Huawei Linux Laptop Driver Improvements On The Way

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by trethlyn View Post
    On another note, I don't fully understand why China never embraced open-source everything from the beginning. Why even use (legal or pirated) closed-source software?
    Stealing IP and software is very easy in china, enforcement is limited, and companies are born and dissolve very quickly.
    They are getting better at enforcing this stuff recently, but it's still somewhat limited and their own tradition is that they do copy each other pretty heavily. They treat everything as "open source" to an extent.

I suggest watching this video about chinese locks, done by a chinese guy, as he does talk about this different mindset, it isn't limited to just lock manufacturers.
    This is UrbanHawk's talk from HOPE XI about Chinese Locks. The official recording was cut off and the DVD didn't have the whole talk, so here we offer this ...
    Last edited by starshipeleven; 23 May 2019, 09:49 AM.

Comment

debianxfce or the faulty encryption standard the nsa tried to include in android phones

Comment

Originally posted by dibal View Post
        Maybe Huawei has enough 5G patents to make it impossible to build 5G devices without a license from Huawei.
        That's Qualcomm.

Comment

lol at all the Chinese shills in this thread. You're a joke... and a bad one at that. Sorry but the moment the US pulls out of your Communist Dictatorship your innovation stops, because just like the soviets were you're entirely reliant on stealing rather than developing technology. No there will be no Chinese takeover of the market.

Also: Tiananmen Square, May 1989
          Last edited by Luke_Wolf; 23 May 2019, 10:07 AM.

Comment

If America's idiotic and unprincipled trade war makes Linux better, at least we got something out of it.

And to the guy saying China needs to "steal" to compete: please point me to the nearest US maglev so we can discuss it in person.

Comment

Huawei thought it was above the law, and that it could do whatever it wanted, including spying, stealing tech (including the foldable screen from Samsung), selling cellphones to blacklisted countries like Iran. I'm sure they were laughing about "stupid americans, lol".

I'm pretty sure they aren't laughing right now.

Comment

Originally posted by Luke_Wolf View Post
                Sorry but the moment the US pulls out of your Communist Dictatorship your innovation stops, because just like the soviets were you're entirely reliant on stealing rather than developing technology.
                They are past that stage. Way past that stage. Are you still stuck in the 80s perhaps?

Comment

Originally posted by thebishop View Post
                  If America's idiotic and unprincipled trade war makes Linux better, at least we got something out of it.

And to the guy saying China needs to "steal" to compete: please point me to the nearest US maglev so we can discuss it in person.
                  They stole the maglev from the Japanese. They steal from everyone.

Comment

Originally posted by asoltesz View Post
                    Isn't it a bit too late for Huawei to start correcting major missing elements in their Linux support?
                    Nope. They have hundreds of now-free engineers on the payroll with so many frozen/cancelled projects that can work on this. Shouldn't take more than a few months.

And if they really need the time they can just leak ARM's blobs and watch the US enter a IP litigation chain-reaction that would cease-and-desist Silicon Valley for years. But the Chinese government might want to reserve that particular nuke for when the going gets really tough.

Comment

Originally posted by AndyChow View Post
                      Huawei thought it was above the law, and that it could do whatever it wanted, including spying, stealing tech (including the foldable screen from Samsung), selling cellphones to blacklisted countries like Iran. I'm sure they were laughing about "stupid americans, lol".

I'm pretty sure they aren't laughing right now.
                      Talk about American exceptionalism. What device sold by an American corporation doesn't spy?

Comment

Working...
                      X