNOT do, also. You both need to refer to the following well-written and highly appropriate--for you two--article. The only problem, for you two self-serving half-wits is that multi-syllabic [again: you two have someone else look up this term for you] words are used:

"Reading comprehension is a big problem in open-source"

https://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/...rehension.html
                  Last edited by danmcgrew; 01 August 2019, 11:55 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by danmcgrew View Post
                    I never said, nor implied, that I didn't know what a 'white box' is. What I said was--now pay very close attention--is that I do not know what a "wite box" (bolded and italicised for your benefit) is; the device or contraption mentioned in the block-head's post.
                    That's clearly just a simple mistype of white box. The rest of your post confirms you are a troll and so I shall endeavor to ignore you going forward.

Comment

• @ 129 --
                      "That's clearly just a simple mistype of white box...I shall endeavor to ignore you going forward."

So now you are debasing and ridiculing yourself by defending the shithead? Perhaps that's because you are the shithead, simply with another name?

"...and so I shall endeavor to ignore you going forward."

Here's a clue for you, dumbshit: you and the a**hole will have to ignore me the only way the either of you possibly can: going backwards; that's the only option open to you.
                      You can't even pull off being a pompous ass with any finesse. Yep--the shithead, alright.

{It's time for you to apply for Premium Membership, by the way.}

Comment

Working...
                      X