Samsung NC10 Netbook

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

just takes a bit of work

I've just bought one of these for the wife. I made a bootable USB stick under Intrepid and used it to install Intrepid on the NC10. Overall following the guide on the Ubuntu wiki things weren't so bad.

? Wireless drivers work after enabling backports,installing extra packages and blacklisting the other modules.
    ? Sound was better after updating to the -proposed kernel. Needed to open the volume control and adjust/turn on various bits.
    ? Brightness keys will need a small kernel patch, hopefully Ubuntu will include it one day. For the moment I installed the brightness applet.
    ? I enabled laptop mode and adjusted the HD power saving times.
    ? The main remaining problem is that the touchpad vertical sensitivity is too high.

Pretty much everything else just worked. The battery lasts for ages - not sure how long yet but in excess of five hours!

Anyway, if I had wanted everything to 'just work' I would have got a Dell Mini 9.

Comment

Originally posted by mesamoo View Post
      Guess not enough are released for you to find linux based netbooks to review.

Yes all of the GENERAL reviews I've read suggest the nc 10 is a very nice machine, (I even considered it myself before purchasing a linux based device) but I come to Phoronix hoping for news about Linux products, unfortunately I am usually disappointed. Phoronix does not need to re-iterate what has been said elsewhere. If your benchmarks had compared the NC 10 with other (Linux Based) netbooks it would have been more useful.
      If you have not noticed the selection of linux native netbooks is not very good. On top of that the biggest problem is most OEMs are only putting linux on their very low end selection. So basically your only option for a high end linux netbook is to do just what they did and buy the netbook of choice and put the OS they prefer on it.

The nc10 is one of the most reccomended netbooks on the web and im sure plenty of people where curious about the difficulty of getting linux installed on it ad how well it performed when installed.

Now what that has to do with the nc92 system is beyond me and why they are comparing them instead of comparing something relevant is anyones guess.

Comment

I was so excited to see netbooks come with linux... and then the EEE pc 1000h came out with very nice specs and only windows.

Still waiting for another decent netbook with linux preinstalled. It's not for the preinstallation -- the first thing I'll do is erase it and put something else, but I don't want to give my money to microsoft, and to add +1 on those "see we sold more netbooks with windows than with linux" stats.

I want my +1 on the linux column.

Comment

I agree with simbloke -- with a little bit of work this laptop works perfectly in linux.

My preference is to make my own systems rather than to depend on some "just works" thing which never quite delivers.

At the moment the only thing that doesn't work for me is the wifi led light which is not turned off when I disable the wifi. DAMN!

I use a custom kernel for this machine, patched with the fn keys patch. All hardware is supported in the kernel, no need for binary drivers of any kind.

Wifi works flawlessly with ath5k driver.

Battery life -- I'm getting up to 7,5 hours (with wifi, usb, bluetooth, camera disabled), and around 5-6 hours in regular use.

I'm very happy with it overall.

Comment

Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
            Define "broken".
            Binary package hint: firefox-3.0 When I right click on an item in firefox 3, occasionally the menu does not appear, but instead firefox chooses an item at random from the menu and executes that. It seems to happen more frequently if the system/firefox is under load (eg when update-manager is updating or when many tabs are open in firefox). It *might* be that holding the mouse button down longer prevents it from happening, but it's hard to tell because of the random nature of the bug. Ver...

Binary package hint: firefox-3.0 This is hard to reliably reproduce but frequent enough to be a real nuisance. When Firefox isn't busy right-click apparently works fine. When Firefox is working on another tab/window and the user tries to right-click a link, it sometimes doesn't display the menu but instead just randomly auto-selects one of the options. I've seen this enough now to know it's not just me being daft an rolling the mouse over the selection etc. This is a single unmoved right ...

since 8.04 installed i have an issue with firefox 3 that when i right click a link in a page then one of the following actions happen: - open the standard context menu for the selected link (this should be the expected behavior). - open the link in a new window. - open the bookmark dialog for the selected link. - open a new compose message in evolution where the message body is the selected link. - perform the "switch page direction" from right to left. strange isn't it ?? any idea ???

Very, very annoying.

Comment

I'm posting from an acer aspire one 110L which I ordered for $250 from newegg around black friday.
              I put Arch Linux on it (so far I'm happy with my choice).

The samsung keyboard looks identical to the AA1. Is it the same or larger size?

Also it seems the samsung is vastly more expensive than all the other atom based netbooks out there.
              Especially considering it's hardware wise almost identical to the MSI wind.
              I don't see 6 cell batteries costing $200.

I see nothing in this review that tells me that this samsung brings anything new to the table.

Try again??
              Last edited by bnolsen; 06 January 2009, 12:13 AM.

Comment

I'm getting all excited about new VIA's Nano based
                netbook with VX800 integrated graphics. I'm not quite
                sure, but I think VIA had XvMC for quite some time,
                and this one could prove capable of playing some nice
                HD video and feel a bit less underpowered than Atom

Comment

Originally posted by joffe View Post
                  https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s....0/+bug/206295
                  Binary package hint: firefox-3.0 This is hard to reliably reproduce but frequent enough to be a real nuisance. When Firefox isn't busy right-click apparently works fine. When Firefox is working on another tab/window and the user tries to right-click a link, it sometimes doesn't display the menu but instead just randomly auto-selects one of the options. I've seen this enough now to know it's not just me being daft an rolling the mouse over the selection etc. This is a single unmoved right ...

since 8.04 installed i have an issue with firefox 3 that when i right click a link in a page then one of the following actions happen: - open the standard context menu for the selected link (this should be the expected behavior). - open the link in a new window. - open the bookmark dialog for the selected link. - open a new compose message in evolution where the message body is the selected link. - perform the "switch page direction" from right to left. strange isn't it ?? any idea ???

Very, very annoying.
                  That's not an Ubuntu issue, per se, but a Firefox one.

And, yes, it's very annoying- and one I find on eeeBuntu as well, but it's something boggled in the browser itself, not in any given distro.

Comment

Originally posted by clavko View Post
                    I'm getting all excited about new VIA's Nano based
                    netbook with VX800 integrated graphics. I'm not quite
                    sure, but I think VIA had XvMC for quite some time,
                    and this one could prove capable of playing some nice
                    HD video and feel a bit less underpowered than Atom

http://www.techreport.com/discussions.x/16158
                    Heh... They might actually have something good going there, finally, with the work they're doing with OpenChrome, etc. If a vendor couples it with a usable WiFi (No Broadcom stuff...), it should be a decent play if the support's "there" for the graphics stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
                      That's not an Ubuntu issue, per se, but a Firefox one.

And, yes, it's very annoying- and one I find on eeeBuntu as well, but it's something boggled in the browser itself, not in any given distro.
                      Well, my Firefox 3 works fine in Vista, XP and OpenSolaris so I could only presume it was a distro issue.

Comment

Working...
                      X