Purism Announces "Librem One" As Their Privacy-Minded Software Suite

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Purism Announces "Librem One" As Their Privacy-Minded Software Suite

Phoronix: Purism Announces "Librem One" As Their Privacy-Minded Software Suite

Purism is now in the service business of selling privacy-minded software services to compete with the likes of Google's G-Suite, Twitter, and other platforms. Today the company rolled out Librem One as this new software effort...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I think this is a good idea, even if some features aren't released yet, it sounds good enough for me right now, unlike their half-baked "privacy" laptops that might be acceptable in the future once they manage to disable Intel ME (which will be a win for everyone willing to put enough effort to flash new firmware onto their computer).
    Last edited by Guest; 30 April 2019, 01:32 PM.

Comment

Yes! Now I have another alternative to ProtonMail

Comment

Sounds like they are simply picking up where Blackberry failed.

If Blackberry was able to apply what they accomplished on BBos onto Android, they would still be around.

Librem seems to picking up on a niche.

Comment

Originally posted by edwaleni View Post
          Sounds like they are simply picking up where Blackberry failed.

If Blackberry was able to apply what they accomplished on BBos onto Android, they would still be around.

Librem seems to picking up on a niche.
          The important element here imo is that it's all linux focused.

Comment

Originally posted by Baguy View Post

The important element here imo is that it's all linux focused.
            I love the fact that they will make Matrix client. Matrix has so much potential, but apps are really bad which might scare a lot of people.

Comment

Rather than a subscription to someone else's service. What I want is an easily deployable VM that has a dead easy IP/hostname configuration. That's preconfigured to handle phone backups/contact syncing etc. That you can chuck onto any hosting provider and then use as a private cloud. I'm sick of relying on Apple/Google etc for data management. I want to do it myself but I want it to be dead easy.

Comment

Fostering decentralized services: use our branded forks of apps, tied to our servers
                What?

Comment

Originally posted by DMJC View Post
                  Rather than a subscription to someone else's service. What I want is an easily deployable VM that has a dead easy IP/hostname configuration. That's preconfigured to handle phone backups/contact syncing etc. That you can chuck onto any hosting provider and then use as a private cloud. I'm sick of relying on Apple/Google etc for data management. I want to do it myself but I want it to be dead easy.
                  Like nextcloud available as snap, or YUNoHost, or the freedom box?

Comment

I'm' really happy to see someone doing that but I would have loved to see someone else doing it. Librem is jumping in so many fights they can't win them all.

Comment

Working...
                    X