Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buntolo
    replied
    I paid around 1000€ for a 13.3" FullHD IPS Clevo W230SS with SSD, 8 GiB RAM. i7 47XXMQ and NVIDIA 860M. 4 years ago.
    Can't they do the same thing for 700€ 4 years later?

Leave a comment:

• andyprough
    replied
    Those specs are actually pretty pathetic for $700. Looks like the type of laptop you might have paid $700 for about 10-12 years ago.

Leave a comment:

• vegabook
    replied
    Originally posted by kpedersen View Post

For 200 quid and components like a gen or two out of date Macbook or 2015 Thinkpad would be very feasible and perfect for most users. Yes, not for modern games but might bite into the thriving "5 year old second hand Thinkpad" market that is still dominating the Linux desktop world.
    We're talking about a new device that Dell needs to make money from. Of course there are a multitude of 5-year-old machines that work fine with Linux but that's an orthogonal issue. You're asking Dell to make a 200 buck machine. Come on man. Nobody on earth knows how to make a 200 buck machine that is not a total piece of crap.

700 bucks for a brand new machine that's not a complete dog, is actually great.

I'll even flip that on its head: I'd know Linux has properly arrived if a 4 grand machine pre-installed with Linux was viable commercially. I personally believe that Gnome 3.whatever that ships with Ubuntu 19.04 beats OSX hands down in elegance.
    Last edited by vegabook; 01 May 2019, 05:31 PM.

Leave a comment:

• kpedersen
    replied
    Originally posted by vegabook View Post
    How can you realistically expect a full on laptop that is not totally junk to be less than that.
    For 200 quid and components like a gen or two out of date Macbook or 2015 Thinkpad would be very feasible and perfect for most users. Yes, not for modern games but might bite into the thriving "5 year old second hand Thinkpad" market that is still dominating the Linux desktop world.

Leave a comment:

• vegabook
    replied
    Originally posted by kpedersen View Post
    Why don't they just release a laptop for ~£200 officially using boring hardware that is known to work well with Linux? It will be cheap, cheerful and may well become a cult classic.
    Because at USD200 it would be terrible, as you well know. A decent SBC with 4-8 and x86 with something better than SD card costs well over 200. How can you realistically expect a full on laptop that is not totally junk to be less than that.

Most people actually want the device they use for hours every day to have at least some nod towards aesthetic and mechanical finesse.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    What about releasing laptops with an option to get them wihtout RAM and storage? A setup without a solid state boot disk is at the very least insane, and 4 GiB of RAM isn't much, especially when this thing ships with something as heavy as Ubuntu with GNOME. Don't even get me started on the display, I thought the dark ages of 1366x768 were over, even Pine64 manages to sell a laptop with a 1080p IPS panel for $99.

Leave a comment:

• swagg_boi
    replied
    Originally posted by r1348 View Post
    ... in the meantime I'm stuck with HP Elitebook 755/745/725 series.
    I've exclusively used Dell and Thinkpads for the most part but I scored an HP Elitebook 725 G4 on eBay recently because (at the time anyways) Lenovo only gave you one (single-channel) RAM/DIMM slot in their AMD-powered Thinkpads... Not bad HP! Unlike my (Intel-packing) Thinkpad X280 there's a physical Ethernet port (why was this removed??), dual-channel memory, and it's still small yet serviceable with basic hand tools. Like Lenovo, HP provides a hardware service manual as well. It got me under the hood easily to upgrade the NVMe and add in a "WWAN" 4G LTE card I still haven't actually tried

Leave a comment:

• Britoid
    replied
    $700..
    1366x768

What? Just get a Chromebook and put Linux on it at this rate.

Leave a comment:

• wizard69
    replied
    Originally posted by r1348 View Post

They tried. They were called netbooks. They sucked.
    They sucked due to the wrong tech. SoC technology means we have far more capacity potential in a low cost motherboard. This is one reason why I would love to see a high performance ARM based machine to replace the high cost X 86 processors. Put together a motherboard with RAM for $100 add a $100 LCD and you have $200 left over for the case and profit. Yeah I know simplified but £200 is about $400 dollars. If you did Intel for the same performance you would be talking $550 to $600.

Honestly when I see the likes of Dell and Apple offering these stripped down machines, at high prices, I really have to wonder how many people fall into the trap of expensive updates to the hardware purchased through these vendors. 4GB of RAM is close to nothing these days purchased in volume. Oh by stripped down I’m talking about the RAM and storage. The whole thing smacks of bait and switch.

Leave a comment:

• wizard69
    replied
    Interesting but with the RAM and HD specs it looks like they are taking marketing cues from Apple! That is post up a nice price for a machine no one would buy today and then charge and arm and a leg for “upgrades”. Maybe they aren’t as bad as Apple but I’m no more likely to deal with them due to sleazy marketing practices.

Sad too too because the hardware could otherwise be very nice with a decent amount of RAM at that price.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X