Huawei Linux Laptop Driver Improvements On The Way

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sonadow View Post
    The world's oldest surviving civilization...
    I'm sorry for going off-topic, and as I am unsure of what "civilization" means (whether state, nation, etc.), so I may be pointing something that does not contradict you, however the chinese are not the oldest nation, the jews are.
    Again, I am sorry for going off topic, and I was not trying to attack you either.

Comment

Why did Micro$oft sever relationships with Huawei, really? Was it, as rumored, because Huawei is better at spying than Micro$oft and they're dead jealous?

Comment

Originally posted by Bsdisbetter View Post
        Why did Micro$oft sever relationships with Huawei, really? Was it, as rumored, because Huawei is better at spying than Micro$oft and they're dead jealous?
        No, Huawei is under sanction. No U.S. company can do business with Huawei without specific exemption.

Comment

The world's oldest surviving civilization believes it has found the most appropriate governance model for itself is supposed to change its way of governance just because one country demands it?
          When did this civilization start, according to you? As far as I'm concerned, the civilization in China died in the early 20th century, and has only slowly begun to recover since.

And who cares how old a civilization is? How does that justify their actions? China's fascist government corrupts every company in its borders, and ultimately defeats their ridiculous totalitarian vision. When Chinese companies and persons impersonate my email address to U.S, Chinese, and Russian mail hosts (and the companies they serve), I can't even send an email to the administrators of the networks which host the scammers' servers; not Baidu, not ChinaNet Jiangsu; I'm not even allowed to send an email to these people, this is not a great society.

When you some day aren't allowed to see phoronix.com because Michael or a forum users says something the state doesn't like, maybe Michael tells people that Taiwan is a country, it will be supremely ironic.

The Americans get a free pass on spying on other countries such as Germany and the UK, and yet when China performs security surveillance in their own provinces it suddenly becomes a human rights crime.
          China has the world's highest population of imprisoned journalists, and those are just the people we notice disappearing. The Chinese state encourages Chinese people to harass dissidents (or people perceived as such), and ignores the crimes they commit. In the U.S, the government actually tries very hard to avoid even the scintilla of the appearance of suppression of journalists, and the public hold them to account without much in the way of fear. Notwithstanding all of this, it is nonsense to say that the PLA do not spy on foreign countries, you are just wrong if that is what you're saying.

May god have mercy on your soul.
          Last edited by microcode; 24 May 2019, 02:17 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by msotirov
            Not saying your facts on China aren't correct but I hope you realize how ironic it is to compare them to the US which is equally bad if not worse, just in different more subversive ways.

And when speaking about incarceration, don't forget that the US has 25% of the world's prisoners but just 5% of the world's population.
            Maybe so, but they by-and-large aren't in there for causing a public inconvenience to the government. There is no equivalence between the context of use of surveillance tools in the U.S. and China; they're not even in the same ballpark. In China, if the party stakeholders table a law, it will be passed, and there is absolutely nobody entitled to question it even in the most polite and sober terms. The question is not whether or not each state conducts surveillance (both domestic and foreign), but whether what they do with that is subject to any standards at all.

In China, the new eternal President's real selectorate are the sole deciding factor for the use (proper or otherwise), of the surveillance aparatus. In the U.S, it is at least considered to have been enabled lawfully by legislation passed by officials the public had a real opportunity not to elect, and the public considers that lawful enabling to be the reason it continues, whether it's something they appreciate or not.

So... no I don't see how the U.S. is "equally bad if not worse", nor that they are that way in any particular "more subversive ways".
            Last edited by microcode; 24 May 2019, 04:38 AM.

Comment

As a Chinese who browses a lot of English websites everyday when I saw such a China-related topic I already knew what the following discussion would be like. Some pro-Trump US people swear that all Chinese are IP thieves. Some frequent (western) mainstream news readers say China is a hell under communist dictatorship. Some more knowledgeable people explains why Chinese does something and how China has evolved in recent years. And then some self-proclaimed Chinese may pop up, either cursing the evil Chinese government or praising the smart CPC leadership.

And this thread is no exception. But actually it's quite special, because it is related to the company called Huawei. None of the people mentioned above can explain the existence of Huawei. How can a company become a leader in 5G technology with sheer IP theft? How can a company grown out of a hell with no human rights appear so open and confident? Why does Huawei perform much better than its state-owned competitor, ZTE, and why do a large portion of Chinese people either love or hate Huawei so much? How does the 'Wolf Culture' of Huawei fit into a civilization where people were tamed by Confucianism for thousands of years?

China is something so complex and fast-evolving that it's nearly impossible to understand fully. Even for a Chinese. Nothing from its commonly told history and culture suggests a company like Huawei. And no, I am not going to write a deep insight of this tech giant from Shenzhen because I am not capable enough to do so. All I can say is that Huawei is not the last surprise you will see out of china, and westerners should learn to live in a world where China is part of the leadership.

Comment

j
                Originally posted by microcode View Post
                So... no I don't see how the U.S. is "equally bad if not worse", nor that they are that way in any particular "more subversive ways".
                Nobody cares about how bad or good your countries are, that's the question of the people inside the country. The US is not the police of the world and Trump did not ban Huawai because China is no Democracy.

You also have Trade war with Europe which is clearly 1000x better in the terms you said, so why talk about 2 things that have nothing to do with each other?

And just to be complete, yes china is slightly worse inside the country, but your foreign policy is much worse, you murder people with Drones and you murdered 1mio mostly innocent people in Irak and more in other countries.

You also have torture camps, barbaric death penalty, you support dictatorships like Saudi Arabia and Nazi Regimes like Israel, you literally often overthrow democrats that are not us friendly and replace it with right wing dictators the list with that is endless.

