Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Don't Hold Your Breath On UBports' Ubuntu Touch For Purism's Librem 5 Smartphone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• matv1
    replied
    No mistake. Tod Weaver appeared on the UBPorts Q&A and confirmed there that hardware would be supplied, similar to the Plasma Mobile people. Many from the UBPorts community, including myself in the Matrix channels, have contacted them many times since but it seems UBPorts were not included in the final shipping list. The last more or less concrete statement is that they (Purism) might be able to throw together some extra devkits from left-over spare parts. UBPorts is supposed to be somewhere on that list now. But that was like a month ago. So..

Leave a comment:

• johanb
    replied
    Just seems like a mistake on both Purisms part on not asking for shipping details and on UBPorts for not asking when they would be receiving the devboard so now they went forgotten.

This question has come up in a couple of other places because it seems that nobody at UBports received a devkit. I don’t know why that is - I assume that we have contact/shippping information for someone working on UBports. We’re looking at the situation regarding remaining devkits so I guess there will be a resolution to this soon. I’ll try and post an update if I hear something.

Leave a comment:

• andyprough
    replied
    Ubports is planning to support the PinePhone from day 1 from what I've been reading.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Considering that Ubuntu Phone has been effectively dead for a while, this is a good thing, as they haven't wasted these dev kits to get a dying platform up and running.

Leave a comment:

• L_A_G
    replied
    This is exactly why I suggested just using stock i.MX8 reference boards as the first version of the software devkit. Outside of the SoC it won't be anything close to fully representative of the final product, but at least it allows people to get started on doing software development months before the first boards production-representative sofrware dev boards are ready to start shipping.

Now the proper device is going to be massively late, but software devs aren't going to get anywhere near that amount of extra time to get everything working. I'm starting to fear that this may eventually turn into a repeat of the last time Microsoft took a real stab at Windows Mobile, which turned into a drawn out and expensive textbook case of too little too late.

Leave a comment:

• starshipeleven
    replied
    Originally posted by Vasant1234 View Post
    Just like in the desktop world, we will end up having 5 half baked mobile distribution for the GNU/Linux phone and none will ever come close to Android and its app ecosystem.
    Window of opportunity for a successful mainstream mobile OS has long since closed, not even fucking Microsoft (on mobile) could ever come close to Android and its app ecosystem.

Competing with Android isn't the project goal.

The GNU/Linux developers suffer from the NIH (not invented here) syndrome.
    There is no such thing as "GNU/Linux developers".

Also, this is a different project porting their stuff on the device. Purism should have just needed to provide devkits and documentation.

Leave a comment:

• Toggleton
    replied
    Originally posted by Ironmask View Post
    I sure hope this isn't Purism being petty and trying to dissuade Ubuntu Touch from being ported to the system because it's not "freedom-respecting enough"
    It did sound to me (in the Matrix Chats) like Purism has no Dev Kits left to sell/give

Leave a comment:

• Vasant1234
    replied
    Just like in the desktop world, we will end up having 5 half baked mobile distribution for the GNU/Linux phone and none will ever come close to Android and its app ecosystem.
    The GNU/Linux developers suffer from the NIH (not invented here) syndrome.

Leave a comment:

• Michael
    replied
    Originally posted by drlamb View Post
    As a backer of the Librem 5 I do hope ubports support materializes. It would be nice if canonical were to throw some weight behind the project now the "Linux phones" are becoming a thing.
    With Canonical still eyeing an IPO in the years ahead, it's unlikely they would re-add any resources to this effort when it's still a money losing venture. (Purism did already burn through their Librem 5 crowdfunding money.)

Leave a comment:

• drlamb
    replied
    As a backer of the Librem 5 I do hope ubports support materializes. It would be nice if canonical were to throw some weight behind the project now the "Linux phones" are becoming a thing.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X