X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mroche
    replied
    Originally posted by shmerl View Post

Those are second generation to be clear (Zen+).
    Fair catch. I've corrected my statements to mention their version families, not generations.

Cheers,
    Mike

Leave a comment:

• shmerl
    replied
    Originally posted by mroche View Post
    shmerl I didn’t realize the E series had **5 variants. The A series is Ryzen 2 based, so I thought the T495[s] were the first Thinkpad's to get the 3rd gen chips.
    Those are second generation to be clear (Zen+). Zen 2 (which is third generation) is coming out this summer for desktop (7nm chips) and if AMD will follow their usual pattern, mobile Zen 2 will come out next year. So it won't appear in laptops for a while still.

Leave a comment:

• mroche
    replied
    shmerl I didn’t realize the E series had **5 variants. The A series use the Ryzen 2000 family of chips, so I thought the T495[s] were the first Thinkpad's to get the 3000 chips. What T series offers is a bit smaller/lighter machiner, brighter screen options, slightly larger battery, and more SSD space options out of the box (1TB). But the E series looks nice. I’m not crazy about the lower screen bezel, but that’s superficial in comparison to its value. The T-series also gets longer warranties and supplemental options, which could come in handy.

The A series though has an option for a 72Wh cylindrical battery...

Cheers,
    Mike

Edit: Changed the use of "generation" for release versions.
    Last edited by mroche; 20 May 2019, 08:05 PM.

Leave a comment:

• shmerl
    replied
    Originally posted by mroche View Post
    I’m looking forward to the Thinkpad T495.
    Rather I think E495 will be interesting. It's more reasonably priced and also Ryzen based:

https://www.lenovo.com/gb/en/laptops.../p/22TP2TEE495

Though, T495 is thinner and lighter, which is nice (I don't care about PRO processor really, it only increases the price).
    Last edited by shmerl; 20 May 2019, 04:16 PM.

Leave a comment:

• mroche
    replied
    I’m looking forward to the Thinkpad T495. Planning on getting it before I ship out for my summer gig, it’ll be the first AMD system I’ve ever owned (if it ships in time). Ryzen 7 Pro 3700U and RX Vega 10, I think it’ll be a great little machine.

Update: Pretty much everything in the Thinkpad lineup should be Linux compatible. The entire T series, and I believe X series are verified for RHEL (which helps me); if they’re compatible with RHEL 7 they shouldn’t have issues with more ‘updated’ distributions. I haven’t checked the other lines in Red Hat’s certification database[0], but I’d guess they are.

[0] https://access.redhat.com/ecosystem/...ategory=Laptop

Cheers,
    Mike
    Last edited by mroche; 20 May 2019, 03:16 PM.

Leave a comment:

• kpedersen
    replied
    Originally posted by DoMiNeLa10 View Post

I'd be happy enough if they released a decent ThinkPad again.
    Or just re-release the x61 for sub £80. They could kickstart the netbook era again and possibly make it stick this time.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Originally posted by timrichardson View Post
    And wouldn't it be nice to announce Thinkpads with pre-installed Debian.
    I'd be happy enough if they released a decent ThinkPad again.

Leave a comment:

• shmerl
    replied
    1. Lenovo should stop being jerks, and should start offering refunds for Windows tax (it's almost impossible now, unless you claim your refund through a court).
    2. They should fix their UEFI mess like this: https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPa...e/td-p/4191484
    instead of answering some nonsense like "this laptop is not supported on Linux".

Leave a comment:

• kaprikawn
    replied
    Originally posted by fuzz View Post

How can you stand that cringey hipster? I can barely think of anyone more smug and constantly sarcastic and full of themselves. But maybe you have a point.
    You probably have a point. Some of his videos can be a bit full of it, the 'I used a Casio calculator from 1982 as my main device for a month' videos I can do without. There is some good stuff every-so-often, the interview with the Redox OS guy, or the BSD one, they're pretty good. I like the conference stuff like 'Linux Sucks'.

Leave a comment:

• fuzz
    replied
    Originally posted by kaprikawn View Post
    These days I judge a conference by asking myself 'would Lunduke do this conference?'. If the answer is no, it's probably some corporate circle-jerk.
    How can you stand that cringey hipster? I can barely think of anyone more smug and constantly sarcastic and full of themselves. But maybe you have a point.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X