Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

With An Out-Of-Tree Kernel Patch You Can Finally Read/Write To The SSDs On Newer Macs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• With An Out-Of-Tree Kernel Patch You Can Finally Read/Write To The SSDs On Newer Macs

Phoronix: With An Out-Of-Tree Kernel Patch You Can Finally Read/Write To The SSDs On Newer Macs

While Apple computers once ran well with Linux, that's not been the case in recent years particularly for MacBook Pros but now really all newer Apple computers have become a mess on Linux. There's been really messy issues in trying to run Macs on Linux. With MacBook Pros from recent revisions, it's now only finally possible for Linux to read/write to the solid-state drive if using an out-of-tree patch...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I'm just impressed they managed to yet again turn an industry standard into an incompatible hack.

Comment

Originally posted by microcode View Post
      I'm just impressed they managed to yet again turn an industry standard into an incompatible hack.
      I think that's the company motto at Apple.

Comment

Can we just leave Apple alone? They sure are doing their best to be left alone, why none can leave them alone.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
          Can we just leave Apple alone? They sure are doing their best to be left alone, why none can leave them alone.
          Seems like Marc Driftmeyer got through to you

Comment

Note that this patch is for 2018 and later, not 2016 as stated in the article. I have run Ubuntu on my 2016 MBP at work for a long time

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post
              Seems like Marc Driftmeyer got through to you
              Yeah I kiss him on the mouth every evening, don't judge.

Comment

Even Apple repair guys are telling their customers to not buy new mac's.

Apple's goal is apparently a locked box, from production to failure.

Comment

Apple used to make hardware that I wished other vendors to emulate. Now all I wish is that they keep themselves as far as possible from them. That soldered SSD that cannot have its contents recovered after a mobo failure (they removed a rescue connector on the board), just to sell some cloud crap, was the last straw.

You must suffer from a serious case of Stockholm syndrome, to be loyal to a company that do so much anti-consumer actions.

Comment

Originally posted by Pajn View Post
                    Note that this patch is for 2018 and later, not 2016 as stated in the article. I have run Ubuntu on my 2016 MBP at work for a long time
                    Completely untrue - for many Macbooks manufactured as early as 2015 and later this is a problem which makes it impossible to run the Linux kernel. You are just lucky not to have one of the effected models.

Comment

Working...
                    X