Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Linux 5.3 Will Surprisingly Support The Newest Keyboard/Trackpads Of Apple MacBooks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 5.3 Will Surprisingly Support The Newest Keyboard/Trackpads Of Apple MacBooks

Phoronix: Linux 5.3 Will Surprisingly Support The Newest Keyboard/Trackpads Of Apple MacBooks

As a last minute surprise for the Linux 5.3 kernel merge window is support for the keyboard and trackpads on newer Apple MacBooks and MacBook Pro laptops...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

The new Apple Pi. (sorry, pretty late here and hence didn't bring any pictures) (please note this is not a real product)
    "Dev board. Reimagined.":
    - Thinnest dev board ever at 2mm, made of aluminium with Apple logo in the center.
    - Apple-designed case ($100, sold separately).
    ​​​​​​- 2 Thunderbolt 3 ports. Power, USB, HDMI, audio and GPIO, all from the same cable. (Requires $85 adapter, sold separately)
    - piOS 1.0, based on iOS (with App Store for Pi, that Siri thingy and stuff).
    - Built-in microphone.
    - No microSD card slot or headphone jack.
    ​​​​​​​- 32GB storage capacity.
    - Will never run Linux or Windows IoT.
    - We're not going to tell you the rest of hardware specs because we are so secretive and don't want you to escape our walled garden that easily.
    - Board cost: $350.
    Last edited by tildearrow; 21 July 2019, 01:23 PM.

Comment

Typos:

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
      USB devices lke all of the other modern laptops,
      Originally posted by phoronix View Post
      Linux input subsystem maintaner Dmitry Torokhov

Comment

When I saw article i really hoped Apple released documentation on devices. Fat chance...

Comment

any why not to buy any such modern Apple devices, on top of soldered SSD and/or RAM, glued battery, touch bar nonsense, T2 pseudo security, and plenty of design defects: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgcXGvdK4lk

Comment

Originally posted by rene View Post
            any why not to buy any such modern Apple devices, on top of soldered SSD and/or RAM, glued battery, touch bar nonsense, T2 pseudo security, and plenty of design defects: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgcXGvdK4lk
            Luckily all the other manufacturers make perfect laptops with no issues.

Comment

Originally posted by scottishduck View Post

They have issues, but not in the same level as recent Macbooks. That keyboard problem alone should steer anyone away from such devices.

Comment

It's hard to find a decent laptop these days. Lenovo's offerings don't have much besides the brand name and IBM trackpoints, and the other options are just Dell and HP. All keyboard layouts are awful, and laptops aren't designed to be servicable or upgradable these days. Everything gets so thin that thermal throttling is normal even with 15W chips, and I/O is scarce.

A keyboard without a pointing stick is useless. This applies to desktops as well.

Comment

It should speak volumes that more than every 2nd Mac I owned had serial defects. This latest keyboard issues along are unseen among the industry kind of forever: And you really want a soldered SSD to never upgrade or recover data?

Comment

Originally posted by DoMiNeLa10 View Post

It's hard to find a decent laptop these days. Lenovo's offerings don't have much besides the brand name and IBM trackpoints, and the other options are just Dell and HP. All keyboard layouts are awful, and laptops aren't designed to be servicable or upgradable these days. Everything gets so thin that thermal throttling is normal even with 15W chips, and I/O is scarce.

A keyboard without a pointing stick is useless. This applies to desktops as well.
                    yet the ThinkPads are still the best option, although I agree I would prefer more CPU power, swappable battery, and all this kind of fun stuff.

Comment

Working...
                    X