Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Linux 5.2 Should Resolve Many AMD Ryzen Laptop Touchscreens/Touchpads Not Working

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 5.2 Should Resolve Many AMD Ryzen Laptop Touchscreens/Touchpads Not Working

Phoronix: Linux 5.2 Should Resolve Many AMD Ryzen Laptop Touchscreens/Touchpads Not Working

Linux 5.2 is certainly going to be a big kernel release... On top of many new features and other changes, AMD Ryzen laptops will be better supported by this kernel update to be released as stable around July...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Touchscreen worked since month with Arch Linux on my HP Envy x360 (Ryzen 5 2500), but latest kernel 5.0 is always stuck during modeset on boot and I have to use the lts 4.19 kernels.

Comment

Touchscreen on HP Envy 15-cp0001na is hit and miss. Sometimes it works, most of the times it doesn't. As far as I understood it is because of some ACPI registers retaining state.
      If I do a hard power off (hold the power button few seconds right after startup, so that the laptop powers off completely then starts), it works for that session.
      Laptop came with windows preinstalled. It doesn't exhibit this issue there. I hope the situation will improve in future.

Comment

This may be off-topic, but how can I totally turn off "disable touchpad when typing"? The detection mechanism is flawed and it often stops tracking my fingers for no reason.

Comment

I needed this driver since bios forced advanced mode for touchpad.

I just installed the dkms and things has worked fine.
          It was pulled back in late mars and queued for 5.2,
          Some distros patches the support but some patches an older version and build it into the kernel (ubuntu) instead of building a module so the kernel has to be rebuild but they build it as a module for later kernels.

Comment

According to the line from the commented commit
            Code:
            03:00.7 MP2 I2C controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Device 15e6
            it seems suggesting that controller may address that missing functionality of auto-rotation screen
            Code:
            03:00.7 Non-VGA unclassified device [0000]: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Raven/Raven2/Renoir Sensor Fusion Hub [1022:15e4]
            as found on mobile Raven Ridge laptop like HP Envy x360 Ryzen series.

According to https://github.com/linuxhw/LsPCI , it looks like the auto-rotate screen will finally work.
            Last edited by finalzone; 04 May 2019, 10:19 PM.

Comment

There are alot of posts on this issue on reddit linux forums.

Comment

Ha!

How about just finally getting my uber expensive R9 390 to work as AMD promised years ago?

Sheesh.

Old hardware or new hardware, loyal AMD GPU customers are screwed.

Comment

Originally posted by muncrief View Post
                  How about just finally getting my uber expensive R9 390 to work as AMD promised years ago?
                  Try this: https://www.phoronix.com/forums/foru...38#post1081538

Comment

Originally posted by muncrief View Post
                    Ha!

Sheesh.

Old hardware or new hardware, loyal AMD GPU customers are screwed.
                    Ah! You remind myself. I had a Radeon 7870 which I bought because of the open source driver promise. It never worked correctly. You come here and see all the improvements reported on the mesa drivers and it always felt like in the next 6 months (next ubuntu release) things will hopefully work. I waited years and years like that until I had enough. I sold it and got an Nividia 1050. Closed driver but I don't care anymore. It works perfectly and I don't have to wait when the next kernel/mesa/whatever will be released and what each distribution will decide to incoporate. The drivers also have a GUI (!). So you can imagine my recommendation. Get an nvidia card.
                    Last edited by zoomblab; 05 May 2019, 06:20 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X