Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by danmcgrew View Post
    @ #7

"...The difference is that Librem 5 will actually have one cohesive experience so it should be more streamlined. The cost of the pinephone is so low because it's missing some components that you'd find in a smartphone,let alone the developer support which I'm willing to bet that it doesn't have the same level of it."

And I'm willing to bet that you haven't even read the material on Pine's website concerning the PinePhone because you find it much easier and self-serving to spout personal opinion than to actually have to think for yourself. Pathetic.

Missing components? No developer support such as you, profoundWHALE, get from all your 'SMARTphone" suppliers? You need to see about a getting a refund from those SMARTphone suppliers of yours--they haven't done you any good at all.

You need a serious lesson in being rational. Try getting a RationalPhone. Smartphones are definitely not working in your case.

Need any more examples of Olympian statements and strictly personal opinion, folks? And lack of critical thinking skills? Don't go away; there will be more...
    I don't want to offend, I just want to give you my perspective: I didn't read this post, I've read only your previous one and that made me skip this. Why? I find you convoluted and verbose and you remind me a lawyer or a bureaucrat. I feel that your replies don't provide any enrichment to the discussion.

Comment

Originally posted by wizard69 View Post
      I probably should avoid this sewer but what the hell, graphical EMACS is light years ahead of the terminal offerings in my opinion. This especially for the casual user that wants to focus on code note the IDE. Yes EMACS could be called an IDE. For the life of me I can’t understand why people spend so much time memorizing the arcane command structures of terminal based editors. It isn’t the 1980’s anymore. I’d much rather focus my efforts on the language at hand. This applies also to VIM/GVIM users; I’d take the graphical editor any day over the terminal solution. Given that I do install VIM/GVIM on any system I have access to because you never no.
      I respect people who understand why people use emacs/vim but prefers IDEs, people like you however which have not given it a proper chance are just biased and for some unknown reason shits on it without any proper argument while trying to sound like you know what you are talking about.

So so yeah I’d go the graphical route any day. It makes my life much easier by avoiding the overhead of learning what amounts to an entire scripting language just to write a quick Python script and it even makes sense for C++.
      Just like a programming language, it's a tool to make you more efficient and of course you are going to be slow in the beginning. Your take on it is pretty much "Why would I learn C++ if I can already code in Python?".

I use VIM because it allows me to more quickly express myself in code. Sure, the insert mode is the same speed as in any IDE, but moving the cursor without using the mouse or holding down an arrow key, using recordings and buffers, complex selection, repeating commands and a powerful find/replace implementation are great tools. And being able to access all of them without using the mouse and with logical default bindings with motions and actions is easy to remember once you get used to it. Using Vim is not a chore once you get used to it, your brain learns to use these motions and actions without even thinking about it after a while. If there was a lightweight IDE with good VIM bindings I might use it when writing on large projects rather than scripts, but all IDEs with VIM bindings I've used are simply bloated or has shitty VIM bindings.

I do not have an opinion about emacs because I've not used it enough to be able to review it.

Comment

Typical Phoronix post... let's rehash some links to previous articles, complain about things that aren't implemented yet, and then bury a blog post on the last paragraph.

The actual news today was a tease of actual hardware on their Youtube Librem 5 series:
        Runs on Librem 5, Day 16 - Something a little different...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJvAvr8j4gw

Comment

Librem had better "...step it up and go..."; the $149.00 PinePhone, a hand-held Linux computer masquerading as a secure, NON-Android smartphone, is scheduled to start shipping in Q4. All kinds of operating systems; replaceable low-cost Samsung battery; BOOTABLE microSD card; HD digital video out; hardware switches to disable functions, for security; headphone jack... you know--little things like that. For $149.00. And no Google.

https://www.pine64.org/pinephone/
          PinePhone is awesome and I'll be getting one, but it's a completely different device than the Librem 5. PinePhone is literally an SBC put into a phone case, while Librem 5 is a proper mid-range smartphone.

There's an audience for both.

Comment

Originally posted by siberzk View Post

I'm using Emacs daily, and exclusively through terminal. Why? Well why not? If I need to ssh in to my work machine then my Emacs session is right there ready to go. What does the graphical version have to offer that I'm missing?
            You can run Emacs locally and use TRAMP to edit on a remote machine as if you were doing it locally.

