Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Linux 5.2 Ups Laptop Support From A New Intel Power Button Driver To Better Ryzen Input

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 5.2 Ups Laptop Support From A New Intel Power Button Driver To Better Ryzen Input

Phoronix: Linux 5.2 Ups Laptop Support From A New Intel Power Button Driver To Better Ryzen Input

Both Intel and AMD laptop hardware are seeing various improvements coming with the in-development Linux 5.2 kernel...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

* and a good share of various driver improvements anf fixes

Funny typo.

Comment

Great! I hope to get the touchscreen on my HP Envy 13 working.

Comment

Is Nice to see the amount of stuff that will be supported in 5.2.
        That kernel release seems to be huge..

Comment

And I just switched my primary laptop a Dell G5 15 over to Kubuntu because I was fed up with broken Realtek audio drivers and Windows 10 updates breaking things every two months requiring other drivers to be reinstalled without anything attached to external ports! Straw that broke the camel's back was the May 2019 update that rebroke external audio, any time a program opens the audio device you get an audible pop-crackle as it wakes up the external jack, and at the same time it broke HDMI-out with little green sparkles on the screen till I reinstalled the video driver.

Course, always good to see new support and enhancements integrated for new hardware in Linux and BSD land. My laptop is extremely well supported at this point even in Ubuntu 18.04 with all the backports integrated over the past year. There's not a feature that doesn't have support. It's running cooler, and generally more stable than it was under Windows 10. Microsoft had a winner in Windows 7 as a stable desktop environment, but they largely threw it all away since then. This Windows as a service concept is becoming a nightmare to deal with because OEMs aren't keeping up with everything that breaks when Microsoft forces an update down users throat. That doesn't even count when Microsoft themselves issue a broken update, which has happened more times than not in the last quarter.

Comment

Originally posted by stormcrow View Post
            And I just switched my primary laptop a Dell G5 15 over to Kubuntu because I was fed up with broken Realtek audio drivers and Windows 10 updates breaking things every two months requiring other drivers to be reinstalled without anything attached to external ports! Straw that broke the camel's back was the May 2019 update that rebroke external audio, any time a program opens the audio device you get an audible pop-crackle as it wakes up the external jack, and at the same time it broke HDMI-out with little green sparkles on the screen till I reinstalled the video driver.

Course, always good to see new support and enhancements integrated for new hardware in Linux and BSD land. My laptop is extremely well supported at this point even in Ubuntu 18.04 with all the backports integrated over the past year. There's not a feature that doesn't have support. It's running cooler, and generally more stable than it was under Windows 10. Microsoft had a winner in Windows 7 as a stable desktop environment, but they largely threw it all away since then. This Windows as a service concept is becoming a nightmare to deal with because OEMs aren't keeping up with everything that breaks when Microsoft forces an update down users throat. That doesn't even count when Microsoft themselves issue a broken update, which has happened more times than not in the last quarter.
            Ah, Dell driver shenanigans...

I remember one time where I was reinstaling Windows on a Dell laptop, then after manually installing the touchpad driver (yes, the correct one), the response of it became terrible. Suddenly I understood why the owner of the machine used it with a mouse...

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post

I remember one time where I was reinstaling Windows on a Dell laptop, then after manually installing the touchpad driver (yes, the correct one), the response of it became terrible. Suddenly I understood why the owner of the machine used it with a mouse...
              Don't get me started on switchable graphics on Dell laptops. Rather than having an option to set them up from BIOS, they made it possible to change settings from the operating system, and only Windows supports it. When I looked it up as I was setting one laptop up, I thought it was some kind of joke.

Comment

Originally posted by Jabberwocky View Post
                * and a good share of various driver improvements anf fixes

Funny typo.
                How in the world?

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post

I'd blame Dell, except I'm seeing similar reports from HP owners using Realtek drivers as well and equally upset about it. The problem started when Realtek updated their universal drivers for that security problem back in February and they broke something to do with power management on the external 3.5mm port. It has to wake up each time something wants to pipe audio to external devices (like external speakers) and that causes the popping-crackle.

As for the HDMI-out problem, that's an Nvidia supplied (direct from Nvidia, no changes) driver, and whatever Microsoft did to the May update apparently not only made that pop-crackle return on external audio, but it apparently overwrote something that the Nvidia driver used as well, hence the green pixel sparkle problem. Then later on I ended up with a BSOD on a Realtek driver but I'm not sure if it was the audio or card reader port driver. That's when I swore off Windows 10. Win 7 was a rock of stability for me, 10 has been a headache! I used to support forced updates, mostly because so many people would just never update their OS *at all* which was a major problem. But having forced *driver* updates and updates from Microsoft that are breaking hardware support and being unable to stop bad updates from reinstalling even if you've uninstalled them once already is an unacceptable anti-pattern.

I'm not blaming Dell really because they're mostly repackaging and rebranding the drivers from Realtek, Intel, Nvidia, etc with only minor tweaks if any at all. I'm blaming Microsoft for apparently not letting hardware OEMs access to the monthly updates in time to ensure compatibility and push out timely compatible updates or tell Microsoft to temporarily blacklist systems with their hardware till there's a workable solution. I'm blaming Realtek just for crappy driver development in general. :P

Edit: I use a mouse because I don't like track pads in general, even good ones. I only use a track pad when space is at a premium like on an airplane, at an airport, etc.
                  Last edited by stormcrow; 13 May 2019, 03:04 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X