Huawei Linux Laptop Driver Improvements On The Way

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
    They are past that stage. Way past that stage. Are you still stuck in the 80s perhaps?
    Past what stage?

Comment

Originally posted by Etherman View Post
      Past what stage?
      "entirely reliant on stealing rather than developing technology."

Comment

Originally posted by wagaf View Post
        At the end of the day, sanctions against chinese tech will weaken US tech giants like Google and Microsoft, by forcing the chinese to develop and push their own platforms worldwide and to compete more directly against them.

A win for customers worldwide (less dependency to US tech, more competition) and a loss for the US as a commercial power.
        It's always funny to me, to see these 'armchair global economist' replies. The phrase "Don't quit your day job" comes to mind!

Originally posted by AndyChow View Post
        They steal from everyone.
        Fact. Funny how the newest Chinese military equipment looks like exact clones of US developed stuff. Hint: it's not a coincidence. It's partly a cultural thing, as they don't believe in the concept of plagiarism as we do. They see imitating (i.e. stealing) the works of others and putting their name on it as perfectly acceptable. Anyone who claims the Chinese don't have a long sad history of industrial espionage and stealing IP for profit is profoundly ignorant.

In fact, I've seen this exact phenomena so many times while working on my masters degree. Groups of Chinese students will all turn in the exact same term paper, just with a few sentences changed in the opening and closing paragraphs. When confronted about it, they act confused, claiming that changing those few sentences here and there "makes it their own" work. Even though it happens over and over, the school refuses to expel these clowns, because they come from wealthy Chinese families who pay big $$$ to send their kids to an American school. And the school is afraid of even the perception of "racism" that they believe would come with a mass expulsion of cheating Chinese kids. Sad.

We as a nation need to change course in our dealings with Communist China. Obama failed miserably at this, letting them run amok. I'm proud to see Trump is tackling this difficult problem that past presidents were too weak and compromised (google 'Joe Biden China') to address.
        Last edited by torsionbar28; 23 May 2019, 11:25 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by AndyChow View Post
          They stole the maglev from the Japanese.
          It was built by Transrapid International, (Siemens and TyssenKrupp joint venture), and it's the first train from Transrapid to be built in real life.

It's not really a good example of "not stealing" since there are like 4-5 companies in the whole world that can build such a train.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
            This is childish bullshit. What the fuck is an U.S. owned asset. We aren't in 1900 anymore, doing that would piss off investors from all over the world.
            If you need clarification I was talking about factories, buildings and various other investments in China made by U.S based companies. As for an example I'd bring up GM's Chinese-based operations which are currently making about a million cars a year for said market.

As for pissing off foreign investors, China's always been a precarious place to invest. It may not be as wild of a place as it was a couple of decades ago, but it wasn't long ago when corruption was so incredibly rampant that you had to pay bribes to do anything where the government could decide to make your life very difficult. Particularly customs officials were a notoriously greedy bunch and had to be constantly bribed so you could get raw materials and components in and then the finished products out. A friend of mine's dad was a sales executive at Nokia in the 90s and early 2000s and boy did he have some crazy stories to tell about how brazen Chinese officials were in asking for bribes.

Thus when you consider everything you have to put up when you do business in China and the fact that we're still talking about a single party dictatorship, having your Chinese-based assets seized because of some dispute between nations is something most well run companies will plan for in advance.

Trump's actions aren't even remotely comparable to this. Chinese oligarchs are fucking laughing at his little tantrum.
            Well in his defense he has decried just about everything you brought up and to some extent China's already been budging on things like the technology transfer requirement and the need to partner with a local company. Companies obviously should have just stayed out of the country rather than submit, but at least something being done about it years later is better than nothing.

I'm really not a fan of Trump, but that's something I really doubt Hillary Clinton would have ever bothered to push China on if she had won the election. Same thing goes for any other establishment politician.
            Last edited by L_A_G; 23 May 2019, 11:35 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by torsionbar28 View Post
              I'm proud to see Trump is tackling this difficult problem
              What Trump is doing isn't remotely close to what the US should be doing.

Comment

Originally posted by thebishop View Post
                If America's idiotic and unprincipled trade war makes Linux better, at least we got something out of it.

And to the guy saying China needs to "steal" to compete: please point me to the nearest US maglev so we can discuss it in person.
                Maglev? You mean the tech the Chinese stole from European (particularly German) companies? If Europeans weren't such greedy cucks, China would've failed a long time ago.

Comment

Originally posted by L_A_G View Post
                  If you need clarification
                  No.

As for an example I'd bring up GM's Chinese-based operations which are currently making about a million cars a year for said market.
                  Those chinese-based operations are done with chinese workforce and buy chinese raw materials and chinese components, to sell cars to chinese market. And it's done at the facility of a joint-venture with a chinese company.

Now tell me, who is the one profiting more from this. The "US-based company" or the chinese?

This is EXACTLY the same shit they pulled back in the day Britain was still an empire (creating a huge imbalance where cash only flowed TO china but not FROM china), and led to the Opium wars (british started making and smuggling opium to chinese to get some serious cash flow FROM china, and when the chinese empire started fighting that too strongly they sent warships to do what was later called "gunboat diplomacy").

As for pissing off foreign investors
                  No I meant that GM is a publicly traded multinational company. Everyone can invest in them, chinese included. Their operations span the whole world.

The whole concept of "US companies" is historical, any use of the term nowadays is only propaganda and populism.

I'm really not a fan of Trump, but that's something I really doubt Hillary Clinton (or any other establishment politician for that matter) would have ever bothered to push China on if she had won the election.
                  I really doubt that Trump will do more than useless posturing and going full retard mode for the sake of impressing the "less educated" he loves.

Comment

Originally posted by unixfan2001 View Post
                    Maglev? You mean the tech the Chinese stole from European (particularly German) companies? If Europeans weren't such greedy cucks, China would've failed a long time ago.
                    I was under the impression they paid for that train.

Comment

Originally posted by trethlyn View Post
                      On another note, I don't fully understand why China never embraced open-source everything from the beginning. Why even use (legal or pirated) closed-source software?
                      They had(have?) their own distro don't they? RedOS or something. And Deepin is a DE from China. Many citizens though are just comfortable using Windows or macOS, Linux is ok in a controlled environment, but can be otherwise limiting/frustrating for those less invested in it compared to the competing operating systems. Although at a hotel there the PC had Windows XP, and a company I visited was on Windows 7 still.

I don't know if it happens in western countries, but one thing that really annoyed me in China was how it apparently had no laws against advertising/marketing spamming your number(chinese sim card). Lots of SMS and some calls, locals were just used to it. I otherwise enjoyed the stay, in the city it wasn't too different from those I'm used to in the western world(advertising on the streets can be pretty bad/noisy too, some street vendors have a megaphone attached to a playback device on loop). I went to a tech expo and while I recognized a lot of the stuff companies were promoting as not all that innovative/unique, there was some of it, of interest was a school for children/teenagers focused on teaching innovation/invention, the students had come up with some cool stuff, I just played games at that age!

Comment

Working...
                      X