Librem 5 Developer Kit's Mainline Kernel Support Hits 12th Patch Revision

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Librem 5 Developer Kit's Mainline Kernel Support Hits 12th Patch Revision

Phoronix: Librem 5 Developer Kit's Mainline Kernel Support Hits 12th Patch Revision

While it's just the DeviceTree additions needed to the kernel for enabling the Librem 5 Developer Kit to boot with the mainline kernel, the DT files are up to their twelfth patch revision...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Well they're making progress at least... However I still get the feeling that they won't be launching with a mainline kernel as planned in Q3 (July-September) this year and will have to go downstream by quite a bit. Either that or launch in a state that makes the "beta" launch of the original Jolla phone* look good.

*Which launched like it did because Texas Instruments pulled the rug from under their feet when they drew out of the smartphone SoC market and they had to significantly re-engineer the device.

Comment

Originally posted by L_A_G View Post
      Well they're making progress at least... However I still get the feeling that they won't be launching with a mainline kernel as planned in Q3 (July-September) this year and will have to go downstream by quite a bit. Either that or launch in a state that makes the "beta" launch of the original Jolla phone* look good.
      It's not really a problem, because they won't launch in Q3 or anywhere close to it at all. We'll be lucky if we see a release in Q1 2020.

Comment

Originally posted by brent View Post

It's not really a problem, because they won't launch in Q3 or anywhere close to it at all. We'll be lucky if we see a release in Q1 2020.
        It's fine, everything is fine.

Comment

Originally posted by brent View Post
          Well Q3 is still their official launch window so we'll have to see which will have to give, the launch window or shipping with a mainline kernel.

If they still plan on sticking to their original plans with the current schedule I imagine things over there must be quite similar to this.

Comment

Originally posted by L_A_G View Post
            Well Q3 is still their official launch window so we'll have to see which will have to give, the launch window or shipping with a mainline kernel.
            Why not both?

Also, is that even bad? They are working on it and they are showing progress. Why ship a half-baked shitshow for the sake of not missing a "launch date", people has waited until now, they can wait a few more months.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
              Also, is that even bad? They are working on it and they are showing progress. Why ship a half-baked shitshow for the sake of not missing a "launch date", people has waited until now, they can wait a few more months.
              Probably because a lot of people have already laid out money for these phones and are getting antsy.

Comment

Originally posted by andyprough View Post
                Probably because a lot of people have already laid out money for these phones and are getting antsy.
                FYI: if they deliver a half-baked shitshow these people aren't going to be satisfied anyway, as the device will still be ready when the software will be ready.

People want a good and finished product. Shipping half-baked crap is worse than delays.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                  FYI: if they deliver a half-baked shitshow these people aren't going to be satisfied anyway, as the device will still be ready when the software will be ready.

People want a good and finished product. Shipping half-baked crap is worse than delays.
                  Many have tried to satisfy customers with kickstarter-funded mobile devices. Many have failed. I personally think you are right that they need to ship it as a finished, high quality product no matter how long it takes. But I didn't put my money into it, and the pressure will surely ramp up as more deadlines are missed. Recall, we just passed their second proposed ship date of April 2019.

Comment

Originally posted by andyprough View Post
                    Many have tried to satisfy customers with kickstarter-funded mobile devices. Many have failed. I personally think you are right that they need to ship it as a finished, high quality product no matter how long it takes. But I didn't put my money into it, and the pressure will surely ramp up as more deadlines are missed. Recall, we just passed their second proposed ship date of April 2019.
                    "Pressure" like what, angry people on social media? What is the competition? People will excuse them if they were noobs and gave time estimates that made no sense in reality. What's important is that they keep their promise on the hardware and software, and so far they didn't break it.

If they get to the end and ship a good and finished product within the next year it's gonna be totally fine, don't worry. We'll get a few trolls like birdie that whine about that, but overall it will be a success.

Comment

Working...
                    X