Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

With An Out-Of-Tree Kernel Patch You Can Finally Read/Write To The SSDs On Newer Macs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by stormcrow View Post

And how long did it take to move from BIOS to UEFI in non-Apple PC land? Nearly all of the vendors jumped directly from BIOS to UEFI. Apple will probably not move to UEFI before they eventually decide to drop x86_64 entirely, and ARM uses a different firmware ... I'm not sure there even is a board firmware standard like UEFI for ARM.
    I think they updated to 64-bit EFI 1.10 in 2012 though. It doesn't really make sense to provide anything more than that. It would just make switching to other OSes easier.

Comment

Can somebody enlighten me - as a completely apple-agnostic non apple user - about the actual technical issues that make it so hard to get Linux on Apple. The article by Michael was a bit terse on technical details. For the drive is it "just" the missing EFI driver? Is there crypto stuff or security chips that needs to be cracked? And what is it about the keyboard which was once the most simple input device?

Comment

That's allright I suppose, apple is mostly just for suckers who fall for marketing bullshit and don't know what to do with their money tho.

It amazes me they can sell people on the idea of having just one mouse button, they're really damn good at marketing, I'll have to give them that. Too bad it's the only thing they're good at.
        Last edited by rabcor; 04 July 2019, 03:34 AM.

Comment

Apple, hahaha.

No thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Britoid View Post

There was hysteria over that people kept accusing Apple of actively blocking Linux, then that was never the case, Linux just didn't have drivers for apples weird hardware.
            you mean drivers adapter for their accidental or intentional incompatible implementation bugs? I'm still not sure which of the two makes Apple worse than the other, ..!?

Comment

Originally posted by stormcrow View Post

And how long did it take to move from BIOS to UEFI in non-Apple PC land? Nearly all of the vendors jumped directly from BIOS to UEFI. Apple will probably not move to UEFI before they eventually decide to drop x86_64 entirely, and ARM uses a different firmware ... I'm not sure there even is a board firmware standard like UEFI for ARM.
              the difference between EFI and UEFI is pretty minor, Apple was just one of the first to use EFI on x86 and biggest difference is likely the one letter in the name.

Comment

The keyboards are shiite, the put cpus in that have zero hope of not operating in a thermally throttled state, they skimp hard on ram. Why spend 2k+ for *maybe* 700usd worth of hardware???

Comment

Originally posted by bnolsen View Post
                  Why spend 2k+ for *maybe* 700usd worth of hardware???
                  I wouldn't buy one myself but if I can get work to purchase one for me I will certainly consider it (I could also get some toy with Windows 10 but why would I want to do that?). It would make working remotely a whole lot easier as I can connect to a less restrictive VPN when using a corporate laptop. RDP is infuriating.

Comment

Working...
                  X