Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Librem 5 Smartphone Software Made More Progress In May But Still No Hardware Signs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• make_adobe_on_Linux!
    replied
    Is LineageOS is still top? I mean if you actually want to be able to move around the world and use Uber, WhatsApp, and other necessities (for most of us)?

Leave a comment:

• caligula
    replied
    Originally posted by LoveRPi View Post

For a single platform probably 10000 man hours to get everything outside of the GPU upstream.
    Ok that's quite a lot. I had no idea that the community contributions can be so huge. 10000 hours is like 5 years of full time paid work on the kernel code.

Leave a comment:

• Drizzt321
    replied
    Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
    Palm Treos and Centros certainly did have a resistive touch, and he was clearly talking about devices with crappy touch accuracy requiring a stylus, which means the devices with resistive touch.

Later models (the Pre for example) adopted capacitive touchscreens.
    Which still had that sweet, sweet slide out full portrait hardware keyboard *sigh* I sorely miss my Pre/Pre3. Used the Pre3 as long as I could, then finally had to go Android via Cyanogenmod/LineageOS.

Leave a comment:

• Vistaus
    replied
    Palm Treos and Centros certainly did have a resistive touch, and he was clearly talking about devices with crappy touch accuracy requiring a stylus, which means the devices with resistive touch.

I know. My post wasn't meant to correct him, it was only complementary

Leave a comment:

• Vistaus
    replied

Yes, wow, very wow.
    LOL. I only now see it. N and W are close together on Dvorak, so my finger must've slipped to the W key

Leave a comment:

• L_A_G
    replied
    Originally posted by Vistaus View Post
    Where do you live? 'Cause where I live, Summer Break starts 1,5-2 months from wow.
    Finland, where school summer vacation starts this Friday and vacation season (during which most adults take at least their one month summer vacation) at jobs starts with it, lasting until the second week of August.

Vacation times and how much paid vacation people actually entitled to does differ from county to country. Here in northern Europe vacation season is the same as our school summer season that starts in early June and ends in mid August. As per the usual union-negotiated and universally binding (i.e they apply to everyone, not just union members) employment contracts people are generally entitled to a month's worth of paid vacation time and most people use it at some point during the school summer vacation period.

Leave a comment:

• starshipeleven
    replied

Where do you live? 'Cause where I live, Summer Break starts 1,5-2 months from wow.
    Yes, wow, very wow.

Leave a comment:

• starshipeleven
    replied
    Palm/HP webOS phones had capacitive touch screens, though.

Leave a comment:

• Vistaus
    replied
    Originally posted by L_A_G View Post

To me it sounded more like he was just trying to keep to known facts of the matter without anything extra. Which I honestly think is how it should be done.

Considering that summer has started I'm wondering what that'll do to progress on the software front. We're not talking about enthusiastic students here, we're talking about people who probably have families, kids, jobs with vacation time etc. and over the next few months they're obviously going to be losing everyone for a few weeks to a month when they go on holiday.

Don't get me wrong, it's not like people won't work at all during the summer. I myself lost my summer holiday the year before last because of a project that needed to be deployment ready by autumn and again last summer because I had only just started at the job so I didn't really have any vacation time to use for a proper summer holiday. However the only ones of my co-workers that did work trough the summer at my previous job were ones without a family. Everyone else went on vacation as we kept working and it obviously didn't help when one of said co-workers joked about "only" taking 6 weeks off when returning as I only took two days.

However maybe I'm just ranting a bit because of how I'm finally going to be able to take a proper summer holiday this summer, but will be spending at least half of it moving house (as if I hadn't done enough of that last year when I had to move back and forth because of a plumbing renovation).

Leave a comment:

• Vistaus
    replied
    that's a bit smaller than normal, and I don't like the small size of the text on the buttons, but a modern touchscreen can handle it. I mean smartphones with smaller screens existed (pepperidge farm remembers) and their keyboard wasn't that big either.

With decent capacitive touchscreens (hard surface, does not bend when touch, you don't need to apply force to operate them) the touch event is sent to the center of the pressed surface, it's not like a physical keyboard where if you push more than one key... you are pressing more than one key.

Nintendo DS and Palm had resistive touchscreens (plastic surface, does bend when you press it), resistive touchscreens are very rugged but always sucked at precision.
    Even with industrial control panels (that have to be rugged) when you need anything resembling fine control you need a stylus (or a stick), and therefore buttons and keyboards are comically oversized.

Also, do note that capacitive touchscreens have bigass "stylus" devices that aren't pointy at all.

That's without going into the powered stylus that senses the pressure you apply to it (which is mostly for artists).
    Palm/HP webOS phones had capacitive touch screens, though.
    Last edited by Vistaus; 05-29-2019, 12:30 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X