Purism Talks Up The Librem 5 Smartphone Boot Speed, Price Increase Coming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Purism Talks Up The Librem 5 Smartphone Boot Speed, Price Increase Coming

Phoronix: Purism Talks Up The Librem 5 Smartphone Boot Speed, Price Increase Coming

Purism is still promoting their Librem 5 Linux smartphone as coming next quarter despite not seeing any production design yet and the software stack being incomplete. While the software is still under development, they are at least promoting it as booting faster than Android...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

lol
    what the point of bragging about boot up time?
    its not like you'll reset your phone every 5 min/hours/days.
    my zenfone 2 take more than 1 minute to boot up and i really don't care about it. the only problem with booting up is when the battery is completely dead and the phone won't let me boot up unless its charging for a few minutes.

Comment

YouTube?!?! Why in the world did they link to YouTube if you already know they are the perfect opposite of Purism?!

I bet they have this very video hosted in their network instead of TheirTube...
      Last edited by tildearrow; 05 June 2019, 03:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by loganj View Post
        lol
        what the point of bragging about boot up time?
        its not like you'll reset your phone every 5 min/hours/days.
        my zenfone 2 take more than 1 minute to boot up and i really don't care about it. the only problem with booting up is when the battery is completely dead and the phone won't let me boot up unless its charging for a few minutes.
        That extra 40 seconds would matter in an emergency situation where you are powering your phone on.

Comment

Well. I really really really hope Librem 5 takes off. Despite thoroughly subpar specs (I still hate them for not providing 802.11ac) this project is the closest to a usable free/libre smartphone we’ve ever seen.

Comment

Also, I'd like to mention, I hope that penguins thing is a joke... While I know technical users will get excited about seeing penguins, sadly Average Joe does not mind about seeing penguins (and especially in a corner...) (Yes, I did tell an Average Joe about the Purism).

Also, just one more note: Somebody replace that tiny on-screen keyboard already. If the phone gets released and they still have that keyboard I am not buying.
            Last edited by tildearrow; 05 June 2019, 03:53 PM.

Comment

Now that Huawei is no longer allowed to use Android, they should invest into free software. Nobody can forbid them to use free software. An others, such as Purism, would benefit. *Sigh* I'm dreaming.

Comment

Originally posted by jf33 View Post
                Now that Huawei is no longer allowed to use Android, they should invest into free software. Nobody can forbid them to use free software. An others, such as Purism, would benefit. *Sigh* I'm dreaming.
                They *are* allowed to use Android, just not the Google stuff (and/or the Google proprietary version of it).

Comment

Originally posted by intelfx View Post
                  Well. I really really really hope Librem 5 takes off. Despite thoroughly subpar specs (I still hate them for not providing 802.11ac) this project is the closest to a usable free/libre smartphone we’ve ever seen.
                  From what I remember, it's impossible to support 802.11ac with free software, so that choice makes a lot of sense. The idea of a "free" phone does not, though. Having a baseband processor in your device undoes any attempts at achieving freedom.

Comment

Originally posted by jf33 View Post
                    ARM dropped them as well. If they manage to survive through this, there's a chance they'll be making RISC-V devices.

Comment

Working...
                    X