Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Librem 5 Smartphone Software Made More Progress In May But Still No Hardware Signs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• drohm
    replied
    Originally posted by Michael View Post

More information will be exposed in time.
    This can't be good...

Leave a comment:

• L_A_G
    replied
    Originally posted by drohm View Post
    Is it just me or does Michael really not like/trust Purism?
    To me it sounded more like he was just trying to keep to known facts of the matter without anything extra. Which I honestly think is how it should be done.

Considering that summer has started I'm wondering what that'll do to progress on the software front. We're not talking about enthusiastic students here, we're talking about people who probably have families, kids, jobs with vacation time etc. and over the next few months they're obviously going to be losing everyone for a few weeks to a month when they go on holiday.

Don't get me wrong, it's not like people won't work at all during the summer. I myself lost my summer holiday the year before last because of a project that needed to be deployment ready by autumn and again last summer because I had only just started at the job so I didn't really have any vacation time to use for a proper summer holiday. However the only ones of my co-workers that did work trough the summer at my previous job were ones without a family. Everyone else went on vacation as we kept working and it obviously didn't help when one of said co-workers joked about "only" taking 6 weeks off when returning as I only took two days.

However maybe I'm just ranting a bit because of how I'm finally going to be able to take a proper summer holiday this summer, but will be spending at least half of it moving house (as if I hadn't done enough of that last year when I had to move back and forth because of a plumbing renovation).

Leave a comment:

• Michael
    replied
    More information will be exposed in time.

Leave a comment:

• LoveRPi
    replied
    Originally posted by caligula View Post
    Do you how many paid work hours is the effort equivalent to? I suppose the previous hardware had to be reverse engineered without any documentation.
    For a single platform probably 10000 man hours to get everything outside of the GPU upstream.

Leave a comment:

• starshipeleven
    replied
    Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
    That on-screen keyboard is too small... Is this supposed to be a Palm/Nintendo DS-like device (keys too small you need a stylus to type) or a modern smartphone?
    that's a bit smaller than normal, and I don't like the small size of the text on the buttons, but a modern touchscreen can handle it. I mean smartphones with smaller screens existed (pepperidge farm remembers) and their keyboard wasn't that big either.

With decent capacitive touchscreens (hard surface, does not bend when touch, you don't need to apply force to operate them) the touch event is sent to the center of the pressed surface, it's not like a physical keyboard where if you push more than one key... you are pressing more than one key.

Nintendo DS and Palm had resistive touchscreens (plastic surface, does bend when you press it), resistive touchscreens are very rugged but always sucked at precision.
    Even with industrial control panels (that have to be rugged) when you need anything resembling fine control you need a stylus (or a stick), and therefore buttons and keyboards are comically oversized.

Also, do note that capacitive touchscreens have bigass "stylus" devices that aren't pointy at all.

That's without going into the powered stylus that senses the pressure you apply to it (which is mostly for artists).

Leave a comment:

• caligula
    replied
    Originally posted by LoveRPi View Post
    Sunxi community for Allwinner took 5 years to get where it is. Libre Computer's first Amlogic boards took 2 years to finally get into shape. Rockchip platforms are finally getting the first usable upstream with Linux 5.3 with u-boot nowhere in sight.
    Do you how many paid work hours is the effort equivalent to? I suppose the previous hardware had to be reverse engineered without any documentation.

Leave a comment:

• tildearrow
    replied
    That on-screen keyboard is too small... Is this supposed to be a Palm/Nintendo DS-like device (keys too small you need a stylus to type) or a modern smartphone?

Leave a comment:

• andyprough
    replied
    PinePhone seems to be moving along nicely. Second set of development devices are out to devs I believe. For $150 and nearly all open source firmware/software and physical kill switches, this is going to be one to watch.

Here's a picture from last week of SailfishOS lock screen using open source Lima driver, Mesa and kernel 5.1. on a PinePhone dev kit: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D7WKEbTXkAAu7EL.jpg
    And a week and half old video of LuneOS (WebOS community fork) on Pinephone devkit, with patched Mesa/Lima for QtWebEngine on PinePhone: https://www.invidio.us/watch?v=3SyqbI24qu0

Leave a comment:

• LoveRPi
    replied
    It takes at least a LTS Linux releases to get an upstream kernel in shape for a platform. If the hardware design is dependent on that, then it takes at least 2 years.

Librem is aggressive on the timeline front and facing all kinds of stack issues. Hardware is easy, software takes crazy amounts of time for the noble effort of upstream.

Sunxi community for Allwinner took 5 years to get where it is. Libre Computer's first Amlogic boards took 2 years to finally get into shape. Rockchip platforms are finally getting the first usable upstream with Linux 5.3 with u-boot nowhere in sight.

It never moves as quickly or as easily or as cheaply as people think. Your hardware cost is maybe 1/10th the total effort cost but when completed, it's a beautiful stable creation.
    Last edited by LoveRPi; 28 May 2019, 12:26 PM.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    The article looked dry to me, it's normal to begin to doubt things when issues keep popping up.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X