Purism Talks Up The Librem 5 Smartphone Boot Speed, Price Increase Coming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DoMiNeLa10 View Post

ARM dropped them as well. If they manage to survive through this, there's a chance they'll be making RISC-V devices.
    At this point it's more efficient to just throw in the towel.

Comment

I really regret backing them.
      I order the dev kit and phone.
      Dev kit still hasn't arrived

Comment

Honestly, I think they should have collaborated with PinePhone for their WIP operating system instead. If I were to pay $649, I would expect it to be a flawless experience, but if it only cost $150, I would not mind using a WIP OS.

Not only do they have to worry about getting their OS to work on their hardware, they also have to develop their OS to be usable for day to day use.

Comment

Originally posted by jf33 View Post
          Now that Huawei is no longer allowed to use Android, they should invest into free software. Nobody can forbid them to use free software. An others, such as Purism, would benefit. *Sigh* I'm dreaming.
          Yes, you are. I am afraid that Americans won't be allowed to use any improvements to any free software done by Huawei. So any improvements done by them would have the effect of "burned land" for everyone else - "can't have that, period".

Comment

Originally posted by jf33 View Post
            Now that Huawei is no longer allowed to use Android, they should invest into free software. Nobody can forbid them to use free software. An others, such as Purism, would benefit. *Sigh* I'm dreaming.
            I wish they would use PostmarketOS

Comment

Originally posted by CuriousTommy View Post
              Honestly, I think they should have collaborated with PinePhone for their WIP operating system instead. If I were to pay $649, I would expect it to be a flawless experience, but if it only cost $150, I would not mind using a WIP OS.

Not only do they have to worry about getting their OS to work on their hardware, they also have to develop their OS to be usable for day to day use.
              While I partially agree with you, I have to tell you that extra privacy protection requires a higher price.

Comment

Originally posted by Raka555 View Post

I wish they would use PostmarketOS
                Originally posted by postmarketOS
                Only suitable for hackers.
                Huawei doesn't cater to this group. They cater to the consumer in general.

Comment

Originally posted by CuriousTommy View Post

PinePhone is also going to be running several GNU/Linux distros. Videos and/or images are up on the internet of it running KDE Neon, UBPorts (Ubuntu Touch community port), LuneOS (WebOS community port), PostmarketOS, and Sailfish if I recall correctly. And I've read that swapping a distro will be nearly as simple as distrohopping on your laptop.

Comment

Originally posted by loganj View Post
                    lol
                    what the point of bragging about boot up time?
                    its not like you'll reset your phone every 5 min/hours/days.
                    my zenfone 2 take more than 1 minute to boot up and i really don't care about it. the only problem with booting up is when the battery is completely dead and the phone won't let me boot up unless its charging for a few minutes.
                    not only is this "gotcha benchmark" a rather irrelevant one, can we also talk about how they are comparing their $649 (with a price hike incoming) 2019 device to a 6+ year old device that can be had for $150? I'd like to see them go up against a OnePlus 7 Pro ($669) or ZenFone 6 ($499) or Red Magic 3 ($499), in ANY benchmark.

If your angle is "respects your freedom", then that's fine, but what do you gain by drawing attention to stuff like this and trying to pick this fight?
                    Last edited by sturmen; 05 June 2019, 04:31 PM. Reason: add call to action at end of message

Comment

I'm buying the PinePhone, with a removeable, replaceable battery and a headphone jack--for less than $200.00.
                      And a Pinebook Pro Linux laptop (Ubuntu, KDE Neon, Q4OS and more); magnesium case. Same price.

PINE64 is a large, vibrant and diverse community and creates software, documentation and projects.

Comment

Working...
                      X