So don't pretend that America cares about democracies you want US Friendly Dictators. You just try to overthrow the Democracy Venezuela and declare a not elected Person as new president, a Ruler that is not elected is the definition of a dictator.

But well let's move on let's talk about real things, so what is the real reason for this ban? If it would be only the fear that china spies on the US, it would be legitimate to ban Huawai from the US Market for selling Hardware.

But Trump wants more they push A other countries to do the same, so far you could say if you share intelligence information you fear that this get's spied on, fine. But you go further than that, you want to not deliver stuff to them, like Arm etc.

That is the proof that the reason is not the fear from spying but you do want to hurt China so that it is economically weaker, or in other wards you do a economic war.

So don't pretend all the bullshit fake reasons, you want to keep china small if they spy or not or it's a dictatorship or not you (the US) don't give a shit.

Comment

Originally posted by microcode View Post

No, Huawei is under sanction. No U.S. company can do business with Huawei without specific exemption.
                  Ah, sarcasm is often misconstrued.

Comment

Originally posted by blackiwid View Post
                    ...Nazi Regimes like Israel...
                    I'm sorry, but you have absolutely no idea what is going on in Israel. The "Palestinian" lies that the UN and European Union spouts are that, a lie. However they are up against other lies as well.

First of all, the State of Israel provides water and electricity free of charge to the "Palestinians" (the Jews are the real Palestinians, if you go by the original term coined by the Romans, hence the paraphrases), with the funding coming from taxes that Israeli citizens pay (the "Palestinians" do not need to pay taxes).

Second, the "Palestinians" keep on destroying the very foundations they receive, both from the State of Israel and from overseas governments and organizations.

Third, Israelis are being arrested and tortured by the Jewish section of the Shabak (General Security Service, akin to the K.B.G., for anyone who had gone through the communist holocaust (yes, literally, I know many people who had relatives tortured and/or murdered by the secret forces in the former U.S.S.R), for purely political reason, publicizing them as terrorists (even if they are 8 year olds), when the whole case against them is fabricated (this is just one case I had seen with my own eyes: a few years ago, I had educated a friend of mine about the differences and similarities between smartphones, when we were at the dorms of where we had learned,, and a few hours later he was arrested for attacking an Evangelical priest, at the very time he was in the dorms being lectured about smartphones. In the end he was released due to there being no basis for the claim (which, by the way, came from the police themselves), not before he was heavily interrogated and forbidden from meeting a lawyer).
                    Note: These arrests are at no specific time, and often without prior warning, including (but not limited to), the middle of the night, when no one can see what is happening.

Fourth, at the same time as all this, there is "freedom of speech", to a degree, with some outlets being allowed to publicize things, and some being semi-allowed to publicize (some of the reporters are occasionally arrested for reporting things things that had happened, particularly when they managed to record footage, when the official footage is either cut or missing. And many times the police and the main presses eventually admit that what was being reported by the the arrested reporters (which are usually freed relatively quickly (a few weeks to a few months), however there are multiple cases of people being held for 3-8 years for completely fabricated cases) was what had actually happened).

Fifth, Israel is at the forefront of technology, but if you visit Israel, you'll find that in many fields, especially technology, many things are still the way they were 10-20 years ago (though they do improve, albeit at a snail's pace), mainly due to politics and the fact that the related Departments need to get permission from the Electricity Company (yes, that is it's name, it is a former government owned company, and the only one allowed to provide electricity).
                    Case in point, cellular data in Israel is amongst the slowest in the world, and carrier adoption is, once again, amongst in the world.
                    Most of Israel can only get up to 40Mbt/s on VDSL2 (with vectoring), with 100Mbt/s being promised for over a decade, and fiber connections thankfully being upstarted by independent and semi-independent companies (started by independent companies), though only in a few cities, in a few neighborhoods, and even then, depending on the building (even new ones). There is only one company allowed to provide DSL lines, and that one too, was formerly owned by the government.

So while it is nowhere near as bad as Soviet Russia, and (in terms of free speech) China, things are murky enough that I can safely say that you have absolutely no idea what you are talking about when calling Israel a nazi regime.
                    Last edited by moriel5; 24 May 2019, 09:20 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by lixiao View Post
                      As a Chinese who browses a lot of English websites everyday when I saw such a China-related topic I already knew what the following discussion would be like. Some pro-Trump US people swear that all Chinese are IP thieves. Some frequent (western) mainstream news readers say China is a hell under communist dictatorship. Some more knowledgeable people explains why Chinese does something and how China has evolved in recent years. And then some self-proclaimed Chinese may pop up, either cursing the evil Chinese government or praising the smart CPC leadership.

And this thread is no exception. But actually it's quite special, because it is related to the company called Huawei. None of the people mentioned above can explain the existence of Huawei. How can a company become a leader in 5G technology with sheer IP theft? How can a company grown out of a hell with no human rights appear so open and confident? Why does Huawei perform much better than its state-owned competitor, ZTE, and why do a large portion of Chinese people either love or hate Huawei so much? How does the 'Wolf Culture' of Huawei fit into a civilization where people were tamed by Confucianism for thousands of years?

China is something so complex and fast-evolving that it's nearly impossible to understand fully. Even for a Chinese. Nothing from its commonly told history and culture suggests a company like Huawei. And no, I am not going to write a deep insight of this tech giant from Shenzhen because I am not capable enough to do so. All I can say is that Huawei is not the last surprise you will see out of china, and westerners should learn to live in a world where China is part of the leadership.
                      I'm not even interested in endorsing the ban, nor endorsing the trade war. I'm just here to say that China is awful, and they behave terribly on the world stage. It should not surprise anyone that some people don't feel like working with the Chinese government.

Comment

Working...
                      X