Graphical Emacs provides fringes, superior keyboard handling (try typing C-M-V in your terminal, for instance, it cannot be sent properly due to limitations in ASCII), ability to display pictures if you need to, the ability to handle more fonts, pixelwise resizing, and that's just a short list of things I remembered on the spot.

Comment

Originally posted by moilami View Post

Because it is minimalist no distractions old school terminal beauty.
              I prefer having the editor fill the entire screen rather than having ugly borders because my font size isn't perfectly divisible by my resolution. In fact, I can get more screen real estate, because fringes take up less space when working with long lines.

Comment

For the life of me I can’t understand why people spend so much time memorizing the arcane command structures of terminal based editors. It isn’t the 1980’s anymore. I’d much rather focus my efforts on the language at hand.
                I use VIM in a terminal. Learning it is not something that takes a long time because you don't need to do it all at once. You just learn the basics for navigating a file and inserting/deleting/saving stuff. You can branch out and learn the more complicated things if and when you feel like it.

As to why do it at all, for me it is the ideal of never having to switch editors again. I can use VIM to write everything, even in situations where system functionality is degraded (no display server, remote editing over a network). I also like never having to lift my hands from the keyboard, because touching the mouse totally breaks your flow. The graphical clients do have advantages, mainly features that a terminal client could never have, but I find all of it to be superfluous stuff that I can live without. I prefer the simplicity of having one editor to rule them all. In light of that, the knowledge involved is manageable, because it's better than learning new shortcuts or configuration options every time I change to a new language/environment and use their editor. (and if we're speaking of graphical VIM/Emacs, it's just the reliability of the terminal that is the advantage, because you will end up learning the shortcuts just to operate faster anyway)

And the best thing of all? It will be around forever, so whatever I learn will always be useful to me.

Comment

@ 24 --
                  "PinePhone is awesome and I'll be getting one, but it's a completely different device than the Librem 5. PinePhone is literally an SBC put into a phone case, while Librem 5 is a proper mid-range smartphone.
                  There's an audience for both."

You're right, almost right, and (very) right again--Pine put some trouble into developing a motherboard for the PinePhone--which just happens to be based on one of their SBCs, much as their $199 Linux notebook has its own motherboard design, but based on the very powerful ROCKPro64 SBC. For very explicit details, and the very refreshing sharing of motherboard-implementation "oops"es and ad-hoc fixes, see the following:

start here--
                  PINE64 is a large, vibrant and diverse community and creates software, documentation and projects.

If that's too much TL;DR and TMI, just click on these three sites for the PinePhone:

PinePhone Development wiki--

UBPorts PinePhone forum thread--
                  As of mid 2020, I'm not able to stay on top of PinePhone developments due to other demands on my time, so my periodic updates are more or less stopped for no...

Pine64 wiki entry for Phase 3 of the PinePhone--

I'll be getting one also. I've been waiting a long time for someone to release all the potential which exists in the 'smartphone', and give us the computer which it really is. The Pine Group has done that, and the PinePhone is the result.
                  The GooglePhone is in trouble. ...It's about damned time; it could't happen to a more deserving organization...

Comment

Well I wondered how they manage to get Emacs running without a wayland port of emacs, 2 Ways possible Xwayland or Konsole it was the latter.

I have 3 things to say:
                    1. like somebody said Console Only Emacs is not as good, because limitations of Keyboard shortcut but even X frame support is great because Emacs with X can display pdfs and Pictures.
                    2. If everybody from the pine64 Community is as toxic and aggressive than the people here attacking the people for just disliking it for whatever reasons (maybe misinformed or whatever, and even attacking to have a opinion and posting opinions in forums) I would not want a hardware with such a toxic community.
                    3. Emacs with a software keyboard is a Nogo, I find both projects absurd to have no hardware keyboard. It's ok to be a bit more expensive for the hardware Blackberry did that for many years till now, when you have a hardware keyboard

Well I guess that is independent from Emacs a point but with emacs it get's even more a point.

Comment

@ 24 --
                      danmcgrew Are you on mobile? You can quote by tapping the empty space after the Like button and selecting "Quote".

Comment

Working...
                      X