No announcement yet.

Purism Talks Up The Librem 5 Smartphone Boot Speed, Price Increase Coming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

well i can't stop comparing this to the person that tried for a few years to port gcc to git (he even got a threadripper from someone) and then the other person does the same with a few line of script.

Comment

Originally posted by danmcgrew View Post

I'm buying the PinePhone, with a removeable, replaceable battery and a headphone jack--for less than $200.00.
      And a Pinebook Pro Linux laptop (Ubuntu, KDE Neon, Q4OS and more); magnesium case. Same price.

PINE64 is a large, vibrant and diverse community and creates software, documentation and projects.

https://www.pine64.org/pinephone/
      "...for less than $200.00...". Target price is $149.00. Software being developed / ported include Postmarket OS, UBPorts, KDE Plasma Mobile, Sailfish OS, Maemo Leste, Nix OS, Lune OS, Nemo Mobile...

"...Ubuntu, KDE Neon, Q4OS and more...". Including BSD and Android. And more; see the website.

Comment

Originally posted by Raka555 View Post
        I order the dev kit and phone.
        Dev kit still hasn't arrived
        You should contact their support at support @ puri.sm

Comment

PinePhone? I guess the "problem" with PinePhone is that they don't try to sell it as some kind of magical fairytale privacy device. Librem 5 is 90% crappy marketing and 10% substance. I kind of feel sorry for the backers already.

Comment

Originally posted by ldesnogu View Post
            And anyway do you turn off your phone while you have it with you? I never turn it off and don't know anyone who does.
            Criminals about to commit a crime, that's who does that.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post

It's more likely that they just keep using ARM and acquire the cores they need through a third party that isn't blocked.

It's not like they give a fuck about IP there. Since they don't need to be able to export a crap anymore (no google apps = no exports of Android devices), why not giving them a finger.
              Having no regard for the so-called "intellectual property" is one of these things I like in Chinese people. I wish others would see that the whole idea is just harmful and should be dropped.

Comment

Originally posted by ldesnogu View Post
                And anyway do you turn off your phone while you have it with you? I never turn it off and don't know anyone who does.
                I turn off every day or two to swap out the battery. I bought a spare battery and a battery charger, so I just let the spare charge and swap them out instead of charging the phone directly. Boot time is about a half minute, so not too bad.

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                Criminals about to commit a crime, that's who does that.
                Guilty as charged.

Comment

Originally posted by Cape View Post

- 1.5 billion Chinese - sane economy where the government can get into the economy
                  - biggest manufacturing in the world

They will just come up with a new CPU platform.
                  If the US wanted to be effective at damaging the Chinese economy they should have started decades ago.
                  ​​​​
                  I don't see why they wouldn't want to pick up RISC-V.

Comment

Originally posted by DoMiNeLa10 View Post
                    Having no regard for the so-called "intellectual property" is one of these things I like in Chinese people. I wish others would see that the whole idea is just harmful and should be dropped.
                    "no intellectual property" is exactly the same as the batshit insane level of IP enforcement you have in the USA.

In both cases the strong has free reign to abuse the weak.

Comment

Originally posted by brent View Post
                      PinePhone? I guess the "problem" with PinePhone is that they don't try to sell it as some kind of magical fairytale privacy device. Librem 5 is 90% crappy marketing and 10% substance. I kind of feel sorry for the backers already.
                      You are absolutely correct: that is THE problem with the Pine organization. If you're tired of all the horse-shit being spewed by everyone from hardware manufacturers to operating system and software 'builders' of all stripes--all of whom just crank out worse and worse crap in the guise of "Newer AND Better"--just try this dose of brutal self-honesty on for size:

"...We do not wish to discourage anyone from getting the Pinebook [not referring to the Pinebook Pro], but it is not a daily driver, so if you are looking to replace your current work or school laptop it may be wise to look elsewhere."

[--From the description of Pine's $99.00 11.6" 1080p IPS Pinebook; still very much for sale. See website, under Devices > Laptops > PINEBOOK]

Comment

Working...
                      X